1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit Bull Ban Bill Sparks Outrage by Dog Owners

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Marty, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Columbus, GA -- Some Georgia lawmakers believe pit bulls are just too dangerous. A pit bill attacked and killed a Lanett, Alabama woman two weeks ago. The owner of the animal is now facing manslaughter charges.

It's incidents like this, which brought about House Bill # 78. If passed, it would ban pit bulls and any pit bull mix in Georgia.

Some dog owners say they are outraged by this proposal.

It is not right to ban a breed, said Susan Horton, owner of three pit bulls. I think it is right to enforce the current laws.

If passed, current owners would be able to keep their dogs, but they would also have to follow some new rules.

Dogs would have to wear muzzles when taken out and get neutered.

"It is wrong. How can politicians ban a breed, said Gail Turner, owner of three pit bulls. I am against it because I think pit bulls are wonderful pets. It should be the owners that should be held accountable for any violent behavior.

Lawmakers will be holding public hearings in the state capitol before any decisions are made.

City officials in Lannett, where the fatal dog attack happened, said they are not looking to ban certain breeds but hope to make owners more responsible for their pets.

Kristi Angevine, WTVM, Newsleader Nine, kangevine@wtvm.com

2. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

Man thats all we need in Ga. is a ban of the pitbulls luckly my dogs papers have SC. address but what happens in Ga. wiil someday happen in SC.

3. APBT

APBT Big Dog

This sucks man... I live in the city right next to Columbus Ga

4. waters

waters Big Dog

sucks that we all have to pay for a handful of ediots that do not care enough about there dogs to keep them out of trouble.

5. Mr. Williams, the host of this law, has scheduled two meetings about this and cancelled them both. Here is some useful info for a reporter from the Atlanta Journal & Constitution (please e-mail this woman). Feel free to contact Mr. WIlliams, as well.

I obtained this info from a friend-she is supposed to be
    following this really close but there is a cancellation - she sent
    this to me just yesterday:

I received word from Coach Williams' office that Thursday's meeting
    is cancelled. This is some serious bullcrap and I'm very upset. This
    is the second time they have done this to the public. Please call
    his office to voice your concerns over this: 404-656-0206. Please
    crosspost this message. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else.

Also, I saw this today in the paper:

We want to hear from you
    Do you support the legislation that would ban pit bulls in the state
    and require existing ones to be neutered and muzzled? If so,
    reporter Nancy Badertscher would like to hear from you. Please
    contact her at nbadertscher@ajc.com. She may use your comments in a
    future story, so please include a phone number where you can be
    reached, the city in which you live, your age and occupation.
    Thanks.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/legis05/0205/hearfromyou.html

I know she wants to hear from someone for the ban, but she's gonna
    hear from me anyway. Please speak up for our dogs, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  6. I contacted the kennel belonging to Outkast- they are working with us on this. Not me, personally, so I can't get any autographs. LOL.

7. I have just spoke with Rep. Williams office, and they don't seem to know anything. The lady I spoke with just stated that he came in and told them to cancel it, but did not say why (I have a good idea). I was told to call back next week, and them maybe able to tell me something, but they would be out Monday and Tuesday, so to call after that. Rep Williams just doesn't want to face the music. I doubt he will even hold a meeting. But I am going to keep calling. I posed this question to her "So, no one there knows anything?" I got back the answer of "No, no one knows anything except for Rep Williams." YEAH RIGHT... what a load of dog doo (polite).

8. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog,"

9. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Hmmm... I'm wondering why only half my post showed up...?

10. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

...anyway, I call for a ban on pomeranians!

11. badnews_VA

badnews_VA Big Dog

lol i second that

12. That is what I had in the other thread in this yesterday. I even sent that, along with the Find the Pit Bull page to them. Many people yell Pit when it isn't one, this page just shows them how easily it is for a dog to be misidentified.
    If you want to see it:
    http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4261

I listed it in my post there.

13. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

... and labs!

In a tongue-in-cheek article, Daily Camera reporter, Clay Evans, asks the rhetorical question: "Should Labradors be banned?"

Boulder, CO, proposed a ban on 'pit bulls', despite evidence this 'breed' isn't the biggest problem. As proof, Evans writes:

"According to statistics kept by city of Boulder Animal Care and Control, "labs" — as they are so innocently called — were responsible for an astonishing 18.9 percent of the 748 dog bites in the city from 1997 to 2003, more than twice as many as the next highest breed (German shepherds, at 8.5 percent)."

14. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

You know what they say... Great minds think alike! :D

15. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

Props to you, Monica. I'm glad you're on our side.

16. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

Lol I Have 3 Chi Wa Was That Will Bite You B4 You Can Move,anyone,............i Own 30+bulldogs Not 1 Will Even Bark At A Person....so I Guess We Gotta Ban Them To....my Neighbors Have A Dalmation,that 1 Day Chased My And The Neighborhood Kids Up In My Yard So My Oldest Son Knowing How To Escape Being Bit He Ran All The Kids In The Chain Link Of 1 Of My Ol Butcherboy Dogs,well Needless To Say No Kids Got Bit.but That Dog Did ,although Youll Never See This In The Local News Papaer Lol,dalmations Gotta Go To.

17. To read the ban bill itself:
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/sum/hb78.htm

Here is the actual Title, and Chapter that it will going into if voted in:
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=4-8-1

It will 4-8-1 through 4-8-30. That is the total law right now.

Also, here are the names of the peoel representing this bill, along with their e-mail addresses. Please let them know when you stand!

Williams,Earnest 89th
    ewilliam@legis.state.ga.us

Brooks,Tyrone 63rd
    tbrooks@legis.state.ga.us

Watson,Stan 91st
    staxx@bellsouth.net

Mosby,Howard 90th
    mosb7101@hotmail.com

Stephenson,Pam 92nd
    pstephen@legis.state.ga.us

Jordan,Darryl 77th
    djordan@legis.state.ga.us

Billy Mitchell
    mitchell@legis.state.ga.us

I have also sent them this, people need education about all dogs. But be CAUTIONED! THERE IS SOME GRAPHIC PHOTOS HERE!

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716

The girl who made this is really into Pits, and loves them dearly!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005