1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

people biting pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 7mmrowland, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

okay 7mmrowland you're right and we are wrong. now that being the case why do you think someone is going to point you in any kind of direction for you to get another one?

2. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Re: people bitting pitbulls

Wow you are obviously green when it comes to these dogs, and add to that you don't listen. I am not even going to bother trying to reason with you anymore. I sincerely hope no one on this board provides you with another dog.

Let me ask you this though, I notice a rifle in your avatar. Let's hypothetically say you own a assault rifle and your 3 year old gets into it and kills the neighbor kid. Are you going to blame the gun? And say see its the assault rifle they have no business being around people they are dangerous.

Good luck!

3. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

I agree with you, but forget the HSUS its about being responsible. Who says small children and dogs have to be around one another, like if they can't co-exist then its sad or its "just not right." I for one wouldnt let any dog much less a working dog around a small child. I dont care if it is Lassie. Its a dog, it's a small child the consequences that could arise if the situtation went bad far out ways them looking cute together. So dont feel bad about teliing like it is, maybe other new people will read this and learn with out learning the hard way!

4. popper

popper CH Dog

Zoe thats good stuff.... whenever i have little ones , i hope to do the same

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I hate to break it to you, but folks keep saying it's a owner's fault b/c 99.9% of the time, it IS the owner's fault! There are almost always signs leading up to a bite. Rarely does a dog bite "out of no where." There are almost always signs that precede a bite, but most parents either aren't there or are too distracted to notice them.

A lot of people down here were amazed I was not afraid of handling Chows. But I had owned three Chows & one Chow mix & noticed that Chows do not "snap." They give a warning like all other dogs, however in the case of a Chow, the signs are usually more subtle & thus can be overlooked, making it *APPEAR* the dog bit "out of nowhere."

The same goes with all breeds of dogs, to include the pit bull. For example, Old Mountain Man said you could tell when Zebo was getting ready to bite b/c "his eyes would get all big & round." He said the terrible man-biter he used to own named Ranger was the same way. When Ranger was getting ready to bite him, the dog would look at him like "who the he.. are you?"

In my personal experience, I knew when my Chows were thinking about biting b/c they would either retreat from the person (avoidance) & bite only when trapped or if they held their ground they would get very still & give the person a very hard eyed warning look. I have seen this in APBTs as well before a scuffle broke out. They might be playing amiably in the living room & all of a sudden one dog goes stiff & give the other dog an icy look & seconds later, you have WWIII on your hands.

Bottom line? It's all a simple a game of observation. The problem is we humans often aren't as observant as we should be & the person bitten & the dog suffers for it in the end. :(

And as a side note, putting a three year old around a dog was just asking for trouble. Sure, plenty dog dogs are great around kids but regardless of breed all it takes is one mis-step & you can have a bitten child & dead dog on your hands. Toddlers pull ears & tails, poke eyes, etc. Small kids & dogs are just not a good combination regardless of breed! Heck, my husband & I have already decided if we have a child, we will not have any dogs in the house until the child is older & thus more responsible, more caring & knows how to handle themselves around a dog.

That being said, I would refrain from getting a dog of any kind until the child is older, I hope the child has a speedy & pain free recovery & RIP poor dog. :(

Blessings ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  6. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Putting feeling and thoughts on a computer screen can sometime come off not entirely correct. My dog was alway monitered around my youngest doughter and when it happened I seen like it was in slow mation as she walked by the dog coming to me my dog reach up and put a tooth hole just under her eye and ass it was happening i was dropping my toast and butternife to grabe the F&%^in dog. Im not saying everybody is wrong and im right im just questioning peoples awnsers in way to look for the truth. From what im getting these dogs should be on a chain away from human entervention and a sign hung that says stay away from this dog. I just dont believe thats life for a dog of anysort. My uncle owns Plot bear hounds and all they do is set tide up out in the back yard and when he feeds them all the whant it to be given attention every once in awile one gets to come in the house boy you just about have to drag it to get back to chain. In nutshell Im just pissed about what happened had to come here vent and look for anwser i did and didnt whant to hear i guess.

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Number one, if we have company, my dogs aren't ''out on chain spots''. They are crated out of the reach of ANYONE, unless I am RIGHT there orchestrating. If I'm distracted and not 110% focused on my dog, NO ONE has access to them, not even MY OWN kids, let alone someone elses. Actually, I don't allow my dogs around my daughters friends as THEY don't know how to behave with dogs as their parents don't teach them proper dog behaviour. Every single incident you mentioned could have been EASILY avoided if the ADULT was supervising, which obviously, they weren't. The ONLY time my dogs are on their chain spots is when I'm HOME, no kids are outside, they are LOCKED inside a six foot privacy fence and I have the window open so I can hear them. If I hear ONE bark, wimper or whine from the dogs, I'm outside in a flash and if there is ANYTHING going on outside that is getting the dogs riled up, THEY COME INSIDE AND GO IN THEIR CRATES. THAT IMO is called RESPONSIBLE. What went on in your cases was the EPITOME of EXACTLY what I WOULDN'T do! I think it's the adults in YOUR situations that should take THEIR heads out of their asses. THEY are DIRECTLY responsible for the dogs and THEY failed not only the dogs, the breed, but the people involved that got injured as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  8. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

one never breed ha,two its not worth the chance.also if the dog gets jealous or feels its dominancy is in question then gets aggervated and then its eye to eye and feels the child is a threat bite bite,among many other reason a dog could feel it needs to bite. never forget it a dog witch is a animal.they might handle eye contact but i wont know cause i never took a chance and wont with any dog that can due severe damage with any small child.

9. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

This forum is fantasic in the way very wise, experianced, knowledeable people who have been around this breed of dog most to all there lives and I respect there replys and awnser, may not seem like but I do and sometime what comes off the end of my finger is differant that i mean. So bare with me if I come off as a ignorant asshole.

10. mw9661

mw9661 Pup

I allready went through this at the start of the thread,

"As for dominance, it can be shown in a lot of ways. It can start with someone holding eye contact too long and being nervous. The dog can then smell the change in hormones and see body language change, then someone says "oh he's allright he won't bite" the person then moves their hand too quick over the dogs head to pet it or towards it's face and the dog reacts to what it sees. I have seen this happen. When you see a dog licking a kid in the face and leaning into the kid as tho' the dog is trying to get affection, unless their tail is down and they are showing submissive body language this is dominance, so yes dominance issues DO occur with kids."

11. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

[
    EXACTLY. A HUGE part of the problem is not only the lack of 110% observation on the adults part, most adults wouldn't even know what the hell to look for in a dog to indicate there is an issue. Most people don't know diddley squat about dog body language, let alone proper handling around kids and dogs, hence the problems. In my almost two decades of handling these dogs, I have YET to have any dog I've handled bite anyone else. I also put ANY dog coming through my home through RIGOROUS temperment testing BEFORE they are even allowed access to my kids without a barrier between them. I push buttons, I test, I push again. ANY indication of a problem and the dog is euthed. I'm a hard ass. I have a ZERO tolerance policy and that dog better be able to handle STRESS with a high threshold, or I won't allow it the HONOR of being around my children. Every dog that has lived their life out in my house has EARNED their place in my fold.

12. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

some one pissed me off didnt mean to go over what you said.

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

A dog that can't handle eye contact, or won't look away when stared down by a family member, a dog that shows dominance, instead of submission to people, a dog whose drive over rides it's intelligence, etc... etc.. is the EXACT kind of dog that would get culled at my house. I NEVER take for granted, just because it's a ''pit bull'' it's automatically good with kids. Just like a game breeder that will cull a cur, a person looking for a dog suitable as a family dog has to be willing to cull dogs that don't excell as family dogs. MY dogs ''job'' is that of a family dog, and if they don't make the cut, and I have HIGH standards, they won't see the sun rise the next day. Just the way my household is run....

14. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Well from what ive learned is on some topics we agree to disagree in that there is two groups on one side we a group that the dogs have to live in harmany and respect the family members or out he goes and the other side feels that if the dog dont like or hasnt the temperment to live with a family it is tied up and the kids are told to stay away from the dog.

15. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

just cause a dog turns now dont mean it will always.sound like your doing right,but personally i dont chance it.i see as 10 and under dont need be around them even though mine are friend friendly not chancing it.not that a small one cant pet them but im not letting them play together.

16. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

my opinion = bulldog = performance animal. i wouldnt let a child ride a performance bred race horse , and i woulnt let a child play with a performance bulldog. while my view may upset some people , it guarantees no harm to a child .

17. hmm.. have 6.. my 2 kids are around all of them 3 of which they run, play, jump, pull, and prod at and they all show bellies and wagging tails, accompanied with licks,, HA pit or any dog for that matter = dead dog.. simple as that.

Diamond is watched more closely due to her fast reactions and could knock my 10mth old over all the others know "gentle" and tiptoe around baby.

18. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

How exactly am I full of shit? What? You think I'm making it up? lol I've actually got my chewed up kids hidden away in a closet so no one sees them. :rolleyes: Just because OTHER people are unsuccessful at rearing kids and dogs, doesn't mean everyone is. The difference is simple. Some people know what they are doing, and some people don't. Obviously you've had more exposure to the later. I personally don't care if people choose not to have their dogs around their kids. That is very much their perogative, and if they don't feel they are capable, I'm very glad they leave it up to those that are. I have two successful decades under my belt and I'll keep doing what I'm doing and I can guaratee you, my kids will grow up with better dog handling skills than most and many, many happy childhood memories of their beloved dogs to reflect upon. In fact, my first two girls grew up with a roomates kid before I had my own and she is now just graduating high school and STILL talks about her wonderful experiences with my dogs and how they were the high light of her childhood. I'm VERY happy with that so I'm not really concerned with your obvious obession with what is in my ass. :D

19. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Obviously someone else who knows what they are doing, has dogs with appropriate temperment to succeed as family dogs, and knows when to add some extra management for smaller children and higher energy dogs. :)

20. OutInCA

OutInCA Pup

Pure bred APBT are far from man biters.