1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

problem with carpetmill?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by williewonka1, Dec 30, 2009.

1. williewonka1

williewonka1 Big Dog

cant get my female to use this thing for nothing....any suggestions would help.
    this is the first dog ive had that freaks out on the thing im stuck.

2. Jelet

Jelet Banned

Do you know if your dog is anxious when it comes to cats/rabbits? You could try going to your local pound and getting a cat or rabbit. Next, putting it in front of your dog in a cage. And your dog will maybe start running on the carpet mill to go after the animal. And give the cat/rabbit a good home. Win/win situation. Just make sure you have your blinds closed so your neighbors do not see and get the wrong idea...

3. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

hides are good bait for most dogs

4. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

Look at what kind of drives are her strongest, then incorporate that at the head of the mill, start slow and reward big....my boy would sell me for food....very high food drive, my girl would do anything for a tennis ball, very high play drive!!!!!

5. Preciouspits508

Preciouspits508 Top Dog

Whats her favorite toy, got a flirt Pole? if so hang it in front of her snd the carpetmill, she should want to get it

6. williewonka1

williewonka1 Big Dog

this lil bitch loves everything, flirtpole, hides, chew toys, treats, other animals... none of it has worker so far as soon as i put her on it she freezes like a popsicle.

7. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

is she apprehensive when she gets on the mill-like freaked out?
    i have found w/ a carpet mill-because of the angle, its easy for a dog to get it moving before they are ~ready~ and can get freaked out by it.
    what worked for me was blocking the carpet so it wouldnt move, and build up to it ( like a platform), so the dogs can literally walk up onto it without it moving on them. once they are comfortable being in the chute then i would start them out. it can be a slow process but if you try and force em' you can pretty much forget about it

8. williewonka1

williewonka1 Big Dog

@rr yeah i have heard this so the last few times ive put her on i would lift her and set her down with the mill stopped with my hand. all the time praising her and letting her have her chew toy.but the entire time on the thing she just just tenses up real bad. guess its back to the good ole long handwalking days

9. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

does your dog not like being in small spaces? she may go into a crate because its bigger an seems like a dog den. try taking a side panel off the carpet mill if yours has them.

10. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

It could be the mill. I have a dog right now that simply would not go on my old mill. It was pretty much on the way out when she was introduced to it, and had a little more play in the carpet than I would have liked, and although other dogs had no problem with it, there was no go with this dog no matter what I waved in front of her. I bought a new mill, and she sprinted on it the first minute with no bait at all. So, if you have the opportunity to do so, try her on another mill and see if it is really the dog or just the mill.

11. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

Go back to square one and just put some treats on the mill and let her find them. Keep it up several times a day till she is more comfortable walking up the mill to get the treats. Be sure to put the treats in several different spots on the mill so she will have to actually get on it and sniff around for other goodies. If she is frightened I would put off trying to run her till she gets over her fear. For now I would just build her confidence with the treats.