1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit bull ban bashed

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Columbus, GA -- Today we have e-mails about Georgia's proposed pit bull ban. Here's one:

Tim,

My Dad cut your article out of the Feb. 11 paper and saved it for me. I wanted to tell you that I thought it was an excellent article. I have a pit bull and I love him more than most people love their children. He is 2 years old now, and I've had him since he was just eight weeks. He came from a good family over in Covington who only breed show dogs, and I consider him top of the line! Never have I shared such a great relationship with a dog. He's been in dog school every Wednesday since he was about 3 months old. He's earned his CGC title, and even won over the hearts of my very skeptical Father, landlord, and many friends. His heart is huge, and his love is unconditional. To try and ban this breed would devastate me, as I didn't set out to get this breed, but he's mine now and I couldn't imagine life without him. We've had to overcome a lot of criticism and judgmental opinions, but my boy has really gotten to them all. It's all in how you raise them and what you make them into. Socialization at a very early age, and continued socialization is so important. I spend as much time with this dog as anyone does with their kids, if not more. He is a constant goal for me to make better and to impress all the wicked, scared people out there. I love to make them see how sweet and wonderful he is. Just for all the people who give them a bad name, I want to say that I wouldn't trade MY pit bull for any other dog. Thank you for not going along with the negative crowd who don't even try to get to know the good ones out there! You couldn't have said it any better: Dogs aren't born mean; people make them that way!

Thanks again,

Mary.

Dear Mary:

Thanks for being a responsible pet owner.

Here's another:

Dear Tim,

I have owned an American Staffordshire Terrier for 2 1/2 years. I got her from a shelter at 7 weeks old. She has always been "part of the family" and is the sweetest, smartest and most tolerant dog I have owned. I've also had a Rottweiler and an Akita. My Amstaff, Mocha, is by far the best among them and Amstaffs are the only dog I'll ever own.

I've never heard her growl or get angry. I can reach into her mouth and take a bone away. Her only desire is to be near myself or my son. She can catch a soccer ball with her front paws and open door knobs (the round ones).

I fully support legislation making owners responsible for the dog's actions. But these dogs are not the same as pit bulls and should not be banned for the actions or negligence of a few sick individuals.

Thanks,

Richard.

Dear Richard:

I try to keep my dogs from learning how to open doors. You never get any privacy once they figure that out, you know.

Contact Tim Chitwood at (706) 571-8508 or tchitwood@ledger-enquirer.com