1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Please helllppppp

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

My house dog rufus is gun shy... Is there any thing that I could do about it When it thunder's he go's to shakeing & tremble all over like crazy. [​IMG]

2. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Theres no help for Jeep dogs lol

BB

3. Marty

Marty Guest

Damn man I thougt I was going to loose him from a heart attack. naw man this aint my jeep dog's I dont have papers on rufus he's my inside/outside dog. He looked like he needed a xanax LOL

4. gator

gator Big Dog

I have had a few like that Marty and I just ignored them.

5. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Buy one of them “thunderstorm” type of tapes at the store. Start playing it softly, slowly the dog will become accustom to the sound and will start feeling secure and ignoring it. Then praise and turn it up some. Don’t “baby” the dog during these training sessions (since there is nothing to be afraid of). Slowly but surely he will become used to the sound and not be bothered by it. Good luck

6. Marty

Marty Guest

Thats a good idea, I was looking at another site on fire works this guy had to give his tranquilizers. Hope it dont come to that!

7. Marty

Marty Guest

Man I tryed ever thing I held him, I tryed to play with him took him for a ride nothin helped I realy dont like for him to go through that. we have fire work's so close to here it shake's the house last yr we lefted him inside I know! he was terrorized I just dont know what to do.

8. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Earplugs??
    LOL

9. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

When you start babying him you are just confirming (to him) that there is something to be afraid of. Just act normal start out slow as stated in the post above and he should show some improvements. When he starts to ignore the sound (tape) give him a treat or pat on the head and go about your business as normal.

10. Marty

Marty Guest

I'll try the tape [​IMG]

11. Marty

Marty Guest

nah! I dont think he would leave them in. [​IMG]

12. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Marty this is an old bird dog trick for gun shy dogs. When getting ready to feed him use a metal pan or dish and make a big loud production; ie banging the dish with another or a big metal spoon, he will eventually come to equate the loud banging with a pleasant experience...food. After you have got him past that point then take him out to the field and when he's far enough away from you pop off a few .22 rounds or smaller fireworks then go over and make over him and praise him lavishly, then slowly progress to louder and louder noises doing the praise etc. until you end up with a dog that will not only tolerate but quite possibly enjoy loud noises. This works for gun shy bird dogs, it should work for our breed also.

13. Cindy

Cindy Pup

I have a 13 yo Am Staff/Staff bull mix (all my dogs are rescued), he has had this same condition since a pup and anything I've tried doesn't work. If he hears a bang or banging before I feed him, forget it, he's not eating. He was on Ace for 12 years until just this November 2003 I had to put him on Rimadyl for arthritis, then on New Years I had to give him an Ace pill cause they were lighting off fireworks in the distance, the next morning, I got him off the couch to bring outside and he collapsed and went into a seizure, pissing all over the place and writhing in agony crying (VERY SCARY!!). I thought it was the misture of Rimadyl & Ace, but the vet said that Ace is prone to cause seizures... (after 12 years?).. anyway, He's on Clomicalm now and he seems to be handling fireworks/thunderstorms much better if we're home... if not, he tends to seek shelter in our kitchen lately which he abosultely destroys (only lately)... bent all the cabinet drawer tracks down ward, imbedded claw marks in our dishwasher (at a very weird angle too..?), chewed and crushed our ironing board legs (aluminum), smashed a crystal punch bowl and cups, cut himself pretty good and trampled blood everywhere which looked like a massacre occurred (he's OK from that), and oh yeah, eats my furniture when highly stressed. So now, we 'Weiser proof' the house before we leave and leave all the radios, A/C's and TV on for him. My 3 other dogs don't seem to be bothered with it, just Cowgirl gets a little nervous when Weiser freaks out. More & More in his old age.

P.S. - I'm new here and wanted to share my Buddy Weiser's experience w/ noises. Sorry for ramblin.

14. idgie

idgie Big Dog

i have a dog just like that. someone swore to me that Bach's Rescue Remedy would work. i didn't really believe it, but i bought some and tried it anyway, and it does seem to help. it's an herbal supplement that they have at health food stores.