1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Prey drive but no play drive

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NC, Oct 25, 2007.

1. NC

NC CH Dog

So here's a question for those more knowledgable than me... everyone knows my little Eli bitch Angel. I've been trying to get her to play springpole or tug of war.. anything like that. I've got the hides from Boogieman.. which are great but she just won't play with them... But if you bring anything with four legs near her the fight is on...she'll chase critters, anything with 4 legs and fur is fair game, she loves to chase things at are alive and has no interest in things that aren't..

Is this something that ya'll have come across before? Is there anything I could do to get her more interested in the hides or is this like a hit or miss thing?

2. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i have a dog like that..even if you throw a ball he will sit there and look at you"nice throw"..but climb a tree for possum..they were not made to play with hides;)

3. simms

simms CH Dog

you can try and entice her with the hide at the end of a flirt pole. If you have a dog that will work the flirt/springpole let her watch that dog work.

If she is just starting on the springpole you can use a tight braided rope. This may be easier on the mouth . However never leave them unattended, as a dog could make short work of a rope.

I'll try and post an example of what I start em out with ....by this weekend.

4. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I am so sorry but I just can't help it

Tie a cat to the springpole [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ChiaPit likes this.
  5. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

man i got a little bitch like that i call her my little shellshock. she plays when she wants too. trying the flirt pole with your bitch. mine is only 4 months

6. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

Same with my boy Tyson. goes crazy at any animal/birds but wont play tug or hit the spring pole or anything like that but then I developed this technique.

But what I do is get a size 5 soccer ball and start kicking that around he really loves them and then when he is all happy and still keen I will take the ball away and then get my spare lead and entice him with the lead and let him grip and jump at that then do the same with the spring pole. Then ill take him off after 5-10 mins.

I think the trick is to get something the dog likes to slip them into play drive mode.

7. redripper

redripper Big Dog

I had/have one just like that, just not interested unless it has a pulse and fur. What I did was get the spring pole and take it over to one of my other dogs chainspots in front of her and started playing, she got so furious and jealous she was foaming. Then I walked over to her chainspot with the pole and she was more than happy to play. Thing is, she still won't play unless there is another dog close enough that she thinks I might walk over and play with it instead. :)

8. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

hides work nice for most dogs NCPG, but like was stated, small and furry does it. i imagine right now is a good time for squirrels in NC? go get yourself a squirrel and skin the bugger and wipe down your existing hide with the squirrel one. or use a relly fresh hide from the butcher to get her started. then wean her off that to regular ones. i personally prefer coon urine. something about it makes em nuts. you can get it at places like durhams, sportmart, cabelas, or even some bass pro shops. try it and let me know how it works. :)

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

She's too smart. LOL

Oddly enough, that is a problem we see mostly in our females, and very rarely will we have a male not go nuts for a hide or rope.

It's no big deal, she doesn't need to be conditioned on a spring/flirt pole anyways NC .