1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

people biting pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 7mmrowland, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

To everyone: It is like this, with BSL and everything else now why would you let your small child or anyone's small child around your dog, or any dog regardless of breed for that matter. It is a working dog, and in our case You Risk: possible injury to the child, having to put down a dog that may or may not be bad, you have to hear the "I told you so's", you Add Fuel to the Fire on BSL, you have to live with it being your fault, and a possible lawsuit. Just wait till your kids are older and wiser, bigger and more mature.

2. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

ATEXAN couldnt agree with you more, were living in a time of unprecedented media coverage to do with these dogs , and for some of us, depending on location, theirs more to lose than others. every time the media presents a new story involving a dog and a child , i half expect it to be some type of bull terrier involved, and unfortunatly it often is.

3. well if I couldnt trust the dog, the dog wouldnt reside here.. I dont know about everyone else but my dogs go through early obedience they are socialized during puppy hood, theyve been around people and more people because I simply wont have a HA dog in this breed. If your pit was a TRUE apbt you wouldnt have to worry about them biting your child. I live on 23 acres so nobody can bother mine, im home 90% of the time and they are never bothered or harrassed. There are pens in front of there chain spots (with a few yards to ensure they cant find a way to climb over or something unpredictable such as that) so nothing can go in and they cant go out, my 7 yr old helps me feed, he brings them toys, so when he goes out there its not nothing "new" they are accustomed to him bringing things (bones and whatnot) Diamond and Meeko he has to be wary of but only because they jump and when the jump its past his head but one yell they usually bend down or stick there butts in the air and wait for him to drop whatever he has.. They all get turns inside, just because I have multiple dogs doesnt mean that any are forgotten. If you walk on eggshells because of kids then it just makes the BSL stories true about them being "vicious" or unable to interact with kids. I take diamond to the park with me and my 7 yr old and (with a prong collar) around her neck she sits and licks every outstretched hand and welcomes the attention.. I suppose if I forgot them on chains and there interaction was me feeding them or changing there water bowl then yea I can understand the caution with kids but those that go the extra mile can you really catagorize us with being irrisponsible because we accept our dogs as family members and not a lawn ornament that does what you want it to do when called on?

4. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

WORKINGAPBTS you make some valid points, and by your account seem responsible, however i think we can both agree your scenario is not the average, or even typical with these dogs. i dont claim to know whats better for others, or their dogs, and how anyone raises their kids or their dogs is their business. but high strung animals, and curious kids isnt a cocktail i personally want to mix. remember this breed attracts more screw balls than any other, so we are dealing with the lowest common denominator , and if they took anything from the game dog community , it should be do not mix game dogs and kids. like all things their are exceptions ,and you as well as others may be that , but then none of the posters in here who raise their kids an dogs together seem like the type of individuals who create bad media for the rest of us ! good luck with both your kids an your dogs.

5. Pit bulls arnt the only breed high strung. And for an example my friend has a JRT and that thing can climb walls, its a freak of nature and hes just one big duracell battery lol, but he interacts with her 3 yr old fine and occasionally put his front feet on her but with persistent training they can know the difference between gentle and not. After all, they are known for being nanny dogs.

But im not really understanding.. Are people saying they will get to hyper and flip the on switch? If so then that goes back to the apbt not being true to breed, these dogs arnt HA and shouldnt allow to coexist with anything if they display that unwanted behavior.

My son rough houses with all these dogs of mine and always do they display affection and knows when to much is to much, Diamond can get hyper, scrap can get hyper but one firm NO from him and they stop in there tracks. Do I expect Diamond to turn around and come to me if she sees a cat or goes running after a rabbit no, but I expect that, but that still doesnt pertain to kids.

If your dog isnt raised with kids then I dont suggest throwing them together in the living room to play without supervision but these dogs have been rescued from horrific conditions and abuse and the ones that make it out can be therapy dogs, or housepets they defeat the odds, its all with training and persistence.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  6. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

That is a ridiculous statement.

Absolutely not, it make you responsible and a good example for others to follow.

No, but IF something ever goes wrong you will be irresponsible regardless of how you try to justify what you did, or say it was a accident.
    I understand you might be the exception to the rule. Did you even read my post that you quoted, or did you just hop on here to defend your own actions? Its always better to be safe than sorry you risk it all so your kids can look cute together, take pictures, or brag to your friends. We should set a good example to those who are new and even those that arent so that we dont give them fuel to feed the fire to try to destroy our breed!

7. my actions? Why do I have to defend my actions to you, your nobody special, I have nothing to "defend" This is a public forum so im doing what all the other 3,000 + members are doing.. responding to a thread..

My kids being with my dogs are for being family, it has nothing to do with being in the spotlight.. you think thats what people do when they include there pets as family? We do it for spotlight? LOL How have I not set a good example..

Lets recap shall we...

I believe I mentioned..

Early socialization
    Obedience training
    pens in front of there chain space to prevent coming and going by anything other then me and my family
    Allowing my dog to goto the park to show a "GOOD" pit bull and there not all child eaters and "vicious"
    I dont take my dogs to dog parks
    I dont condone any illegal actions with this breed
    I encourage families to include there animals instead of leaving them forgotten on a chain.

So if I missed something please feel free to correct me.

So your telling me a human aggressive apbt is okay? because im confused.. I said if you have a TRUE apbt you shouldnt have to worry about biting a person how is that "ridiculous" you may want man biters but they go in a hole over here.

Im not saying hey neighborhood kids come and walk in my backyard while im gone and pet my dog, im pretty sure nothing would happen but there animals and animals are territorial. But when I train meek and scrap to weightpull the neighborhood kids jump on the cart for needed weight and when hes done pulling that block he gets petted.. so maybe your not doing something right..?!

And btw theres no need to be rude I did read your posts and your post doesnt pertain to me.. I DO have an older child and idk what you think I do with my 10mth old I certainly dont put her in the doghouse and let one of the dogs babysit lol

8. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

I don't have any kids or anything, but if I did I would be very comfortable having my dog around them.

I don't let other people's kids near my dog - that's for sure. Not because I think he will bite them, but I'd much rather not be responsible for someone's little kid getting the wind knocked out of him because my dog got rowdy or something (which he does of course).

There's always potential for children to be hurt by big dogs. I was hurt by our big dogs growing up many times - but we didn't have any of this BSL B.S. back then and a dog playing rough with me as a kid was never a big deal. I am glad we had big rowdy dogs growing up. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

To each their own. But I don't think, with the correct training and socialization, an APBT or any breed for that matter, needs to be kept away from your children. They aren't a threat unless the adult (leader) is doing something wrong.

9. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Sigh, yes you are. I have constantly and consistently spoke about Small Children since the original poster had his 3 year old bit. Tigerlines said it best to you earlier...

10. Ya know.. dont pretend to "be" in my situation or paint all situations the same okay because in reality you dont know shit about it.. If you would rather keep your dog hidden from the world thats your choice. Ive been around these dogs for 9yrs 7 of them included my son and hes still alive and kicking *gasp* even the neighbors are still alive so I guess will have to agree to disagree cuz im not going to go tit for tat with you because in the end Im run shit here not my dogs and thats how it is and through those nine years nobodies been hurt or "killed" so I guess im doing something right..dontcha think!

11. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Look I dont know why you chose to take things so personal. I never said You were doing anything wrong. I actually said "No" you were not irresponsilble and that You were the exception...

Im going to stand by my post:

Just tell me one reason why a child 5 and under should logically be around a game dog and what that child could gain from the experience that would benefit him/her vs. what could possibly go wrong even in a freak 1 in 1 million accident?

Just doesn't make sense.

12. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

IMO I think there is a HUGE difference between a dog that is raised as a sporting dog, with zero socialization with kids and one that is raised as a family dog by someone who is adept at the process, especially with an owner that is smart enough to KNOW when a dog doesn't have the proper temperment to make it as a family dog and knows when it's time to cull. But I DO understand what you are saying. People see pictures of ''kids and pits'' and just ASSUME that it's a ''pit bull' that it is good with kids from what they have read and seen, and don't bother to monitor, orhestrate and assess and reassess on a CONSTANT basis. Your point does not elude me ATEXAN as I've seen exactly what you are talking about first hand.

13. My apologies.

I dont put them together so they can play, I include them.. theres a difference.. for an example when christmas rolls around the dogs that do get along are beside the christmas tree along with my kids.. I hold them dear and they are more then just chain spots and hog hunters to me :) But thats just me.. :)

14. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

No worries my friend!

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

You know.. it's always such a fine line with this breed, it's hard not to cut off your nose to spite your face. It can be really frustrating. If only common sense was a trait selectively bred into humans.

16. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Dislike me if you wish, but I am starting to belive there is people with pits on this forum that have dogs that are HA and know it deep down but dont care becouse hell he or she is a one dam fine hog dog though. The dog I got from this breeder that bit my kid, I believe knew what he was sellin me and just wanted the money. Temperment of this breed is getting to be farther down the priority list in reasons to cull unfortantly. Seems alot of talk on DRIVE, GAME and WIND. Knowbody's braggin on the temperment.

17. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

anydog can bite anyone, i dont care how its bred or who bred it, my advice quit while youre ahead, youll get one from someone who will tell you what you want to hear, all the while you will just be making a bad decision, youre kid was bit in the face... even manbiters can be contained, only by the right people in the right environment, these dogs are bred for combat, enjoy your family, fuk the risks, if it happens again you may face charges, and it would be easy to outline reckless endangerment.

18. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

It has disappointed me over the years to see this very thing because of the fact that many breeders ARE selling dogs to ''pet'' homes without a second thought. If someone is keeping working/sporting dogs and they are keeping them within their own circle, as working/sporting dogs it doesn't bother me but when they are selling them to the first person with money without regard to whether the dogs they are breeding and selling are actually what this person is looking for... not responsible in my book and it is adding to the downslide of the breed no differently than the Am Bully people mixing them with guardian breeds and pushing the ''protective'' side of them, or Am Staff folks looking past temperment because their dog is winning in the show ring or the pet people taking them to dog parks or rescues with the ''save them all mentality". I actually got the boot off of a forum for saying this years ago but I was very happy to see that there WAS a few people that fully agreed with me and did say that they thought the quality of game bred dogs HAS gone down hill in more recent years in that regard. I recall a quote on a staffy bull site in reference to years ago before there were the ''breeds'' and just the ''bull and terrier'' type dogs and it said something to the extent that it wasn't an uncommon thing for a bull and terrier, after a fight, to be pushed home in the pram with the baby. To ME, THAT is what this breed should be but people have their own agendas. We are ALL responsible for the future of these dogs but everyone wants to point fingers instead of taking a good hard look at what THEY are contributing to the breed for good or bad. In so many cases the dogs have taken a back seat to EGO. IMO anyway.

19. OutInCA

OutInCA Pup

3 Examples of why a game bred dog makes a good house dog with children.

1)Don't growl at my baby.
    Here is a little example about how Carver loves his family. One day the owner of Caver, Denis, had a small get together at the house with a few friends. A friend of a friend thought it would funny if he growled at their 2 year old baby girl. Mistake! The APBT is a working breed and protecting your family is part of the job. Carver jumped, in one leap, clear over the sofa and landed right in front of the baby. Carver was face to face with the guy who growled at the baby basically saying "if you want to growl
    at somebody, growl at me!", or "You are going to have to
    go through me if you want to get to my baby!". The
    guy, realizing his mistake, gently backed away from
    the baby girl. California APBT Red Nose Dog Breeder Woods Snooty Pedigree

2)Where is my boy!
    Every night Carver goes from room to room checking on the children and making sure that the house is safe. The APBT picks up if something out of the ordinary is going on. One night his 6 year old boy , Bubba, was not in bed
    sleeping when he should have been. Carver thought "Something is wrong". He checked the baby's room, he checked the living room, still no boy. Carver went into Denis and Alisha's room bursting the cracked door open. He found Bubba sleeping with his parents. Bubba had not felt well that night and wanted to be with his mom and dad. Alisha and Denis saw the panicked stricken Caver go over to their son, kiss him, and began to calm down. They knew their dog was waking them up to make sure Bubba was safe.

3)Family Dog Takes Bullet to Save Family - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

:confused:Pandora would nurse kids if she could.

:pCypress has watched over my friends 4 daughters while we went for firewood.

The Little Rascals? :dogtongue:

20. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I find it odd that people think they don't make good family dogs when you look at all the historical photos of bull and terriers with families, kids, babies, etc... They were as much a part of family life as they were match dogs in the early years of their arrival on this continent. I've got a folder FULL of them. JUST as many of them as pictures of box dogs. Times are a changin' and sadly not for the better. I always thought the goal of breeding was to maintain and better the breed, not drag them into the dirt.