1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Prey Drive

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by SAM_I_AM, Mar 31, 2006.

1. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

A dog will either hunt or it won't. Like I said earlier, my dog killed a groundhog OUT IN OUR YARD. But I didn't "stage" it. "Staging" hunts is sad, IMO. Prey dive is pretty inherent and IMO shows its self (or dosen't) at a very young age.

2. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

Ever try boar hunting? It doesn't test prey drive so much but it really pushes your dog's ability. Prey drive can also be encouraged by letting him hunt with another dog to give him an idea of how much fun it can be. It of course would have to be a familiar dog yours gets along with or you could end up testing some other drives!

3. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Nope, I've never hunted boar. Although I hope too some day. I wouldn't do it with the nutered pound dog I have either, I'd use a dog from proven hog hunting stock.

And I'd have someone who knew what they were doing show me the ropes. I can handle that its dangerous but there is no reason to be foolhardy by going out and just trying it without knowing what I'm doing.

Kind of a moot point as long as I'm living in PA. Not a lot of wild hogs up here.

4. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

I live in Michigan so I don't have many up here either but I go down south a couple times a year with other people and their dogs. It's pretty easy to find someone to carpool with. Cold Steel Pits are really into that and they'd probly help you out. They have some well bred dogs too.;)

5. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

I thought neutered dogs were preferred as hog-hunters?

6. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Nutered is kind of a secondary issue. I don't know my dogs background and he's 10-11 years old, with congestive heart disease.