1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

permethrin

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by hnelson, May 2, 2013.

1. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

Hey quick question i have had great success with 4oz of permethrin to 20oz of mineral oil for my hounds. But was wondering what the mix would be for the yard around them? Or should i just go buy a bug killer for the lawn? Thanks

2. I recently quite using it on my dogs because my younger male had a bad reaction to it. He was passing out! Vet said he must have developed a sensitivity to it and all is well now. I do still use it on the yard, where the dogs can't touch. 20oz in my pump sprayer, think its 2 1/2 gallons. Also if you are really having a problem there is this stuff I found, must order online, called Precor. You can mix w your permethrin and it prevents the flea from growing into an adult so no more eggs. It works for up to 7mths. Great stuff but a little pricey. 1oz of precor to 1 gallon of water, plus can be added in w your other product.

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I use home defense insectiside around the yard and bronco spray (permethrin) directly on the dogs. Sleven dust in the bedding of the houses. Dip once a month. No bugs.

I also have citronella torches cut down and placed in each fence post of my divider fence to the chain spots. A little over board maybe but it sure looks perdy all light up at night. Like your about to enter the gates of hell lmao...

4. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Yessir that is what a majority of pest control companies use as their on contact kill spray. 16 oz permethrin to 12.5 gallons water the higher pressure the better.

5. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

Sleven dust? Do u mean Seven Dust? The stuff that now has carbaryl in it and is now known to cause cancer in animals with prolonged exposure? Check out Viper Dust, nothing but permethrin.

6. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

*Sevin... now im spelling wrong lol

7. AGK

Thats the stuff, it's a pesticide for gardens. I have never had or heard of people having, any issues using it for decades. There is 2 different strenghts you can buy. 5% & 10%. The 5% has been used for many years on many yards. I'm not arguing the research as i have never seen it. I do know, I never have had a cancerous dog and have used the stuff for about a decade. The 10% is too strong to use. I get it in a bottle sort of like a carpet fresh bottle and mix it into a wheelbarrow with a bag of cedar or straw depending on what time of the year it is around here.
    SteelyDan, do you have a link to some research thats been done?

8. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Is this all better than using advantage or other spot-type medication?

9. AGK

Price wise, if you have multiple dogs there is no comparison. If you only have one dog id just use revolution (SP) but the price to do that with more than a few is extremly expensive. I use what works for me and is also cost effective. I'll spend the money if I have to but I will almost always find a cheaper alternative to RX drugs for any problems that arrise with owning dogs. I make money to keep it not to give it away... ;)

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ermidor on the dogs, permethrin on the yard

11. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

Plenty of research if you google for it and there should even be a warning label on your bottle stating its known to cause cancer in lab animals....

12. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Yea, I agree in general, but was just wondering about the specifics here. Once you reach a certain number of dogs, you definitely need to stay cost-effective.

13. AGK

I dont use frontline or advantage so i cant really tell you. I can just tell you what ive done for years and has worked for me. I live in an area that has tons of pests type bugs and i never have a problem with any bugs except common spiders that arent poisionous.

14. speedboat

speedboat Big Dog

Any of you guys use D.E. Also known as fossil flour shell

15. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

Fipronil and permethrin. works fine if your yard is kept up.

16. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Hey girl you're repeating what Laced said. lol

17. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

Well at least he's doing SOMETHING right... :P

18. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Damn Laced I think she's got your number. lol

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Who brindle? Lol who u think taught her that? Lol