1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pre-Keep Questions

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by THELIONSDEN, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Hello My name Is Juan And I have A 15Month Old Red Nose Girl That Im Trying To Enter Her To A Show,She Looks Good As Of Right Now,Never Worked Her Just Everyday Fetch,Flirt Pole And Running Around The Yard With My Other Dogs.Im Trying To Start Her On A Good Workout Program.I've Heard Of People Using The Phrase Pre-Keep And Was Wondering What Kind Of Excersice Program Do U Guys Reccomend?I Dont Have A Mill But Do Have A Springpole But Doe'snt Show Much Interest In It.As far As Her Diet,It Consist Of 2.5 Cups Of Dry And One Raw Chicken Thigh And Add Canine Red Cell Every Once In A While. I Do Walk Her And She Is A Puller Especially When My Other Dogs Are In Front.Current Weight Is 42.5lbs And Would Like To See How She Will Look After Her Excersice Program And A Good balanced Diet.Any Help Would be Appriciated,New To This Forum But Will Definetly Be on Here Alot More.Thanks!!!

2. put some pictures up of your girl. Also what registry are you showing in? UKC, ADBA, AADR, etc. Believe it or not that will make a difference.

As for the "pre-keep" question all this refers to is the period of time that you use to toughen her feet, and get her mentally prepared for a longer period of intense exercise. Just start to walk her more and more often and gradually increase the distances (using a longer lead, maybe 15-20ft) in a more rural area will allow her to run more distance back and forth and be more effective for exercise. Then research the forum for tips on drag weighting, add a few minutes of flirtpole (and other ways to do sprints), and you mentioned that you fed dry daily I was just wondering what brand and recipe?

Eitherway good luck with your research.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Eagle, is there an appreciable difference between ADBA and AADR conditioning? I've been interested in trying AADR if they ever hold it near here again.

4. not necessarily...the big difference I was referring to is between the UKC and the other two. A dog should be able to be well conditioned, and show well under all three standards, but we all know that is not the case. Similiar looks between the ABDA and AADR, and a different look for UKC judges (hence bully UKC champions)

Here is thread with a bunch of pics from last years AADR nationals you can get a good luck at some of the dogs, and their general desired physique from here
    http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23952

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks! I'll check it out when I get a chance.

6. Well Its Really An ABKC Show But I Like Taking My Girl There Since She Looks Alot Different Than The Other Dogs There And Their Aint Many ADBA Shows Here in Cali that We can Go to So These Show Will have to Do For now..She is Registered With APBR I Know Im Probably Gonna get Bashed For This But When i Got Her I Pretty Much Got The Messed Up Part Of The Deal.Guy Took My Money Said He Would Bring Back Her UKC Papers The Next Week,Never Saw His Ass Again,i Was Beating Myself Up For That For Quite A While But I Got Over It And remebered A Saying That i Heard Somewhere. A Dog Makes The Papers,The Papers Dont make The Dog.I Love My Girl very Much,Papered Or Not.I Had To Register her Thru APBR Since I Wanted To Enter her Into Some Shows in The Future.

As Far As The Pre-Keep,We Started A Keep A few Weeks Back And We Had To Lay Off It For A While Cause Her Pads Were Wearing out,So We Gave it A rest But Before We Start It Again I Wanna Know How To really Do It Right This Time. I Heard Of The James Crenshaw 12 Week Program And heard It Was A real Good Keep.The Keep We Were on Was probably Pretty Intentnse For her And Thats probably Why Her Pads Wore out Quick,It Was A 6 Week Program With A 2 Week pre-keep.

As far As Diet Well It Was pretty Much A Basic Diet,2.5 Cups of dry food At Night With 4tsp Red Cell Mixed In And One Raw Piece Of Chicken(wing,Leg,Thigh) And The Food She Currently Is On Is Strongpoint Hi-Pro,Not The Best Food But Its Decent Plus The red Cell makes up For Whatever Vitamins And Minerals the food is lacking On.Thanks For Your Help Really Appriciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  7. Heres A Recent Picture Of My Girl Lil Miz J-Low,Currently Weight 42.5lbs But Like To Drop Her To Dead 40lbs,Looking Nice And Healthy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  8. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

The pre-keep is basically the period of time that you use to prepare the dog to go into the keep. This period may last 1-2 weeks. This is where you will de-worm your dog, start making changes to the diet, and start to exercise the dog a little.

9. She Will be Dewormed On Monday And I have been Slightly Changing her Diet Little by little. Is There Anything I can Use For Her Feet When Her Pads Start Wearing Out?

10. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

There are numerous pad-tougheners on the market. Some decent ones are "Blue Foot", "Pad-Kote", and "Tuff-Pad". You may also want to try the All-Weather "Mutluks" boots (although they're sometimes a pain to get them to stay on) to help condition your dog's pads.

Good luck.

11. Thank U I'll Check Them Out

12. jason r

jason r Big Dog

lets see a ped. juan.curious what she is.

13. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i saw a bunch of blue dogs with giant spike collars

14. I Dont Have Her Pedigree Like I Said When I Bought Her I Got The Messup Up Part Of The Deal,I Love Her Regardless,Papers or No Papers.The Guy Just Told Me She Was Castillo Blood. She Is A Good Girl And Has Lots Of Heart.She Has never Quit On Me Even After Her Foot Pads Were Wearing Out.I Dont Plan To Show Her But Do Like Going To ABKC Shows Just To Trip People Out LOL.She Is A Very Diffrent Looking Dog Than The Ones At The ABKC Shows.To Each His Own Thought.As far A Her Food Intake I Was Thinking Of Going Fully Raw But We Will Keep The Dry So I Can Mix In Her Red Cell But Will Add A Drumstick A Day Too. She Is 42.5lbs As Of Right Now But Will Try And Drop Her To a Solid 40lbs.Do U Guys Think Her Diet Is Good Or Should I Change It.I Feed Her Only At Night,Ohh Yeah This Is Her Food Intake: 2.5 Cups Dry Mixed With 4tsp Of Red Cell And One raw Chicken Drumstick A Day.

15. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Regarding the diet, every dog is different. The amout of food that works for your 42.5lbs dog....might not work for my 42.5lb dog. Its something that takes alittle adjusting and fine tuning. If it is your first time conditioning a dog. I would suggest keeping notes, keep a careful eye on your dog. Look for things like too much weight loss, lack of energy in the dog. There will be times when you might have too add or subtract from the feed amounts.

I have used the product Tuff Pad. It seems to work pretty good. I dont use it much, i really make sure to toughen up the pads during the pre keep phase. And during the keep, i try to do all the sprints, chain pulling & jogging on grass/dirt. Good luck man, give us a update and let us know how things turn out.

16. jason r

jason r Big Dog

well i checked out your home page and am curious how you came up with j-low being 75% re and 25% castillo.do you think you can take a guys word that you say screwed you over.

17. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Whatever diet you choose, needs to be started months before the keep begins.

18. Look Brother I Dont Know Why It is but Everytime I Go On A Different Forum There Always Has To be A Guy Like U Busting Somebody's Balls.I Dont Think I Have To Tell U Evevrything About My Girl,I Came Here Asking A Question About A Certain Subject And If I Recall It Had Nothing To Do With Bloodlines,But If You Really Have To Know And Before U Go On And Do A Background Check On Me Brother I'll let U Know Whats Good.A Friend Of Mine Reccomended Me To This Scumbag Guy Who i Bought My Girl From And When The Deal Went Wrong I Was Pissed And Called My Buddy So He Could Call Him And Let Him Know About The Papers,He Wanted More Money For Them So I Passed. All I Found Out Was That She Was 75% Edge And 25% Castillo.I Seen Her Mama Aand Dad And Both Dogs Were Small,Dad Was No More Than 55lbs. And Mama Was No More Than 45lbs. So Brother Do Me A Favor And If U Not Gonna Offer Any Help Please STOP BUSTING MY BALLS!! :D

19. Thanks For The Advise And Yeah Imma Start taking Notes And Writing Everything Down.From Food Intake To Lack Of Energy.As Far As Her Pads Wearing Out Now That U Mention It We Were Walking At Least An Hour A Day And Did It On Mostly On Concrete,So From Now On We Gonna Start Doing Everything On Grass Or Dirt.Imma Still Try That Tuff Pad Product Just In Case.We Gonna Start The Pre-Keep On Monday or Tuesday When We Recieve The Red Cell.I Will Watch her Food Inatke And Adjust It As We Go.Thanks

20. Yeah her Diet Has been The Same For Quite Some Time Now,But I Will Adjust her food Intake As We Go,As Of Right Now We Doing 2.5 Cups Of Dry And One Drumstick A Day.Do U Guys Reccomend Me Breaking That Feed In Two Since I Only Feed Her Once And Thats At Night? Thank u