1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Pit" friendly...

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Suki, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

2. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

Re: "Pit" friendly...

FYI -- Travelers turned us down because of the 15 year old shepherd/husky mix we owned, not because of the pitbulls. It was the "husky" part they were worried about.....:confused:

We're with State Farm and they are GREAT!

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Actually you can take Farmer's & Liberty Mutual off that list. Farmer's just won't insure you, & Liberty Mutual (aka Prudential) actually makes people w/mutts have a vet "verify" that there is NO "pit bull" in the dog before they will write a policy. They're big no-no's.

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I have farm bureau Insurance. The only question they asked me was if I had any vicious animals.. I could find nothing in my policy that said they would not insure me because of pit bulls (actually, michigan courts ruled that inurance companies cannot drop you based on a breed of dog.. but they can drop you if your dog did something)

http://www.farmbureauinsurance-mi.com/pages/links/otherstates.htm

5. Suki

Suki Guest

in that case, sorry if the list is out of date....
    I wonder then if it varies from state to state...:confused:

6. RiotDog

RiotDog Pup

Either way, thanks for the info.

7. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

I have Allstate, I asked them about pit bulls and if they would cancel my polace if i got one. they told me that if the dog was on a chain or in a fenced yeard with beware of dog sines in veiw that i was legal.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Actually, w/the exception of Liberty Mutual (which outright "bans" them), I think it's really up to each individual agent regardless of state. However, some states have laws that prohibit any insurance company from "banning" certain breeds.

We were dropped by Famer's & Farm Bureau when they found out about the dogs. We are now w/State Farm & love them (our agent has a pit bull ;) ).

9. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

I passed the list on ( minus the no- no's)

10. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Hillbilly take down those "Beware of Dog" signs. That is basically admitting that you have a dangerous dog.

11. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Fireman's Fund will not insure a pit bulls as well as a HUGE list of other breeds.

12. ladybanker462

ladybanker462 Big Dog

you might want to double check this about the beware of dog signs in louisiana where i live if yoiu have a beware of dog sign this means you are aware that the dog bites and this makes you liable for an accident involving your dog.they say the law has changed and the sign is admission of a vicious dog. maybe laws are different in your state.

13. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

Around here a "beware of dogs" sign protects you as opposed to condemns you. If you have that sign and someone comes onto your property and is bit, then they were warned. Their fault. Period.

14. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Yes, I agree with LadyBanker. It is not written down in most states, but having a "Beware of Dog" sign means you are admitting to having a dangerous dog. But, if someone comes into your house or walks on your property, they can and will use that sign against you. Yes, it is a warning, but if you had a "Trespassers Will Be Shot" sign up and you shot someone and killed them you'd still be charged for it. Look what happend to Tant.

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Take down the "Beware of Dog" signs. As some have already mentioned, this is viewed as a statement of guilt in the eyes of the law. If you want protection, put up a "No Trespassing" sign. This sign will do you the most good & cannot be misconstrued.

16. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

I haven't look into the law i was takeing the laidy's word. I have the same feelings as SisMorphine, that you have been for warned that ther is a dog a the premasis. but i will look into it with the law so more and let yall know what i find out.

17. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

It is usually not a stated law, more of a "Common Law". Yes, you are warning someone that you have a dog, but you are also stating that you are knowingly keeping a Vicious Dog that can and will bite someone.

18. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Unfortunately, the law views "Beware of Dog" signs as admission that you knowingly have a viscious dog or a dog that will bite on your property. I've talked to several lawyers on this issue & they have all told me the same thing--that it is an "admission" of guilt, inadvertent or not, in the event that your dog bites someone. It is NOT viewed as a "do not come onto my property" kind of thing therefore it will not protect you in the same way that a "No Trespassing" sign will.

19. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

I have signs that say "Dog in Yard", is that just as bad as a Beware of Dog sign?

20. SisMorphine

SisMorphine Big Dog

I live with an Animal Law and Ethics instructor. I'll have to check with her when she gets back, tomorrow. I have always been under the impression that it was a CYA kind of sign.