1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Proper collar setup.

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by 40lbRed, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Today my dog got into an altercation with another dog and when I tried to pull her away, the collar slipped off. Needless to say I was just wondering how you guys fit collars and what make the most difference in keeping them from backing out of the collar.

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I have seen other posts here that say put a 1 inch collar on with the the 2 inch collar. It's harder to work it over the head that way. Either that or fit the collar more snug. What kind of collar are you using?

3. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

I just use a simple quick-release collar.

4. If a dog is on a chain most of its time....I prefer a 2" collar fit tightly around the top of the neck. You should almost struggle to get one finger between the neck and the collar.

5. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

www.stillwaterkennels.com best collars around. Throw those quick release collars in the trash they are an acident waiting to happen! As far as fitting a collar I use the 3 finger rule, if you can't put 3 fingers between the dog and the collar it is to tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  6. forty6mantis

forty6mantis Big Dog

agreed. unless your dog has a very slender head coming off the top of the neck you shouldn't need to use the small collar in front of the big collar technique but make your own hole on the two inch to get that inbetween fit from the stock holes.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Lose the quick-release collar. Get a nice buckle collar -- Stillwater is great -- and fit it so you can stick two fingers under it. If in doubt, pull it up behind your dog's ears and see if it'll slip over. If she's really bad about collar slipping, you might need to use a martingale-style for walks.

8. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Quick release collars are fine for inside the house but there is always that chance they come unsnapped. I use them on my show dogs so it doesn't cut the hair or make a mark on their fur. But these are house dogs.

If you need control you need a buckle collar. It doesn't matter if it's a 1" or 2" it should fit lose enough to fit a couple fingers under but tight enough you cannot slip it over the head.

I have a few dogs that have to have buckle collars. If an accident happened I have to make sure I have a good collar on that dog.

If your dog is on a chain set up use a 2" collar. It rubs less on the neck.

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Mantis beet me to it i have seen and herd of dogs with small heads and big necks that slip there collar all the time. Duches is damn good and slipping hers but i got a Stillwatter collar and it hasn't hapened sense.

vic

10. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Ok, the three finger rule is helpful. I've had buckle collars on her before, it's just hard to find smaller ones locally that are tough enough and if you get a big one and pop your own hole she'll chew on the extra. I guess I should cut the extra off in the first place, if I can't find an alternative. I'll check out stillwater.

11. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I got the collars from them with velcrow on the end so they cant chew. You should check them out.

12. undamineknls

undamineknls Banned

your first mistake you are cheat on the collar(not bashing).
    the clips on them break easy.
    i myself use 2" collar and only be able to slip 2 fingers under the collar

13. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

just put a harness on the dog if you are having problems with the collar slipping off because the head is smaller than the neck.

14. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Dogs can back out of harnesses, too. If they can get an elbow past the strap that goes around the ribs, it's no different than slipping a sweater over the head.

15. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

good way to come out in the mourning and have a dog choked to death.....some of you all amaze me....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  16. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

NEVER tie a dog out on a harness.....Also if your going to have a dog tied up all the time ( aside from its hour or more of off the chain time EVERY day) trie to use at least 1.5 collar if not a 2" collar. cause alot less stress on the dogs neck as the weight of the chain is distributed across a wider median.....makes it alot more comfortable for the dog. and u should see more activity on the chain....

17. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Quick release collars, even for housedogs, are not trustworthy in my opinion. All it takes is hitting the end of that hard, one time and it's on.

Not to be redundant (sp) stillwater has THE BEST collars money can buy. I am w/ Vic and get the ones w/ the velcro ends, not only do they look better the dogs won't chew on em'.

I have went as far as buying them in bulk, JUST INCASE, Shane were to stop making them someday. I have about 40 of them at home right now!

Good Luck:)
    Andrew

PS: Is 3 fingers too much? I am more of a 1 or 2 finger type of guy. (no strange comments, please)

18. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Stillwater is great for collars, but I buy from Tablerock. I like the colors better but I guess that is because I'm a women:p
    http://www.tablerockharness.com/SecurityCollars.htm

I use them for Schutzhund when I back tie my dogs. I also know many people that use them on the Chain set up and they have never failed.

She has the 2" collars and the 1.5". The 1.5" collar has more holes so it is easier to find a good fit for the dog.

19. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

those are nice collars. but DAMN there expensive... Shanes collars are just as nice and MORE THEN HALF THAT PRICE CHEAPER... lol.....

20. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Yeah but not much for color;)lol