1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

PA show is a no go...

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by bullydogs, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

For those that do not already know...the PA. APBT club will not be hosting the ADBA show in Pottstown. The numbers of entries over the last few years have been dwindling. However, there will be a meeting in the next couple of weeks pertaining to: raising funds, and getting knew people out to the shows. If anyone in the area would like to atttend the metting...shoot me a pm.

The AADR show is also cancelled in Pottstown this year.:mad:

2. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

you mean the show on in april? where you sene this info>?

3. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

No, the show in April is in New Jersey. Talked to Jackie of the Pa Club.

4. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

damn that sucks!!:mad:

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Where will this meeting be held at and what time?

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

oh man i had a feeling that would happen, the turnouts were super low the last time around. I would like to get involved and help out anyway i can

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Entries are dwindling almost everywhere it seems as do the spectator numbers. It's the same down here as well.

8. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

We are still trying to figure location for meeting. This should be done within a week or so. As soon as i get word of exact location...i will let everyone know via a P.M. Topics discussed will be...fundraising, getting new people to the show, keeping the existing people, and pretty much anything that will revive the overall show. I hope we can put together a good turnout for this meeting.

9. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Make sure to PM me as well!

10. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Will do. Everyone on this thread will get the PM.

11. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

why do you think the turn outs are going down all around?

12. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Here are two reasons why:

Alot of people dont even realize that their are shows. Clubs need to find ways to get the word out.

Alot of the newer people attend their first show & look at the competition and never comeback. Some people dont really know what the standards are and what judges are looking for. Club workshops(open to the public) pertaining to the conditioning & showing aspects of dog showing would be beneficial IMO.

13. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

14. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Having to pay an arm and a leg for gas never helps entries either. We have been known to skip niceties, sleep in our car, etc., just to get to shows. But a lot of people wont be willing to do that. Spectators are even less willing to travel than exhibitors, so it can be hard to get people interested in the first place, especially considering the limited appeal of dog shows in general. I've brought people with me to events, and when the show/pull/trial/whatever starts 2-3 hours later than the published time, they get bored very quickly, and don't come back for the 2nd day. Why would they spend an entire day watching one event when there is so much more they could be packing into that time?

15. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

yeah but it was nice having the Pottstown show practically in our backyard. The West Springfield show is at least 6 hrs away for most of us.

16. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

good points..unless your bringing dogs to show or are a diehard fan of dog shows most people dont want to put up with the bare essentials.

17. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Here is the email i recieved today regarding the location of the meeting:

Yup. I'm fixing to send out a memo in the very near future, Looks like Feb 11th will be the day, 1:00 PM will be the time and Douglasville, PA will be the location. More details to follow. Get your ideas together!

Well as soon i get the memo. I will pm the people that were interested.
    If anyone else would like to attend, shoot me a pm.

For all the people that enjoy the shows, this is your chance to voice your opinions & ideas. It is important, shit we already lost the show for this year. It would suck to go another year without a show so close to many.

18. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I would like to attend but Feb 11 is a Mon. and I wont be able to take off work. Is there any way to have the meeting on a weekend?

19. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

Well I'm not a member and can't come to the meeting, but I am a member of three other clubs. Tell you the truth, I had no idea there was a show in Pottstown until last year. So you guys definately need to step up the advertising. Put the show flyer on as many message boards as you can.

Here's my $.02 and what our clubs have done or are considering:
    Write or call pet food and toy manufacturers for donations and goods for the raffle. Get good items for the raffle from your club members - we always try to donate 2 crates every year and our raffle does pretty good.
    Speaking of raffle, don't wait until after the show to hold it. People won't buy tickets because they may have dogs only in the younger classes and take off before the end of the show. Try a rolling raffle - put tickets on the items and draw numbers throughout the day and list them as they are drawn.

The Goldenhorseshoe Club has held on-line auctions of stuff donated by club members to raise money. I donated an extra copy of Colby's book and it went for $26 I believe.

Consider having a one day (2 shows on Saturday) show. That's what we do with the West Springfield show and it's so nice to have Sunday to travel home or recover from Saturday. You may be able to get the cost reduced on the grounds that way too.

Judges - try to get the big names, they draw the people.

Trophies - go big and advertise the fact!

Good luck with your meeting.

20. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and advice. It is much appreciated.

Note; anyone can attend this meeting. You do not have to be an existing member. I am not even a member as of yet.