1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pick of the litter

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by xBullSonx, Jul 18, 2016.

?

How will I know which dog os the beat pick out the litter

1. .

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xBullSonx

xBullSonx Pup

Best puppy to pick

2. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Pick of the litter is the one the breeder likes best for whatever reason. It's all a gamble, never know as pups who's best. Keep the one you think about givin away

3. Kostas81

Kostas81 Big Dog

Usually, the pick of the litter is considered the most dominant one. The one that likes to bully the others. I disagree though that the pick of the litter will end up being more of a bulldog from the others. Many times happened the other way around...

4. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Best is the opinion of the person picking and what they are looking for. My pick of a litter may be one another would pass on. It's merely the person pickings opinion. I choose mine by which pup or pups most closely in phenotype resemble the dog I'm focusing the breeding around. The one that most closely resembles said dog is about 99% of the time the one I will pick. Others have their own methods. Just comes down to what it is your particularly looking for when choosing a pup from a litter.

I also like the more laid back ones, the loners. The ones that don't typically start no shit but when one of the other ones trys to start something, they'll finish it. Those are my favs.

5. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

Just a question agk.. Just curious about your phenotype method? How often do you get the results your looking for with that particular individual?
    Also do you use this method if or when you outcross?

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Just keep them all.

ohav4 and Stratman like this.
  7. AGK

Pretty regularly depending on what breeding were talking about. I bred my yellowman dog Charlie to a RBJxeli bitch that was red/rednose and he dominated the gene poole. All 6 pups came out looking just like him, that blondish brindle. Some took the bitch's structure and some have his but all in all its him you see in those pups. My sparky bitch Mia, rip, almost always thru herself, color, structure and mindset, especially in the females she produced. She always dominated a gene poole in pretty much any breeding we did with her. Her daughters more often then not, also throw their phenotype pretty dominatly in any breedings we've done with them. I pretty much mostly line breed, inbreed to my particular family but even when we breed them to a whole different lines of dogs they usually have more that come out like mine. I've had dogs in the past that thru litters where they were all a little different but that was with a totally different line of dogs not my current. The family I been breeding for the last 10 years though, much more times than not, throw themselves no matter what they are bred too. Geachison, he throws predominantly red dogs with black masks or black dogs which the majority of the dogs in the line I have are black dogs. Hence why when me and wardog did the Geachison x Bella breeding I took the only black male. The rest were all red with black masks. But Geachiman is the dog I'm breeding around and Chino is a damn spitting image of Geachiman, build and all where as geachison is built more like the Eli dogs in his bottom.. Chino is not built like geachison he looks just like Geachiman, racey. I like breeding to solid oil checked dogs but if I get the chance, I breed to their sires instead since they are the producing dog. I do other breedings with others but it's really them doing a breeding with me. It's rare I keep anything from other people's blood. I know mine and seen them personally.
    Others tell you want you want to hear but it has little substance to me since other than a good story. I didn't see anything from their dog. Sort of like, I only believe what I see with my own 2 eyes not what others tell me. Lol you can have 12 people at a show and you'll get 12 different story's as to what went on, even down to the refs point of view. I just prefer to do it this way. I keep going with it because I like what I get. Middle of the road vise, tons of athleticism and wind, some come all day others have not, roll of the dice like with any line. But the ones that turn out right, are some rough S.O.B's and their smart. I really like an intelligent dog, always have. One thats been caught slipping before but learns from it and won't offer it again. Jm2c sorry for the rant. Lol

8. AGK

If I had your kind of spot, nothing would ever leave here. However, my situation is a little different. I keep my picks and the rest usually get placed with people I know and trust and will do the right thing, and be honest about it. I've sold some here and there but I always keep in constant contact with them as the dog grows and what not. I got a few more years before I can have a area like you got but when I do, lol ain't shit ever leaving except to my people's I run with. You are right and that is the best way to do it but it's not possible in certian situations. I keep mine going and keep some with others and it usually works well for all of us involved. I don't like the partnership aspect or the combine approach but it's a necessity for me currently. Plus, it's another pair of eyes looking at them, away from my area so it helps guage breedings a little better for me.

reddirt redneck and treezpitz like this.
  9. AGK

It's not necessarily a necessity but it helps alot.

treezpitz likes this.
  10. xBullSonx

xBullSonx Pup

My pitbull family always throw of more females than males, about 6females and 2males a litter? Does that mean something?

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

nice posts...
    choosing by phenotype or looks is good when you are looking to isolate those genes...

I often have wondered if selecting two phenotypes from the same family and isolating the seperate types,,,
    if it would also separate the genes to the point hey werent so tight???
    and if so would the two or three types feathered together make for longevity or a looser gene pool...

for example I have noticed three phenotypes from the boyles dogs,,,
    bolio,,, hank and eli from looks to ability...

If the three were seperated by phenotype and isolated in genotype,,,
    bred amongst it self for it bit and than folded back to the other two,,,
    would this make for longevity in a family breeding program...

I am not a fan of total isolation like Mayfields beliefs and prefer looser gene pools...

As far as which pup is the pick of the litter,,,
    sometimes thats peddlers lingo for the sale,,,
    sometimes it what attracts you,,,
    but never does the term equal results and keeping the whole litter would be the best pick...

12. AGK

Doesn't really mean anything IMO. Mine does the same. I usually get one, maybe 2 males. The rest are always females. I actually focus alot on the bitch's I breed or keep almost more so than I do males although I do put a lot of thought into them as well, like a motherline type thing. Mostly because they tend to be much more laid back, smarter, just as rough without being all hyped up all the time. They attach to me in a much different way then my boys do. The males usually will imprint on my daughter. They won't listen to me for shit but her they will. Ive only ever had one male dog as a house dog, my whole life. Always preferred the girls. They almost always are smarter and just as, if not more, violent when they get pissed off. . Lol. They also, in my own anyway, seem to have the better vise too.

Allah Born likes this.
  13. AGK

I have really nothing else to go by for a pup since your top picks of the litter can often totally change in many ways from pup to adult. This is a good topic. Great thread idea bullyson. Need to get this board back to less bickering and more knowledge for all. Boards function much better with less drama. There will always be the spats here and there but real men can get over shit and move on for the common goal. Being these dogs, here anyway. ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  14. AGK

I've actually been trying to out, or well, down the % of hank blood in mine, just to get closer to more of an Eli Bolio type dog. I love the boyles dogs dont get me wrong but I just like to keep the hank blood at a lower %. I Can always breed back closer to it at any time to freshen things up later down the road if need be. I figure anyway. It's all just theory, trial and error to make what one has better and everyone has their own methodology in how to do that. None are wrong just personal preference in what one seeks. I'm in to have the total package. Heart, ability, a fantastic conformation, or my own idea of one I should say. I know it sounds like I breed for.looks but I dont, they just produce really decent looking dogs so when I breed 2 together, they tend to always come out almost always, fantastic looking dogs with a build or structure for working. The heart is like anyone else doing it. Some got Toms if it others not so much. I never focus on the lower quality function wise dogs when I produce them. Never.

Allah Born and ELIAS'PISTOLA like this.
  15. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I'm sure you know I wasn't speaking to you, amigo. It was just a general statement. When I was a city dweller and had more dogs than my yard could accommodate I was renting friend's back yards and was keeping dogs there. It was very expensive and there's no way I'd be able to do that these days with the money I make today compared to those days that I was running the streets. I would have no choice but to place any dogs that I couldn't keep. So, I completely understand, my friend.

BOTP Kennels likes this.
  16. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

I like the wander the yard type of passive aggressive HANK phenotype the most as it fits the reason I sought out these bulldogs,,,
    I like the type that has all the confidence in the world with the smarts and durability to persevere,,,TRUE THINK TANKS...
    plus the kids can walk them(or they walk the kids) with no problem and grandpa is fine out front weeding with his companion,,,lol...

The Eli types are often wreck looses and have to be watched very close or they might close the show,,,
    The Bolio types are fast,,,smart and hard to keep up with as they are very cunning and even if they are behind you they are one step ahead...

All have value and some look a certain phenotype but might pull from a different style or genotype...

as far as the boyles,,,bullyson,,, bolio dogs I am familiar with,,,
    for a companion,,, therapy dog or house dog,,, the tri color thicker HANK phenotype pup would be my first pick....
    for greenhorns,,,newbies,,,kids,,,elderly,,, and pet owners alike,,,lol... I would choose the HANK phenotype...

I am blessed to have found what I was looking for with these dogs,,,
    but I also understand that choosing on this phenotype alone and isolating the genotype
    that I am only cornering myself in a limited pool that needs the right catalyst to get me out of the corner...
    no pun intended,,,,lol...

Victor gray likes this.
  17. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

as far as the HANK phenotype for battle I dont know,,,
    but in recent times they were noted for being gambling dogs that were not for the faint of heart,,,
    if you are the slight bit cur inside and your dog picks up on it it will make for a short night...
    Ideally not the type of dog most would like to take to battle or loose to for that matter...

I am sure more of these HANK phenotypes have been culled by those who want no part,,,
    I am blessed that the men before me valued such a dog...

HANK was the type of dog that made a young dogman that stood behind him into a seasoned vet...
    Mr.Burton,,, Pat Pat tricks,,, Mr.Giroux,,, and Captian America were all on board the HANK express...
    Good enough for me...

Victor gray likes this.
  18. xBullSonx

xBullSonx Pup

How can I start my pups early in the game? Do i train them with small varmints?

19. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

Put it on A chain spot feed it and water it like a plant..Don't DO Anything Else

20. realistic

realistic Pup

Family breeding is what don talked about you can breed a looser genepool and still be in a family .Family breeding is inbreeding linebreeding and outcrossing within the same family so if you separate 2 different types within the same line and breed them on their own and then a few generations down the line cross them back together that is a cross within the same family this will get you better results than straight outcrossing.
    Even if they have been kept apart for a few generations it's still the same family of dogs but it's different enough to your original stock that it can mix very well.
    Many uneducated people believe you need to outcross your dogs to improve performance this is a myth populated by peddlers who sell crossed up dogs.

A lot of people also take what don said wrong too they think he said just inbreed your dogs like crazy this is NOT true at all. Don himself said many times if you only breed one way you will end up with freaks this is again proven true. Hence the whole family breeding thing you don't just do one thing but you stay within that family of dogs.
    Breeding is a very deep subject which very few actually understand.They spend their time breeding dogs together like guess work pretty much.
    That is not the way to breed dogs at all.