1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puerto Rico: Governor veto leaves pit bull ban intact

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by StopBSL.com, Jan 8, 2010.

1. StopBSL.com

StopBSL.com StopBSL.com RSS Feed

Posted on January 8, 2010 by Stop BSL

Though I have only read the text of the bill via Google Translate, I am curious about the reasons Governor Fortuno gave when he vetoed it. It was my understanding from reading the bill that the proposed changes only affected ownership of pit bulls, not the definition of a dangerous or aggressive dog.

View the now-vetoed bill here:
    Original Word Doc in Spanish: http://www.oslpr.org/files/docs/%7B05E1029D-1436-4D01-927F-C41B341B755C%7D.doc
    Google Translate of Word Doc: Click here

PRico governor keeps ban on pit bull ownership | NewsOK.com

PRico governor keeps ban on pit bull ownership

The Oklahoman
    Published: January 7, 2010

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Puerto Rico’s governor has vetoed a bill to eliminate a ban on owning pit bulls and to regulate ownership of aggressive animals.

Luis Fortuno says the proposal would have forced owners to confine their animals to a cage and pay up to $300,000 for an insurance policy.

He says it would have affected owners of retrievers, German shepherds, Dalmatians, Saint Bernards and even Chihuahuas and poodles if they were aggressive.

Fortuno says the bill’s definition of an aggressive animal was too abstract.

He also says he fears the cost of an insurance policy would prompt some to abandon their pets.

He vetoed the bill on Wednesday.

Previous alert on Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico: Ban on pit bulls to be repealed Stop BSL

More from StopBSL.com...