1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pretty normal behaviour?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by viegas703, Jul 2, 2010.

1. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Some of you might know me from earlier posts. My pup is 8 1/4 months now and he lives at home with me and 2 other dogs. Yes he is watched around them. Anyways, he gets along pretty well with them. Except for the 24/7 rough play( none of it gets too out of hand) and then theyre buddy buddy. But when it comes to other dogs, cats, rabbits, birds,squirrels, all he wants to do is kill them all. Is it abnormal for an apbt to get along with other house dogs? or will there most likely be a point in time where he will be off the wall and cant even be around them?

2. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

in two weeks he may turn to the stage where you cannot have him around them. In two years he may get to the same stage, every dog is different.
    you never know he may never even get to that stage.
    but as long as you know chances are it may happen and are ready for it when it does with any luck you will have a plan in place.
    Have you got yourself a breaking stick yet?
    Owning a stick or three and owning an apbt come hand in hand.
    he is at the stage now where you should slowly start to work him on his own without sufficient working on a springpole or a flirt pole and lots of walking, he will be way more energetic, and bored and problems will start sooner rather than later.
    pretty much the only way i can walk my house dog past another random dog out in public, is off the ground and in my arms.
    The one thing you will need to understand is Apct dont need other "doggie" friends they are more than happy with people and they get along with us alot better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  3. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

The dog gets worked as hard as he possbile can for his age, i dont push it. Hes got a lot of drive and energy so its easy. I run, walk, and go biking with him daily. i gotta keep my eyes open on biking cause if he sees an animal he puts himself in take off mode and ive almost hit the road a couple of times. Yes i have a breakstick at home. All i know is that with my dogs at home the most it ever gets to is some light rough play, but they get along very well. theyre very attatched. But any other animal is fair game to him. I made the mistake to put him around my aunts full grown GSD a couple months ago and he went berserk, growling, barking, and would lunge at him and not let go. had the big dog hiding under the table.

4. bigtooth

bigtooth Pup

"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don’t think there’s anything man wasn’t meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn’t do."
    -David Cronenberg

Lol was reading something the over day and saw that quote and just though of your post!!

Accident waiting to happen me thinks :rolleyes:

5. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

your knocking on wood.if it pops off it will really pop off.there's always a small chance it can work but the key word is small.

6. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

with all your reading and posting since owning kane, is this something that you seriously didnt know the answer for? now youve been on here now for awhile have had plenty of pr3eptime for when it happens, do you think you are ready for when shit breaks off? does the dog have a area like a chainspot, or a kennel run made ready for him to be segregated from the others once it happens?
    the situation you and your dogs are in is the one that causes the most problems, people who think a apbt needs doggie friends, or that the da will be 100% controlable.

keep reading friend, it sounds like there is i bit more you need to do.

7. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Thats exactly it! With that question, It sounds like you should have been thinking a few more steps forward in regards to DA and rough play potentially getting out of hand. And it does VERY QUICKLY! My boys 8months now and he's getting quite aggressive and firey towards other dogs and animals. He has known my mums dog since 8wks and can "tolerate" MOST of his behaviour, but must be supervised very very closely at all times. Your situation could either become a nightmare if you're not prepared, or a dream if you're ready for it.

8. wait til he grows a pair of balls..........watch the fur fly and vet bills mount. your making a rod for your back, a multi dog set up is doomed to failure if they're real bulldogs!:dogstare:

9. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Whoever said I live with my parents and said dog?? Or leave the dogs alone for more than 10 mins supervised?
    PFFFFT!:D

10. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I have a dog that was nothing but fire at a young age and killed the neighbors husky at 7 months old(neighbor kept letting him run loose and he got in the wrong chainspot,not my fault) and I've had them not turn on for 2 years,some dogs don't never turn on and stay cold as ice.But the safe bet would be to expect it and keep them seperated and have lots of breaking sticks.Like was said,APBTs don't need doggie friends,they do fine with just us.

11. quinny

quinny Big Dog

I am a firm believer of this also.

He is nearly 9months and has never been on the ground for more than a minute with mums dog around and it's all very well supervised from close up. I knew it wouldn't last forever and it's already at that point.

So you're going to say that multiple dogs on adequate chain spots just wont work?? I'm starting to wonder how many bulldogs you've actually seen.

12. Boze

Boze Top Dog

there have been countless dogs that would get along with dogs they grew up with i can name about ten real bulldogs that got along with other dogs and that is only off the top of my head some are virgil, bolero, twoeyes, stomper, stonewall, a few colby dogs that i can not remember, gr ch bronson, and a few recent ones. many dogs will get along with the opposite sex. it not ideal like everyone has said but it has been done, but you gotta remember it was done with men who know there dogs very very well and no what to look for.

13. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Thanks for all the responses. MY boy is 8 and 3/4 months old now and gets along decently with the house dogs. Although walking him has turned into a bit of a hassel, big reason why i now walk him at night. He cant see another dog without all his muscles tensing up, ears perking, pulling as hard as he can with that whine that lets you know what he want. I made the mistake 3 months ago letting him be around a full grown GSD and he and his little 5 month frame put as best a working on that dog as he possibly could, blood dripping out of his mouth and GSD hiding under table. He hasnt been around another dog since then. Im currently working on making him a quality dog house outside my grandfathers house where there already is a chainspot setup.