1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Price of puppys

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by burs, Mar 28, 2004.

?

Are Puppy Prices Outrageous These Days?

1. Definately

75 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Not Really

43 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. burs

burs Pup

Just wanted to get some feed back on the price of pups these days. Is it just me or is it out rageous! Theres people selling pups off of parents that havent been culled and asking 1000.00 for the pups just because of the bloodline. I can understand if the parents are proven then i would say they would be worth 600 - 800 dollars . Is it just me or are the prices outrageous these days?

2. gator

gator Big Dog

I do agree the prices are getting a bit scary especially with un-proven backgrounds but all you have to do is not buy anything you are un-sure of. I really don`t think you can put a price on a good one though.

3. Gamest

Gamest Pup

I also agree. To many people are buyin these PUPS with big names in there peds and STUDIN to high for dogs that have sat on tha chain their whole live.

4. MMK

MMK Guest

personally i dont think any pup is worth more than 600 unless it is off a ROM dog. and the only reason pups off a rom dog would be worth more is just becuase u are slimming the chance of getting a dud. the price of pups is getting so high it makes more sense just to breed to the stud used in the breeding cause it can usually be done for about the same price as buying just one pup. but that is just my opinion
    MMK

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2004
  5. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

The price is outragious on pups today. We are just tryin' to get some good ones into some good hands. Our pups range from 300 to 500, depending on the size of the litter and Parents. Alot of people have gotten ridiculous with that stuff. They're CRAZY.

6. MMK

MMK Guest

thats a reasonable price in my opinion. i dont think anyone would complain about your prices ever. glad to see some people arent trying to grind everyone for their arm and first born for a pup.
    personally i am not really going to try to sell dogs anymore unless i have a ridiculasly big litter to where i could not afford to keep them all. too much of a hassel, people say they want the pup then never come through or something like that. if i had too many what ever i must sell doesnt sell it is going to my friend who got me started in the dogs free of charge as i am sure the deed would be repaid in the long run and he would compete with them if they turned out. after 6 pups i would plan to keep the rest has to go. that is alot of money to set up 6 dogs with everything they need if u go out and buy the best u can get ur hands on rather than buying half ass equipment. it is all little things for the most part but it adds up quick.
    MMK

7. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

If you don't like the price.......don't buy the pup. The Law of Supply and Demand will determine price. If you have great lines, you can't place a price on it. Yes.....some people are stupid with their prices but you are even more stupid for paying it. Someone once asked me what a dog was worth and I replied "every penny I can get for him". A dog is worth what someone will pay.

8. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

There is absolutely no reason a puppy should cost 1000 and up, a pup is just a pup until it has proven itself, regardless of whom it is off, as we all know, even the best of dogs can be less than average producers. Alot of the reason for the high prices are the amount of folks involved with drug money and such that can afford to pay these prices, these prices are not your average working man or woman prices, and the breeders get money hungry and start caring only about the $$$ that pup will bring in and not give a damn if the pup goes into the right hands or not. Just my two cents...

9. gator

gator Big Dog

BBK, You are so right very well put!!!!

10. Bada boom! ...and i'm a college student :(

11. 3BK

3BK Pup

Outrageous? IT'S CRAZY!!!! To think that we have to import some dogs to get new blood!!! But we do have some good breeders here that have some great dogs and produce good ones at that but at a very good price! Well... adluts are still quite expensive tho'...

12. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Yep, prices are absolutely out-fuckin-rageous. I've talked to a few people who actually believed their pups could be worth $1000, now maybe some Show Ch. pups, because ya can tell early on what they'll most likely look like. But I'm into performance, and after 18-24 mo. they may end up culled, and who the hell's gonna pay that kinda money for a poss. cull, with out maybe a guarantee.

13. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Prices are not much different now then they were twenty years ago. In the eighties pup were going for $500.00 each by numerous famous kennels. The major difference is that most back then were being used, tested and produced by dogmen. Today most people don’t test their stock and are breeding young dogs. With the invention of the Internet and bad press the pit bull market has exploded in popularity.

A pup price is determined buy how much the breeder likes it and how bad the individual wants it. For instant GrCh Lukane was Victor’s pick male, a certain individual wanted the dog bad enough to offer Victor $5000.00 for the pup (too much?). That is a lot of change for a pup, but he turned him into a champ and made a lot more money. The next kennel finished his career and made even more. Most are over-priced though coming from unproven breeder and/or dogs.

14. somethings change and others stay the same.......:rolleyes:

What has been the most you have paid for a pup? Me, I paid $900 plus shipping.....Well, I paid less for another but I did fly to pick him up. I was very happy to do so. I had the opportunity to meet a few stand up fellows that had a very clean yard with some healthy fat dogs.....all of them wagged their tails to greet me.....it was a wonderful experience that I would not hesitate to repeat.

15. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Well, most of the pups I want are at a reasonable price.

Now some people do charge too much, in my opinion, but I guess someone is willing to pay it.

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i dont mine paying for the pup, although hopefully i wont have to again, but i hate how much it takes to get a pup to Iowa from the east coast.

17. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I thought this was the best response to this thread. Simply put, because someone is always going to be willing to pay it. The way I see it, I would never charge someone that much for a pup that I knew personally and knew they would do right with the dog, but for someone I don't know from Adam, $1,000.00 and if they don't like it, take a walk, it's nothing to me to if you don't buy the pup, I don't use dogs to get rich or survive, I have jobs for that. I would rather keep it anyways because if it ends up turning out then their worth much more than that inital price tag.......so shit or get off the pot.....My advise would be to get to know the people you get dogs from and they will, most times, not ass rape you with a high price tag.........;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  18. forty6mantis

forty6mantis Big Dog

i won't buy a pup that is less than 8 months old so i wouldn't know. if you want performance and are willing to pay a grand, pick an up an up and comer and get to work. unless you have a lot of time, land, and money, (which i have none of) buying pups are the hard way to go. but if you pay 1000 for a designer papered pup and don't know the breeder on a personal basis, then you are not close enough into the party and i would work on that. money is not the issue; connections, friendships and integrity determine more what you get for your money.

19. I think its hard to imagine paying that big money for a pup that could be lazy! Now, if the breeder would do an exchange program, then I might be more willing.

20. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Yeah,I know what you mean.Shipping is a pain.