1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Prenatals??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Outsider, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

Thoughts??

2. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Could you be a little clearer.

3. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

As in prenatal care or vitamins....?

4. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

exactly...thank you

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

If you are speaking in terms of prenatal care for a bitch, it's a must IMO. A good exam at the onset of pregnancy including weight, temp, fecal check, temp. is a must. I also like to bring the bitch back in around 40-45 days for an x-ray for several reasons: 1) you will know how many pups to expect during birth in case of an emergency & 2) the vet can monitor the development of the pups. At this time, a nice once over again with another weight taken is great.

As far as prenatal vitamins go, if the dog is getting enough of a quality food & plenty of water, she should be perfectly ok. However, if you are truly unsure & worried, it's not going to hurt anything provided you don't overdose.

6. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

Thank you..appreciate it..

7. Suki

Suki Guest

I would recommend them as well. Actually, if you know when you are going to breed, you can adjust your bitch's nutritional requirements even weeks before the potential breeding. And as Mia mentioned, just don't over load. With vitamins, more is not alwyas better and can be just as damaging, (from a nutritional stand point). And, if you're not certain where your brood stands nutritionally, a simple blood test can detirmine that for you, and then take it from there. But, I say, in moderation, they are fine and i would recommend using them, along with a really nutritional diet.

8. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

What prenatal vitamins would you recommend?

9. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

I used Puppy Gold with my last litter. I fed it to the bitch during the last phases of her pregnancy then gave it to the pups until they were weaned and after for a while(until I ran out). In my litter there were no runts and all were healthy pups.

The Puppy Gold REALLY helped with weaning the pups. Keeping weight on and nutrients in my little bitch was another issue. She was barely 30 lbs and had to feed 8 pups so it was taking its toll on her body. I also think the Puppy Gold helped with her recovery. The thing I liked best about the Puppy Gold is that you KNOW that the pup is getting all it needs and more between the milk,puppy gold and a premium food to wean on.

10. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

That K9 Puppy Gold sounds like good stuff, I think I'm gonna try it out..Thanks Jeeperino..thanks everyone for your post..

11. Suki

Suki Guest

For bitches, you can try Sure Grow 100, or at my old vet, we used to sell Pet Tabs, i think they were called.

1-800 PET MEDS has a decent site with a bunch of vitamins, etc. with fair prices.
    ...just a thought....

12. Outsider

Outsider Big Dog

Thanks Suki..appreciate your help!

13. Suki

Suki Guest

:) ....anytime.

good luck with her!!!