1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Parvo

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by idgie, Nov 17, 2005.

1. and this product would be cause i am gonna be one rich Bi*ch :D

2. pitbulllvr25

pitbulllvr25 Big Dog

You and you pup are in my prayers.

3. Judy

Judy CH Dog

Mine too.....

4. sorry to here as long as ya catch it soon pup should make it i will be thinkin of yall keep us updated ...parvo is a bitch to cure but have seen the worst come thru kickin and screamin ;) i got a lil pup sick now but has tested negative for parvo 3 times... cant seem to get it better

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Ummmm, I don't know why you believe this to be the case, because if that were true, then our clinic would never see a parvo case. To be truthful, if treated at home, a pup/dog has less than a 10% chance of surviving. If treated at a veterinary clinic, the survival rate climbs to a whopping 70-75%. Easy huh?

6. papongski

papongski Pup

what are the effects of geting a parvo?

7. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Parvo is a highly contagious virus that, basically, causes your dog to shed its stomach lining, which, in turn, raises they're susceptability to secondary infections. The severe vomitting and diarhea causes dehydration which will kill your animal. You can't CURE Parvo, you can only keep the animal alive long enough for the virus to run its course. And it can kill quickly. From the time you notice symptoms, to the time of death, if there is no treatment, can be as short as 48/72 hours. We have lost 3 and saved 3 from this virus, but they were saved at the VET'S. I.V. fluids, antibiotics, anti diarheal and anti vomitting meds are required. If you own more than 1 dog, cross contamination is almost guarenteed.....and though having your dog up to date on its shots will help, it's no guarentee either as I have lost an adult dog to Parvo that was right up to date on all its vaccinations. I've also seen Parvo run through a shelter, a horrible thing as APBT's seem so much more susceptable than other breeds.

8. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

Sorry to hear that idg...hope she pulls through ok!!!!

9. idgie

idgie Big Dog

Yay!!! I was able to pick her up this evening and the vet said she should be fine. I didn't want to breath too easy until she was back home, but despite being very skinny and hungry, she has her spirit back. She's gonna get lots of TLC in the coming weeks :)

Thanks so much everybody for your posts and prayers. It is so great to have this network of information and support!! Southernlandknl, let us know how your pup is doing!

10. Judy

Judy CH Dog

Glad to hear that she will be ok, Idgie.

11. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Fantastic.....big hugs for her:)

12. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

So glad to hear, hope she continues to get better!

13. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

i got a lil pup sick now but has tested negative for parvo 3 times... cant seem to get it better
    Have the test came back showing a low positive? Have the pups been feed a BARF diet or been in contact with anybody that has recently had food poisoning?<O:p</O:p

Glad to hear your pup is better Idgie!

14. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I'm so glad you got your baby back. Enjoy her and spoil her rotten!!!:D

15. nope the test are all negative not even a faint positive.... no barf diet yet... and no contact with anybody with food poisoning... WHY ask that ??

i got her ( blossom ) thursday OCT 27 ...she was fine for a couple days then she started to go down hill... she stopped eating she stopped drinking and then the dierhea (sp? ) no vomiting... the following tuesday took her to the vet.. they put fluids under the skin and antibiotics and some other things..... done a parvo test and checked for coccidia,giardia and intestinal parisites... SHE HAD ALL but parvo...it came back NEG... soooooooo i thought well i have delt with all the above i can handle this i will isolate her etc etc..... well by that thursday she was bad off again so i took her back to the vet and they keep her to run IV .... they kept her till monday Nov 7 they called said she was eating drinkin she can go home at that time they gave her another parvo test...it was NEG...... went and got her ..... she has been home since then and WAS doin good givin her Iams puppy... water her meds etc etc...till 3 days ago she stopped eatin and drinkin again...took her BACK to the vet today NOV18 she was STILL eat up with Coccidia... she is isolated from the other dogs..she has one spot in the yard to potty and it is clean every time she potty's with bleach and water....her area is cleaned...i am on well water.... vet said her immune system is so low it cant help fight off the coccidia... she is now on pet-tinic and she is and has been on ALBON since NOV 1 ...i have never missed a dosed ... i can understand this happening to someone that was living in filthy condition but all my pups live like kids... they are clearer than me LMAO ... anybody ever seen this ??

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 90327" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>idgie</TD><TD class=alt2>Yay!!! I was able to pick her up this evening and the vet said she should be fine. I didn't want to breath too easy until she was back home, but despite being very skinny and hungry, she has her spirit back. She's gonna get lots of TLC in the coming weeks :)

Thanks so much everybody for your posts and prayers. It is so great to have this network of information and support!! Southernlandknl, let us know how your pup is doing!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

CONGRATS idg... !!!!!

16. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

i disagree a pup with an knowlegdable owner ahs a better chance at home,,because of being with the one that loves them, i gave my five pups 2 shots of Naxel and one shot of Metoclopramide a day and force feed them pedylyte all the tyme ,,,just alot of work and all your tyme is devoted to them while there sick,,, if you can,t devote your time then the vet is the only way to go ,,,, Now for it being easy to cure ,,you need a batch of it and see how easy it is and cheap it is..But for 7 days i did nothing but work on these dogs, but it makes you and them alot stronger(the bond) its almost like a marrage LMAO,,, my doggy's know who loves them,,

17. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

glad to here igde,, one more saved,,

18. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

the reason the stats are so low at home is because ppl don't care for they're dogs like they should or let it go to long