1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

prey drive

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Esse818, May 10, 2007.

1. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

does any one have a dog with a lot of prey dive that as soon as it sees another animal it don't listen to commands?

2. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

yes..my female is like that...my male trembles and drools but waits tell i say get it..they get tunnel vision..a friend of mine lost a dog after a deer...

3. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

my girl wants something so bad she crys / squeckily voice.its kinda imperrasing hearing her.

4. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

almost like a whistling sound yeah thats the i want it let me go..i had a male that did that screamed like the devil and would bite at my leash and hand..;) gave him to my brother..it sucks and no matter what anyone says you cant stop it.......she a hunting dog..put her to good use.

5. Attila

Attila Guest

I have several like that. Two that will try to chew the lead in half to get loose. I have to keep snatching it out of their mouths. Most of mine will sit till I say go. Nightshade and Robi are the two that absolutly can focus on nothing else but getting to something. So far the coyotes, bear and the two cougars the dogs and I have taken out didn't get to run far. It really sucks when you loose a dog or two in a chase. These dogs will run themselves dead to catch what ever they are after. A bear doesn't have that kind of wind, coyotes can run a ways, cougar can stretch it out and really put some distance in. But then they circle back to trade sides on the hunt. always keep your ass behind you and be watching it if your game is a large cat. The use of bay dogs becomes very important when you loose sight of your dogs, and you will. Off track a bit. Anyway. Yes I do have some like that now and have many times over.

6. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Yeah, Tess will just go. Sometimes you can whistle and get her back, but usually not...Notch usually will sat, but his eyes won't stop looking, but if it's a rabbit, there is little chance of making him stay...They both have some pretty high prey drive.

7. RedNoseProdigy

RedNoseProdigy Big Dog

My female is like that....but she will still listen to a certain extent....my male just stares and drools like that other dude said until i say get em

8. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Diesel is like that to a degree... it depends on the other dog.

if the other dog is barking he is going nuts, but if the other dog is intimidated and quiet i can usually get him to calm down. But thats all... he will still make a go for the dog if he gets the chance.

SOme dogs are better then others though. i have seen dogs that are fine with dogs of the opposit sex, or dogs that are smaller then them, or younger then them, or dogs that they grew up with, or dogs they are introduced to properly and then there are dogs that are simply never okay with another dog. they want to take it out on sight, no matter what the distance is.

as far as animals like rabbits and squirrels I take presidence over them. i can call him off of a dead chase and he stops on a dime.

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

LOL,I think I know the noise your talking about kind of like a small horse whinny(sp)?joe does it too when he sees another dog.His isnt prey drive though,he just wants to play with the other dog.Y almost year old female,Iz ,is like that with the prey.Once she gets going on the poles she just goes crazy.

10. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

cougars?thats crazy!Do you mind if ask what you do with them after,do you skin them or stuff for a trophy or what?

11. Phebes

Phebes Guest

My male Duds has been like that since a pup. It was very imbarassing to take him for shots. This little guy always screaming like a banshe at strange cats and any dog that bark or growled.
    At about 6 months he was going crazy trying to get at a GSD and he redirected grabbing my hand. As soon as he realized it grabbed me he let go and was very upset about it. He has never done it since.
    Duds favorite things to start screaming to get at are raccoons, stray cats and any dogs he hasn't known since a tiny pup.
    This has been cause for concern here lately. Had a rabid fox in the drive last week. Then a few days ago a rabid raccoon. AC got the raccoon but the fox was never found. I watched him stagger up my drive. When I went inside to call AC and get a gun he was gone. A few days later my neighbor open her front door and there was a fox 10 feet away. The fox just sat there staring at her, she went back in the house and didn't call AC. Neighbor thought the fox was acting funny but never thought of rabies.
    Upper Virginia is in the middle of a big rabies outbreak.

12. koening

koening Top Dog

well, if we're sharing, let me share my dog's prey drive. he screams, growls, pulls, allmost hangs himself on the chain or in the leash, but the only if i give the signal GO . he usually comes back if i call him. this is the male i got. my female, she doesn't listen to me that good, but she doesn't have that much of a prey drive, she is more territorial then the male, that's how i observed it . i'm glad my dogs haven't had an accident yet, and i hope they won't have any :)