1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pimples On Dogs?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by newbie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. newbie

newbie Pup

I am currently working a dog for a show and half way thru the keep when these pimple like spots appear on the the dogs back, sides, hips and almost all over. i tried to use antibiotics and cleared it up after 3 weeks dosage of cephalexin. now after a weeek it starts to come back again. I am wondering on where does he get this pimples/acne like spots from? is it too much protein? I use 1 1/2 scoops of whey protein GNC(20 grams/serving) after his workout he is 35 lbs. I use skin supplements like lipiderm and EFA's. I used the best dogfood canidae because it is human grade. and I give 2-3 eggs everyday in feed with all the supplements. I talked to one of my gym mates and he told me that amino acid might cause that reaction? I also have used creatine with him and already stopped it because I tought it triggerred the outbreak of the pimples. it is very nasty and a pain in the ass. PLease help does anybody have experience on this situation? thanks in advance!

2. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

Look at your dog food and see if it has alot of wheat in it. Alot of dogs have a reaction that looks sort of like puss filled bumps due to food alergies. I personally don't believe in all of the things you are pushing threw him, Not saying what you are doing is wrong in any way, but that is alot of stuff for his stomach if he is not used to that diet. Have you tried just the dog food and maybe a vitamin suplement and plenty of exercise? Sometimes that is all these dogs need to look like champs.

3. Chyna

Chyna Pup

How old is the dog? It could be alergies. My dog use to get that way in the spring time, pollen season. I think she lived on cephalexin her first 2 years. Have a vet check for Demodectic Mange. Symptoms sound like that also. Don't worry it's not contagious like Sarcoptic Mange. Vet can get rid of it with the right medication. Good Luck

4. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

There is a good possibility that your dog could have an allergy since the pimples came back after a treatment of Cephalexin.

Here is a threat that we recently discussed it in. http://www.game-dog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7803

BTW - My girl has really sensitive skin so I opted to feed her Timberwolf Lamb, Barley & apples formula. http://www.timberwolforganics.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F7678677&rnd=2132580&rrc=N&affl=&cip=24.52.174.106&act=&aff=&pg=ste_nolay_prod&ref=petfood_lamb_barley

Here is the breakdown from their site:

PROTEIN: 28%
    FAT: 18%
    FIBER: 3%
    MOISTURE: 9%
    ASH: 6.9%
    Kcal/kg: 3,920
    OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 3.8%
    OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.3%
    CALCIUM: 1.8%
    PHOSPHOROUS: 1.4
    VITAMIN A: 22,000 IU/KG
    VITAMIN D: 1,200 IU/KG
    VITAMIN E: 350 IU/KG
    COPPER: 16mg/KG

A lamb and barley based formula for use in nutritional management of adverse food reactions in canines. This formula is the only lamb based formula we know of that has such a high level of lamb based protein and contains no poultry, beef or by - product meals; nor soy, wheat or Corn. Designed to satisfy the urgent nutritional requirements of stressed, growing, convalescing or older canines where a concentrated source of nutrition is required. Nutrient Dense Lamb, Barley & Apples Formula is a meat based formula that has over 10 lbs of lamb and fish meal for every 20 lbs of dog food. The high levels of amino acids provide the building blocks necessary for a thick vibrant coat, healthy pink skin, a strong immune system and excellent muscle tone. Melanin, a protein that provides pigmentation, is built from amino acids consumed in the diet. Contains high levels of highly digestible ingredients and concentrated sources of nutrients. It contains gourmet fresh Walnut oil and herbs such as rosemary, anise seed and mint that are used to assist in digestion and for their anti - oxidant properties. Has a pleasant rosemary and roasted walnut aroma.

The Lamb, Barley and Apples formula makes a good mixer formula for meat as it has the highest levels of calcium, magnesium, manganese and zinc. This helps to balance the added phosphorous levels of the meat. We do not put vitamin K3 (menadione sodium bisulfate) in any of our formulas because of health risks to animals and rely instead on high levels of foods that are high in vitamin k1 such as alfalfa, kelp, oats, egg yolk, and liver. Recommendations: Growth or Puppy, Lactating, Working, Performance, Allergies - Allergic, Maintenance.

Hope this helps.

5. newbie

newbie Pup

Is it possible to just feed plain dogfood during a keep? I believe they need the correct amount of carbohydrates(wheat bread? maltodextrin/ rice? ) protein(whey protein and /or eggs?) and fats ( flax oils/ EFA) and all nutrtional supplements, can you guys share what you feed during a keep? TIA

6. Have a vet check for Demodectic Mange. Symptoms sound like that also.

That's exactly what my Rat Terrier had. It looked like pimples everywhere (or rather like ant bites). I brought him to the vet, after trying some home remedies (that didn't work). They did a skin scraping and it was Demodectic Mange. They gave me Mitaban dip and an antibiotic (Clavamox) for the skin infection surrounding the infected areas. After the first dip, he started clearing up. I dipped him twice (once a week), and he's totally cleared up. That was about 8 months ago, and he hasn't broke out again yet....((knocking on wood)).

7. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Mine has pimples and it's mange. I have to give him Ivermectin (I think that's it) for the next 6 weeks. The "pimples" are more predominant on the sensitive parts of the skin, ie his inner thighs and chest. I'd get your dog in for a skin scrape to make sure.

8. robert

robert Big Dog

Yea take it to the vet and stop giving him too much protein. the dog food has to be adapted to his life .