1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Preparations for Dog's passing???

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by Prosk8erbabe, Jun 29, 2007.

1. I'm not sure where this topic would go, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.

So anyways, my dog of 15 years is nearing her final days of livilihood. I can see her day in and day out holding onto her life as much as she possibly can. I hate to think about because she is my baby ... but it is inevitable ... I would like to know what kind of steps and preparations I should take when the day/time comes, ie burial plots or cremation ... and other things ... i mean I'd like to go about it as if it were a human passing away but I know my dog would like to keep things simple ...

I live in the San Francisco area and know of only one pet cemetary in the area ... so if anyone knows of anything in relation to preparations and such, I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

2. simms

simms CH Dog

Contact your Vets office. I'm sure they work with company's that will provide the community with final arangements. Wow! 15 yrs old, how lucky you are.

3. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

Losing your old friend will be hard indeed, you will know when the time comes....They look at you and you will feel it in your heart and soul that it is time, my 13.5 & 14.5 year olds both did. It is good that your are preparing yourself now. We had my 1st bulldog creamated, I couldn't bear to be without him. Your vet should know who deals in pet cremations...if you choose to go that route...There are many options available in pet urns...

http://www.pet-urns.com/tower-urns-p-536.html

http://www.bestfriendservices.com/commerce/ccc1006-wood-pet-urns-tower-photo-urn--pet-urns--pet-loss--pet-cremation-urns--cherry-pet-urn--walnut-pet-urn--photo-pet-.htm

http://www.peturns.info/inc/sdetail/1136

http://www.peturns.info/inc/sdetail/1137

http://www.chowtimeproductions.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=11

On of the hardest things we can do is to let them go with dignity, my thoughts are with you as you prepare......

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ​
    -Roger Caras- ​

4. cremation is well priced in most places and you can pick a nice
    urn right away or they give you well wrapped box till yo do

dont wait till the last minute
    regrets are hard to put behind you
    if your beloved pet suffers

ive had a 17 yr old dobie and 10 yr old dane
    pass within months of eachother

my pits line live to twenty( so far the family line has)
    they will probably live to dig mommie a hole in da yard
    for me to crawl in on my last day
    they just might out live me

i hope you will take the time for yourself as your pet
    knows, you have been a wonderful doggie parent

peace and healing to you,

5. Thank you everyone for your responses. My family and I have discussed what we should do .. but it's is definitely one of the hardest things for us to decide on. We have also spoken with our Vet and gotten all the respective contact information we may need. As of now, it is hard for me to even look at everything and come to terms with it ... but i see it in her eyes that she's letting us know, she can't hold on any longer.

We will let her go with dignity ... everyone should be let go with respect and dignity... dogs are no different.

Yeah, 15 years is a long time ... I've had her ever since I was 10 years old ... I think it's harder for my 2 younger siblings to let her go ... my younger brother being only 3 when we first got her so he's grown up with her all his life.

Well once again, thank you all.

How do you move on after the passing? how do you come to realization and have the strength to go on? She's my baby ...

It's definietly going to be hard .. especially since I have another dog whom is 14 years old ... I'm scared his time will come soon after :(

6. Michele

Michele Guest

you take it day by day.....that's all you can do...your dog will not be with you physically, but she'll always be there spiritually....

keep the faith

7. Phebes

Phebes Guest

The best cure is a new puppy. I have lost many dogs through the years and a new puppy just seems to make the loss easier to take. I have also found never get the same sex or the same color so you won't compare and find the new pup lacking. After all you just lost the very best dog in the world so you need a dog very different to fill your time and to love.
    In your case might as well get 2 puppies so your male is to busy to miss your female dog when her time comes. Might give him a new lease on life. JMO

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. When my last dog of 12 years passed we had her cremated. I can understand since the dog in my avatar is around 13 years old now.

9. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I had a dog die last year and we had him cremated. I have him in a little box on a shelf in the living room with his collar and tags draped over it. It sux when it comes time to make "the" decision.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

Here at our clinic, you can bring your pet in and we can PTS with you in the room, or not=your decision. most owners opt to stay with them "til the end". One of our vet does house calls and will PTS right at home. again, owner's decision. Then we give you contact info if you opt to cremate. We send the pet off and the ashes get returned to us, and we then call the owners to pick them up. We have a holding policy, as well, until you're definitive on your decision. obviously EVERYONE is emotional, understandably, so, no rush.

as far as going on, it's hard, undoubtably, but i think, as well, a new pup sure works wonders. we had a PTS a few days ago. both wife and husband were uncontrolable (for me, it was a VERY very hard case. i'm ok when women cry, but when men do, i sometimes lose it too=did that night as well) and the first thing the wife said was "Thank God we have the two others (one was a pup) at home....
    so, just a lil food for thought...
    as stated, day by day, sometimes minute by minute.
    and do you(we) EVER really get "over them"?
    no
    i don't think so. the passing of time just helps to ease/numb the sorrow.
    and honestly, imo, a pts (put to sleep) is one of the most unselfish decisions you can make, and undoubtedly, the hardest....
    VERY sorry for your predicament.
    RIP baby!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007