1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

parvo

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by CLKENNELS, Jun 21, 2009.

1. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Is there any diseases that mimicks parvo

2. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

There are many diseases that can mimick some or all of the symptoms of parvo in dogs.

Here are a few examples -

Campylobacteriosis, Corona, Coccidiosis, Giardia to name just a few.

The best thing to do is make sure that you vaccinations are current and if a problem arises take your dog to the vet. :)

3. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

coccidia has alot of the same symptoms as parvo. though parvo has a very distinct smell. also hookworms cause diarrhea and vomiting.

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Just what I was going to say.Coccidiosos has some of the same symptoms but isn't near as serious.I've only lost one puppy to coccidiosis(my screw up:mad:) Parvo is a very bad deal.Wouldn't wish it on anybody.

5. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

I asked because a few months back a puppy was given to me and died not long after... The pup was sick when it was given it to me and since I kno a vet tech I took her in to run just about every test possible and nothing showed up wrong... After she died I took her back and they ran some more tests for free on her and I got half off on the test on the dog I had staying at the same place as her.. Once again both dogs came back with nothing wrong.. The one that is still alive is well but I still don't know what was wrong with my dead pup.. It was said that it might of been parvo but the stools came back clean.. Just was wondering if anyone new if any diseases could mask parvo or hide from tests..

6. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

Some dogs with parvo have negative tests, either because it is very early in the course of the disease or late in the course (most puppies will test negative by the time they've had clinical signs for 2-3 days). Tests should be repeated on dogs that are strong suspects or used in conjunction with a CBC or blood smear.

Was the pup tested for coccidia? Coccidia is commanly missed in fecal samples however if most vets suspect it they either send out a sample to the blood lab or just start treatment on the dog.

7. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Let me find those records again... When the pup was alive they charged me a flat rate for all relevant tests.. And when I took one of my other dogs in, they charged me half of that rate.

8. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

i had one pup come down with parvo and trust me you will know it is parvo from the smell it's not a death smell but a sorta swett smell. and every dog that i have come across since mine that has had parvo you know without even testing just because of the smell

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

There are new strains of parvo that show up negative on a tests. But again the smell is the key.

10. crazycooter

crazycooter Top Dog

By the time you find out that your dog has one of the new strains it is normally way to late to do anything :(