1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

PitBull New Mother (Only a week)

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NY RaRa PitLover, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Good day to all who read this, I can see that this forum is populated with experienced Pitbull owners and I appreciate all info I gather from any message left. I'm a new owner, for about 6 months I have been reading up on Bully's and their characteristics; eating, training, exercise requirements, etc but I have a puppy I will adopt as soon as it reaches 9 to 10 months.... I do have a question, where can I find information on a female Pitbull whom just had her babies (like Do's & Don'ts, habits one should avoid when dealing with the mother, feeding patterns, etc) All information presented on available on websites were only about the puppies but they neglected to mention the mother. I noticed that the mother was very edgy when ppl come in contact with her or her babies.

Thanks for reading even if that's all you did with this post.

2. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

A few things that i do: People who my bitch doesnt know are not allowed to touch the pups at all. They can look but no touch.
    Deworm mom and pup regularly, clean pup and mother's area as much as possible. You can wash the mother, but use very little shampoo, i use a wash clothe with very little soap to wipe her down so her smell doesnt change to much.
    A gould amount of exercise is good to build the mother back up, gets here blod pumping and muscles stronger.
    And feed the mother the best feed you can possibly afford, and keep really close attention to her boobs, make sure there are no lumps or cancerous tumors growing. Thats about it from the top of my head.:)

3. I appreciate the info. I'll definitely keep that in mind. By the way...what kind of dog do u have?

4. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Most moms are good natured about letting you around the pups, but I have seen some that are normally friendly to everyone that won't let anyone they don't know near them (so, PurePits advice is probably pretty good). Then, once the pups are weaned and off, they are back to their usual selves. I don't think it necessarily reflects poorly on the mother's temperament if she is edgy during that time.

5. :mad::mad: More like very edgy, she almost bit my fathers tie off and he reach wide and slapped her. Damn... she has been infront of his door crying for like 4 hours. I guess the hormonally unbalance in her has her acting weird.

6. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Well, in the first place he had no business in her whelping box like that anyway. Secondly, he shouldnt have slapped her like that. ( I am sure that is debatable.) A new mother is not necessarily themselves sometimes. Sometimes they are calm and very routine, sometimes not.

7. Well you are correct, he takes her jogging on a weekly basis. I guess he got upset b/c he was bringing her a bag of food. Maybe she realized what the bag contained after, explaining the non stop crying infront of his door.