1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by total768, Jun 17, 2004.

1. total768

total768 Pup

I need help. I just got my first pit. She is about 8 months old. The problem is she is just to damn friendly. I need some tips or anything that can help me. She dont meet a stanger. She will go up to anybody. I try to keep her away from other people as much as possible. I dont know if it is because of the puppy still in her or what. She goes crazy when she sees other dogs though, so I know there is some fight in her. Thanks

2. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

There is nothing wrong with your dog being friendly to others. Unfortunately, they are easier to steel that way. Several of my dogs from the past have "never met a stranger" as long as I was home. The minute I left them and told them to "stand guard".......St. Peter couldn't have gotten past him. If your dog loves you then continue to love it and keep the bond growing because this is a breed which will give its last breath to protect YOU. Treat this dog as your best friend because they are!

As a first time owner.......please read as many articles and historical information here in the forums to help you better understand exactly what you have now. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want as the GAME-DOG Staff will be glad to assist you.

JMAN

3. Icarus

Icarus O.APBT'S

Theres nothing wrong with your dog being people friendly. You don't want to make him aggressive toward humans and become another headline.

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Sound to me you got a good dog there. IMO you don't want people crazy dogs, nothing but trouble to come of it, plus one bite can undo a ton of good. I think what your sayin though is too friendly, might be stolen. Yes, watch that lots of POS dog thieves. If you can keep it inside.

5. CRG

CRG Top Dog

dogs brought up to be people agressive is part of the reason why these dogs get such a bad rap and irresponsible owners.

6. KURUPT

KURUPT Big Dog

What everyone has failed to tell you is...The pitbull has been bred for over a hundred yrs to be a people friendly animal..People aggressive pitbulls are a rarity and should be put down...I hope that's not what you want this fine breed for..If it is? You choose the wrong breed....If it's not you have a friend, not a pet, that will give his life to protect you and your family........

7. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Well said BNK...a bulldog should not be people agressive as it is against their "normal" instinct. Man biters do happen along once in awhile, and should be culled from the gene pool. Do us, your dog, and yourself a favor and go buy a German Sheperd or something if you are looking for a guard dog...

BB

8. HCK

HCK Big Dog

I agree 100% with BNK. In most cases this is the most people friendly breed out there and makes an awesome best friend thats what makes them so dad-gum easy to steal. LOL Be careful with your new dog and please take the proper precautions when raising him or her.

P.S. A Doberman makes a great guard dog.

9. ASA

ASA Pup

man it sure sounds like ya got a good dog.thats what most people are lookin for,but it sounds like ya want a man eater sorry your gonna have to be very mean and crule to get that outta him.i don't think ya want to do that.

10. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

In my opinion making a bulldog into a man eater is akin to training a retriever to not have the retrieving impulse. It cloud the dogs natural impulse, which in our breed is to love and trust people. Like was said before its the result of centuries of selective breeding.

11. total768

total768 Pup

Man yall took it all wrong. All I said is she is to friendly, I didnt say I wanted a guard dog, or a man eater. I just dont want my dog jumping up and licking every body that walks in the damn yard. That is what I wanted help with. Is there a good way of training her not to do that.

12. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

That's accomplished the same as with any breed, through firm and patient instruction. When the dog does something undesirable intervene and say no. Further info. can be found by consulting a training manual or someone on this site.

13. True_Bulldog

True_Bulldog Big Dog

That can be accomplished with something called obedience training. I would have started younger than 8 months, but she is still young and you really can teach an old dog new tricks so an 8 month old should be no problem.

She sounds like a normal Pit Bull to me, if you wanted a dog that was aloof to strangers then I wouldn't have chosen an extremely people friendly breed. A Fila, Cane Corso or Akita may have been a better choice. If the post has been taken the wrong way, then sorry for that. But go back and see how you worded it. Its the net, its a written message you have to really clearify sometimes. Should have address the issues of jumping/poor manners rather then friendlines.

Most Pit Bulls will go up to anybody and like people, strangers or not.

I wouldn't do that. Train her not to jump on people, expose her to a lot of things, let her m...eet people on and off the yard. Use a firm NO or STOP command and praise the dog when she is patient and doesn't get overly hyper. Use positive reinforcement, when she doesn't jump and listens then she gets pets and to lick. If she does start to get too excited say no and take a couple steps back, have visitors do this. She will learn good behavior equals attention bad behavior gets you ignored.

Pups can be more hyper or excitable, but APBTs will be friendly their whole lives (usually)
    and if you don't get her under control now or start some training she will continue on, even in adulthood, problems don't disappear with age.
    The last part??? She goes crazy when she sees a dog, so you know there is fight in her. That implies she has "fight" and goes after dogs so should do the same to people? I think that really threw people off. APBTs can be dog aggressive, some never are some or very dog aggressive. Dog aggression and human aggression have no correlation. She'll continue to be dog aggressive, you can somewhat modify and control this behavior if you wish.

Hope that has helped.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2004