1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing a dog for a weight pull??

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by tigerboy5, Apr 3, 2013.

1. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I have put my fair share of hounds in keep before for confo shows but never a weight pull contest. My question is how do some weight pull competitors prepare their dogs for an upcoming event? Do you start a certain number of weeks out from the show and work a certain number of days a week? What do the workouts consist of? Just some things i have been wondering for a while.

2. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

Im kind a new i will be starting my dog in weight pull during summer .I would just do like you for confirmation show but dog more roadwork like letting your dog pull old tires with wieght pull harness and dragging chain

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Do you guys strip them down to a small weight to improve the weight pulled per pound ratio or just bring them in big?

4. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

there are weight classes, so I imagine there are some that will be better going heavy in a class rather than being on the light side of the next class.

5. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

Doesnt anybody know much to join Iwpa

6. sranchito

sranchito Pup

7. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

My dog pulls better a bit heavy

To get him ready I will start drag pulling some chains for half hour every other night after work the other night big long walks or steady long bike rides I will increase the drag weight till its 2x his body weight and increase the distance of the drag up to 1.5 miles but its important to not over work your dog I always keep a long lead on the drag weight so he never stops if he does I take over snd let him think he's pulling it this will help to keep him trying in comps and not stand there giving u that look like no way it's to heavy u pull it lol

Wen its a bout 3 weeks away I get thd sledge out out in on hard ground but with carpet down so it feels like the track and work him with some weights moving up like in a comp

And my pulling club lets u practice there on a Saturday so u can get your dog used to there set up

It's like a keep but more pulling less sprinting spring pole is good thou I find and also running helps to work decry muscle group but less off that more pulling but I find give them a week off pulling any thing for the week leading up to the show just keep them super fit and mine pull much better after a week break there dieing to pull after all that pull work they need there pulling fix lol

8. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Went to my first one last weekend. Took one of my girls and gave it a shot. She pulled the cart, with about 10 blocks on it, and than we were skipped for some reason, than came back in at 980lbs and almost pulled it. This was her first time being in a pull harness and she did make me happy. I know - that aint shit compared to some seasoned pulling folks. My buddy has a lil 17 lbs patterdale that pulled 139x his body weight. That was impressine. There was also a beautiful lil crenshaw bitch that had to be around 30ish...she was pulling with the chevy dogs and that was impressive.. seen the videos and good job!
    My buddy seems to keep his fatter also. My dog weighed 50lbs.
    My buddy pulls drag weights for training. He has been pulling average 1000lbs more than what he did week before.
    Been to a few, first actual pull for me. Now that I know I have one that will, she may go to more!!

9. Mickeyg

Mickeyg Top Dog

She will defo go more mate its all about them finding there techquices mate not all about strength and teaching the dog to never stop trying is the hardest bit for me a good dog won't stop trying to move the cart untill u have to get it pushed through

10. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

xray the dog before putting it in harm's way.