1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pitbull characteristics needed for service dogs

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by pitbull-kid, Apr 17, 2010.

1. pitbull-kid

pitbull-kid Big Dog

what characteristics should I look for in a pitbull that will be suitable for service dogs training? ie therapy dog, SAR etc

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

good temperment,smarts,may want one thats not amped up all the time.

3. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

Low prey drive, low aggression, good off switch (can handle a lot of down time), very trainable (I think most APBT's are).
    Therapy dogs are dogs that belong to a person, and do therapeutic visits to someplace such as a hospital, prison, or school. My female does therapy visits at the school where I teach, for kids w/behavior problems.
    A service dog is trained to perform a task, or a variety of tasks, that help it's owner, such as a seizure alert dog, a mobility assistance dog, or a guide dog.
    SAR dogs need some serious drive and focus, in order to persevere in the face of great difficulty.
    All 3 need a considerable amount of training as well as good temperament.
    http://www.puppyprodigies.org/
    If you check out what they do w/puppies on this site, you'll see what early service dog training looks like.