1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Panting and choking

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by karnage, Sep 4, 2005.

1. karnage

karnage Pup

Anyone ever known a dog to pant alot and pull hard in a harness and still manage to choke themselves. My boy is has always been very active and hyper so I was wondering if its because of this as he does pull into the harness very hard, he cannot be walked in a collar as he will choke himself to death (even on big padded ones). Panting is also an issue when ever he leaves the house to go on a walk he gets so worked up and will pant very hard for the whole of the walk. Is this normal as he has always done this?

2. B

B CH Dog

It is normal when you let your dog lead you. A properly trained dog shouldn't pull on his lead at all. I would begin training him properly on a lead by stopping if he's pulling. Only reward him with forward movement when he goes at your pace and keeps the leash slack. Proper leash training is important with this breed.

Regards,

B

3. Gamest

Gamest Pup

You can also use a choke chain or choke chain with spikes on them. They seem to do real good , even though some people say it is cruel ,but it gets the job done.

4. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Right, I had the same problem with MIKA and when I trained her to calm down on a leash the panting stopped. She still gets excited if a cat comes around, lol. Great Info on this site.

5. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

The musculature around the throat and neck is sufficient enough to keep a dog from actually "choking itself to death" while pulling :). Two-inch collars help some.
    I like a dog that will pull hard at the end of its lead, as it makes for a great workout, but like B said, proper leash training is essential with this breed. To discourage your dog from pulling, hold the leash across your body with one hand, and with your other hand give the dog just enough slack to walk beside you without being able to pull ahead or fall behind. You have complete control this way.

6. karnage

karnage Pup

Thanx for that guys, i did try him on a choker when he was younger, (10months maybe) but he was still persistant. I was wondering if the choker has damaged him in anyway as he did pull into it or is it just from him being over excitable and pulling constantly. I am yet to find a harness that stops him choking himself. He currently has an Amish built agitation one.