1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pieds and summer months ?

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by coop-dog, Jul 5, 2010.

1. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

Ok so I would love to have a white and red pied,but I have been told that I will have problems come the summer months.Due to sun burns .Any truth to this ,and I know quality of the dog comes first.I like the look of pieds though.

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

not sure, never had any problems with mine. actually she loves the warm weather;)

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

as a keeper of "cow patch" ;) dogs for almost 20 years i have yet to have any signifigant problems w/ sun. used to live oceanfront and the dogs spent plenty of time on the beach and in the surf,later on in life on trail and in streams/rivers, just gotta be smart about it ( i.e. dont leave them in direct blazing sunlight for hours w/ no shadebreak) you have a good head on your shoulders, use your best judgement.
    for what its worth- i have erred on the side of caution moreso w/ my black coated dogsin the sun, for obvious reasons

4. coop-dog

coop-dog Big Dog

Lol love them cow patch dogs especialy yours Rally.Thanks for the input,and yeah I have a dark brindle dog and he does get hot pretty quick.I kind of figured it wouldnt be to much of a problem,I dont plan on leaven any of my dogs chained out in the direct sun for hours,more like you said hanging out at the beach and rivers.

5. peppapig

peppapig Banned

RR is right on both accounts of colour.....the dogs that are majority white can have skin problems if in the sun too long.just the same as albino people.(for want of a better example lol).....and obviously the colour black attracts it all.....no racism meant.

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

7. Blanco

Blanco Big Dog

I don't have a pied but an all white one and I have not discovered any problems due to the sun

8. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

Coop never had problems with my pied dog. when its extremely hot i usually soak their coats with plenty water. I've noticed my black bitch getting hotter easier than my dog. up north where you're at dont think you have nothing to worry about

9. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

My mates dog gets sun burned nuts, he has to sunscreen them :o

10. Wally

Wally Pup

[​IMG]
    Never had any problems with the white or pied dogs concerning the sun. I agree they can be stunning to look at but as you said quality always comes first. If you were concerned about their skin though I would make sure that I looked for one with good pigment. Even though, I still haven't heard many problems concerning dilutions. You know what they say no good dog is a bad colour.

11. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

i have no problem whit my boy, he never sick, never strange things whit skin, he verry healty boy!!, and allso 8 years now, and no problems at all...

good luck whit your dog in future :):)

12. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

they are norm ok but just keep a eye on their ears they do get burnt.

13. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

I find it depends where the white is -- unpigmented eye rims seem to get pretty pinkish if in the sun as do unpigmented noses...

I've also seen the pinkish testicles on some dogs get burned on those dogs that like to lay out in the sun.

I prefer dogs that have pigment -- it IS protective.

Dreamer

14. BGD

BGD Pup

Keep an eye on the ears and the head where the fur is thinner, you shouldn't have any problems though I've had white dogs out on chainspots all through summer (If you can call what we get summer lol) with no problems.

15. beanieman

beanieman Banned

Never had problems with any of my dogs, Coop.