1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Prepare for a Show

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by MASON, Apr 19, 2006.

1. MASON

MASON Big Dog

In two weeks me and my 9 month male pup will attend our first ADBA Show. I was wondering if it would be smart to feed him before the show, or should I wait until after?

2. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

I Feed Mine After When I Go

3. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

just make sure you don't over feed him. 4 ft lead required,don't let come in contact with another dog, never let the dog come in contact with the judge., must be able to show the judge the dogs teeth, and no snap collars. bring a crate for your dog also

4. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Just curious, where is the ADBA show?

5. MASON

MASON Big Dog

Thanks everyone for the input. The show is the Palmetto APBTC at the Taylorville Fairgrounds, N.C. Does it have to be a 4ft lead exact or does it have to be longer that 4 ft?

6. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

It can't be any longer than a 4 ft. If you are planning on going to the pointed ADBA show on April 29 and 30, it is at the Hickory, Fairgrounds. If you need directions just pm me.

7. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

It should be 4 foot, which is a standard size sold. Most clubs will let you in with a longer lead but ask that you choke up on it by wrapping it around your wrist to make it shorter. And as was mentioned, no snap collars, make sure that you have a buckle collar.

If you watch the classes before yours, you'll get the idea of what to do when it's your turn.

Good Luck!

8. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

They will not allow you to show at this show if you do not have a 4 ft. or shorter lead. You also can only have a buckle collar. They don't mind what width or color, but it can only have a buckle. You can buy everything you need at this show if you need to. Good Luck!:)

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

When I'm going to a show that I suspect might start later, I give my girl a half-breakfast and feed her up good when she's done working for the day. If its an early show, I don't feed her until she's done.

10. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

I've never been to any ADBA show.. Are they open to the public?

11. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I've been in contact with some folks putting on a show in south La. in Sept. I'll be going to some to the fun shows this summer and I can't wait to see what it's all about. Sounds like some good family fun and I think my boy will do fine.

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

ADBA shows are open to the public. Its a real laid-back environment. You should hit oen of their shows if you get the chance. (I think they have a rule about no unentered dogs on the grounds, though. Might want to ask in advance if you're thinking about bringing your dog.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2006
  13. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

Here's the general rules:
    ADBA Show Rules — All dogs must be ADBA registered and unaltered to compete in point events * no puppies/dogs allowed on premises unless entered in event * All children must be supervised by an adult at all times * No choke chains or spike collars, buckle collars only * No females in heat * No dog aggressive humans or human aggressive dogs * All dogs must be crated when not competing in events * No puppy sales allowed * No "facing-off" of dogs, "challenges" or un-sportsman like conduct allowed * No alcohol at show * All non food vendors welcomed

14. 420puffer

420puffer Big Dog

Cool, thanks. i wont bring my dog though.. i just want to watch

15. Yes i think they are open to the public

16. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

do people at those show like that have on them a brake stick? I don't here anyone talk about it in the rules or haveing one on them there in case of an accident.

17. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

are there any shows in milwaukee wi??

18. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Yes, the ring stuarts always have one, along with pretty much everyone that is showing a dog.

19. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

thanks just wandering.