1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

past against the present?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by powder925, Aug 16, 2004.

1. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

How many people out there think that the great dogs of the past like dibo could compete with the best now?I know dibo was great but after selective breeding you would think that the dogs would only get better like how the old time athletes in the human world,they could never compete at the top with the athetes of today.Just thought it would make a good discusion.

2. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

I think that some of these dogs of today would demolish some of the past... but some greats will never die...

3. Clearly this topic is all supposition.

Given what I have heard from folk who matched dogs from when it was legal up until 7-8 years ago, most agree that the dogs in 90s jumped a few notches in quality. Unfortunately due to the current laws, the quality of the dogs is degrading......

On the flip side, European, Asian, and Latin American regions seem to be enjoying the dogs as much as the dogmen of the past did.....:o

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

in the right hands a AVG dog can look like world beaters. you take the best ones from 40'/50 into the more recent ones. with the same technology we have today the ch/grch from yesteryear. would still be able to compete today. a game dog is a gamedog & will always have a chance to win.

5. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

selective breeding done right will produce better animals with each generation.
    There are LOTS of old cockers around and NONE of them would take the old single stroke deadgame hatch, over the dead game shuffling hatch fowl of today. Granted dogs and cocks are diffrent, but the game is the same.

6. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

Fuck a chance Ben B.

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"Fuck a chance Ben B." wow you must know alot of ( pre76) guys that won every match? they must have made a killing just off the forfeit alone. that or they went broke because they couldn't get there "unbearable your dog has no chance" hooked. LOL

8. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

having fought cocks legal in OK. i know that when its my money in the Derby i want machines & not 'a chance'.Cause when you say 'a chance' it sounds to me like you are gonna show something sub-par.jmo.

9. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i guess thats why a "gamblers delight" is a "gamblers delight". & sandbaggers made the most cash. there flesh & bone not machines. wanting something & reality are two different things. they all quit at some point.

10. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

Sure they quit, when theyre dead.

11. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

You know ben, your my dawg and all, and it's unfortunate we didn't get to hang when I was in the burgh but, do you really believe this? because I've seen you post this comment a couple times before but there are many dogs that have proved this wrong.....

12. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

AGK they all quit. some just have a deeper well then others. you can only give so much before your body gives up. look at all the dogs that go into shock for example "reno" or "stalone". & in the deepsouth the heat will make a dog quit just as fast. there has been lots of dogs that shown deepgame & quit in rolls but you don't hear about them. deadgame is just that dead. you can't get a stud fee from a corpse.

13. AGK

They don't all quit, (unless you count death as standing the line) if they did there wouldn't be such thing as dead game. The very phrase tells you they won't quit.

14. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

if they died they quit living ? what good will a corpse do you.

15. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

If they have ability and are deadgame it will tell you the line you are working with is where you wanna be,period.

16. AGK

Hypothetically speaking I suppose that phrase could make sence, under the right circumstance most will quit, but I couldn't bring myself to call a dog that never showed sign of quit in him a quitter....but in reality there are alot of dogs out there that never quit or ever even looked as if they were thinking about doing it. So by what your saying, every dog is a quitter? There would be no point in these dogs if that were true.

17. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

yes there are a lot of dogs that never shown a bad sign. but shock & heat exhaustion are not signs. if they didn't all quit there wouldn't be any point to matching (pre76) because every match would be a draw. there wouldn't be a need for cajan rules. just think about all the dogs that shown deepgame & down the road quit.

18. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i agree with ben to a point but if they will all quit then does that mean they are all curs. the thing is i think there are varying degrees of gameness you have rank curs and that will only go five min and aint even been touched then there are thosre that will go for an hour and stand the line then you got those rare one that will crawl on their stomach to scratch to me that is a sgame as it gets. i mean can you call a dog that did not scratch because he dide in ten min game i do not think so

19. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

i think the old time dogs were the ones to have the laws made it to where testing and culling could be done on a regular basis

which should help

but theres a big difference in the dogs of yesterday and today

and that is the practice of breeding for mouth

seeing as how i cant realy test my dogs against other dogs how would i know its game

but while hunting i can see that it has mouth and thats what i want a dog that can close its mouth with the best of them

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  20. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

no they ain't all cur but they all will quit at some point. they are just dogs flesh & bone. some just quit sooner then others. just because it quit don't make it a cur. now when it loose intrest thats when it became a cur. when you believe they all don't quit thats when you loose dogs( pre76).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009