1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Potatos

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Junebug, May 24, 2008.

1. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

Started to incorporate this into my dogs diet but they refuse to eat it which is strange because they will eat anything including tart grapefruit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Do potatoes have a substantial amount of nutrition to be used in dog food? I don't know, I would think maybe sweet potatoes.

3. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

Substantial would be the operative word here and the answer is no. I use high-end kibble and supplement heavily. I was planning on using potatos (sic) as a non-toxic filler to add and maintain bulk. I know a few old timers (35 years in bulldogs) who use it with Ol' Roy and their dogs look and act healthy and will give you 2+ hours OTC. Genetics is the primary component. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  4. Sir, why do you want to add potatos to your dog's diet? I do not get it.

Some kibble companies that run "Holistic" choices use potatos instead of grains mainly for starch purposes. Potatos do have vitamin B and carbohydrates.

5. Your complicating yourself.

6. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

I agree. Nutrition can be very complicated when done properly which may be the reason why a good percentage of people and their dogs are unhealthy.

7. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Ahh, I get what you're saying. So the kibble and supplements have all the nutrients you need, but with high percentages, you need the extra bulk to even it out?

How are you serving it? Honestly, I've never fed potatoes outside what's included in kibble, but since it's just a filler anyway, does cooking it matter? I would think maybe mashing them and mixing in all of the kibble and supplements. That way it all goes in together.

8. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

does cooking it matter?

I dont know but heat can do funny things to ingredients. Sounds like you know more about this stuff than i do. Thanks for the advice.