1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ParaCord Leash?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by BBT, Feb 28, 2012.

1. BBT

BBT Big Dog

I want to start doing 1/2 marathons with my 10 year old male. What would be the best collar and leash combo?

He is dog aggressive but I control his energy and focus at all times in public. I was thinking a show choke lead type setup would be light and easy on the dog. I was thinking that I could take a 5ft piece of paracord and make a handle loop at one end and knot the other end to a bull snap, and just snap to a choke collar.
    I am looking for control but also something light and easy to stride with for both my hand and the dog.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks

2. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

a 1-1 1/2 inch collar, and an 8 foot leash should be fine, if I were you I would lose the choke chain thought. Nobody wants to see a dog foaming at the mouth and pulling at another dog, it adds truth to the myth so to speak. A normal collar/leash combo will do the trick.

3. BBT

BBT Big Dog

This dog will stride at heel so the choker just sits loose around his neck. If need be a quick lil tug and slight change in step angle is all I need to get his focus clear.

He gaits smoothly. I preferr the choke because it is lighter and will give me a faster response. I could run right by another dog on your leash and you wouldn't really notice the soft correction that I had to give my dog.

Am I wrong for thinking a traditional collar would be heavier and less functional in this case? I think a shoe string show lead would be light enough but not enough potential control

4. paracordpaul website carries dog gear that might interest you. i would rather buy on than go crazy doing them myself. but that's just because i don't have it down pat.

good luck with your running!