1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit bulls as one person dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by zombie106, Dec 29, 2004.

1. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

For those of you that have heard of Australian Cattle dogs, it is a fact of the breed that they are oner person dogs. Meaning they form a lifelong bond with a primary owner. My girlfriend has two of them and it is clear to see this when they are with me. They love me, but they couldn't live without her. Now according to her, Pit Bulls are the same way. I didn't notice it about my dog until she mentioned this interesting fact to me. Has or does anyone else notice this?

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I beleive that my dogs are bonded to me the most, however, if you show up with pizza & try to get them to go home with you, they WOULD!! All but Miakoda that is, but I handraised her from day 1 so she really thinks I'm her momma.

3. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

I agree with Miakoda...my aunt's pit bull Boba is her daddy's (my aunt's long term boyfriend) baby, but she LOVES me too (as well as anyone else willing to share their food with her). She does the usual bully wiggle and jump/hug to anyone who comes over, but when I come over she goes nuts (doing zoomies, wiggling so hard she can't walk straight, etc.). So I don't think they are one person dogs, but I think they are very good at knowing who loves them, and they'll particularly attach themselves to those people, but still love anyone else too.

4. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I have to agree with JCleve on this one. The APBT is a FAMILY animal.

Hey J, I live in Washington myself. Are you west of the Cascades?

5. I don't believe they're one person dogs. They're more of a people dog craving attention. Dogs used to change hands ages ago so the dogs were able to adjust to their new owners without much problems.

6. Tom-R

Tom-R Pup

I would think that they would rather be 1 on 1. Shure they are familiar with other people but to the dog they have that one special person that they favor. My dogs spend 75% of the week with my mom while i'm at work, she feeds them, walks them, but with the bond I have they will drop whetever they are doing to come & just lay with me even if the others are eating or waving food at them. Table food is outlawed in my house, strictly Nutro-max.

7. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Some of the dogs are like that for sure, but definitely not all of them...

8. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

I've always thought that smaller dogs (weenie dogs, poodles, cocker spaniels) are one person dogs for sure. I've never had a PB that I would have considered a "one person" dog - mostly lovers of everybody. However, Maddie is VERY MUCH glued to my ass every chance she gets even though they are good with everyone that has came in contact with them.

9. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I have to say that some APBT's are one person dogs.I have had a few.I had a male that came down off of Yellow John /Zebo/ Geronimo and Geronimo II ,that was an absolute awesome dog at hog hunting.I was always the one to handle him.He would hit the hog like a freight train.If my husband tried to hunt him,he'd catch ok but he didn't work it like he would for me.I tried to sell him a while back and the guy ended up bringing him back.Oh sure he hunted good for him.Hell he loved him.But the dog wasn't himself .He quit eating ,quit socializing. My Blue male is almost the same.I have him working in obedience and starting protection and he works good.Does he work for my husband?ha.he does everything EXCEPT what he 's supposed to.He has such serious head up azz syndrome that he has a fit I am out of his site.

10. xolotlknl

xolotlknl Pup

this one man dogs is only true when the person has raise the dog from when it's born. no matter what breed you are talking about.

xolotlknl' dave

11. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

I don't know about being a one person's dog but I know I've seen certain dogs that tend to take up with a woman or a man better... Some dogs just like woman better and some like men better, is an easier way to put it.

Of all the dogs on the yard we have a few that PREFER my husband but still do whatever I ask of them.. For the most part APBTs just like PEOPLE in general.

12. Vador

Vador Big Dog

I agree lady rampage pit s LOVE people in general. My pit will prefer me, but loves everyone.