1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pup

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by TIP, Oct 19, 2006.

1. TIP

TIP Pup

I have 7 pups who are 5 weeks old and 6 are very good when it comes to eating there food,but the runt of the litter does not eat very much and she keeps herself to herself whilst the others are just going crazy.

Should i be concerned about the runt?
    I try to feed her first but she acts like she dont know what to do so i have to release the others and then she will copy but she only takes a few bites on the food and just walks away?

Anyone with a bit of info i would appriciate.
    Thanks in advance.
    TIP

2. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

There are some vit-B complex vitamins that will increase appitite. Pretty much anything that strengthens the blood will do it. We use VAL syrup here with good success.

3. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

When did you wean them. If mama still has milk but her back on mom a little longer. Spome just need more time. Continue to try to feed her seperately as well. Have you hand fed her... if not that's another thing you should be doing. I'd also get her looked at by a vet

4. TIP

TIP Pup

The reason i took them off there dam was they were starting to hurt her and she would growl at them tryed hand feeding but she dont want to no.

5. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

If the blood builder dont help, and hand feeding milk in a bottle dont work, next would be tube feeding. Is the pup skin and bones?

6. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

Are you feeding hard food or soft? Hard food needs to be watered down a bit for the first few days untill they get the hang of it. Mix up some milk replacer in some puppyfood and feed her away from the other pups and see if she takes off then, But if she can still suck on mama let her till you get her eating like the rest. She'll be OK!!!

7. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

you may have to feed the little one separate for alittle while,,, and try the mom just with her,,,try mixing milk with the food to help softening up,,or canned food,,,

8. TIP

TIP Pup

Thanks lads some great ideas the one with the food mix with milk is working a treat but as she is the runt of the litter should i expect her to be eating as much as the others or should i not?

9. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Is the pup skin and bones? Or does it look healthy? That's the best to go by.

10. TIP

TIP Pup

Took the pup to the vets and they told me that it was due to dehydration??
    and are keeping her in over the weekend but they said every thing should be fine