1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pick of the litter

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by hellrell, Jul 2, 2011.

1. hellrell

hellrell Pup

Many folks advertise some pups as pick of the litter but actually we all have our own opinions on which pup is pick of the litter. What makes a pup pick of the litter for you?

2. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

I like an active pusher with good bone. Not to say the runt isnt good but i like watching the pup with the most brain and bullyness. But im sure you know that you can allways be surprised with which one ends up the best.

3. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Well seeing as how you can never how the dogs are going to turn out anyway i seriously always pick the ugliest dog of the litter LOL if there isn't an ugly pup in the litter then i pick the one with the best looks

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i've never understood "pick of the litter". you can't tell which one is the actual POL until they're adults.

5. Redboy09

Redboy09 Pup

I always took pick of the litter as the pup who looks the healthiest, which means it may sometimes be just a little bigger than the others, physically looks like past ancestors of the mother or fathers bloodline, and looks most like the person picking the pup's idea of the perfect apbt/other type of breed. @ElJayBee, you're right. Even if you took everything I just listed, you really cant tell who's the pick of the litter until they turn on/come of age.

6. AGame

AGame CH Dog

so what everyone is trying to say the pick of the litter is the dog you pick from the litter lol

7. Lets hear from all those that got stuck with the runts of the litter that turned out to be 10 times the better dog then the pick.

8. NGK

NGK Top Dog

I have always kept the full litters when I have bred and I have found that more times than not the runt turns out to be the most vigorous adult of the bunch and in most cases the smartest. My advise has always been to pick your favorite pup blind folded as physical appearance can be misleading and the best one for you is the one that picks you!!

9. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

I've always gotten the pups 1 on 1 and checked them out.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i think there are a couple of ways of defining pick of litter eg if the breeder keeps the pol he or she will be looking for certain markings ,traits and characteristics , but when a buyer gets pol it means that they are the first to view the whole litter and make their choice as to which is best. either way there is a lot of variables and has as been said before unless you bring the whole litter together when they are adults there is no way of knowing who made the best choice .kinda makes it interesting though !

11. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

i just pick the one i like, it doesn't really matter what you pick as a puppy. i have seen "runts" end up being the largest dogs, and i personally own a pup who was the largest in the litter @ 6 weeks and she is full grown at 26lbs, and her littermates are huge

I just pick the color and personality i like, it's all a guess anyway.

12. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

its all a roll of the dice.... i usually look for outgoing pups.
    the best way to get what you are looking for is keep everything you breed!

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

jacko got it 100% correct .

14. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

LoL i choose the one that is the best looking if the markings are cool and the dog looks strong

15. Agree with jacko as well, he sumed it up.

16. Best looking, best boned, nicest color, most outgoing, lol. Look at the life and times in the wild. The strong survive.

Taking into consideration that all are healthy and come from proven producers that put game one's on the ground. I want the won that is constantly struggling to survive. I don't want the big boned candy ass. I sure as shit don't want the one that has nice markings, I don't want the one that acts like he cannot wait to stand the line. I want the one that is always last for the milk. I want the one that is always pushed around. I want the one that has always been pushed around and always comes back for more. Anyone agree?

17. mdp1985

mdp1985 Big Dog

The first one I picked the best looking one the second i picked the most outgoing one, hell he picked me, but you never know how they gonna turn out

18. I guess we are on 2 different pages. There is nothing wrong with that. If you want one that will lick your face when your sick in bed then I guess you know what you like. I would never want the best looking. Why would you want to attract more attention to the demon dogs the pit bull terrier? I guess that you want a bunch of kids jumping all over him so he can nip one and then you get your first write up. In my area, when there is paperwork concerning your dog, most times animal control wants him.

19. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

I hope there's a few more posts in here, even though I know it's a guess anyway but any advice helps out, I'm picking out my pup around the end of August (they're not born yet) it's my first APBT (or even bull breed) so I'm nervous enough lol.

One question I do have, if you're looking for a certain gender, but there was only 1 out of like 8 was the one you were looking for, and it didn't stand out as a good dog, would you get that 1 or would you pick a male or maybe leave the litter altogether?

20. AGame

AGame CH Dog

doesn't matter which dog i pick there shouldn't be any kids in my yard around my dogs that are either secure on a chainspot inside my fenced in yard with no tresspassing signs all the way around and within the fenced in area are pens for the others so no one should be near my hounds to get bitten anyway and it does not matter if they get pushed around a lil when they are 6-8 weeks old that pup isn't going to remember that shit do you remember when you were on the tit? well unless you stayed on the tit until your mind was mature which is pretty gross IMO pick whichever dog you like doesn't matter its a dice shoot either way you just might crap out