1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Owner told to hand over pet tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Tiara, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

Owner told to hand over pet tomorrow
    If he doesn't comply, man faces $10,000 fine, jail time -- and dog still likely to be put down
    Andrew SeymourThe Ottawa Citizen

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

[​IMG]CREDIT: JANA CHYTILOVA, OTTAWA CITIZENThe City of Ottawa commenced legal proceedings under Ontario's Dog Owners' Liability Act to have Jeff Hickey's pit-bull type dog, Dozer, destroyed after it attacked a woman and her dog two weeks ago.Jeff Hickey has two days to decide whether Dozzer lives or dies.

Mr. Hickey, who yesterday became the first Ottawa resident targeted by the province's controversial new law banning pit bulls, has been given until tomorrow to decide whether to turn his six-year-old pet over to the city to be euthanized.

If he doesn't, he could face up to six months in jail and a $10,000 fine and still see Dozzer put down. Yesterday, city officials commenced legal proceedings under the Dog Owners' Liability Act, seeking to have the pit bull-type dog destroyed after it attacked a woman and her dog two weeks ago.

"I'm pretty down," said Mr. Hickey after picking up his dog from the Ottawa Humane Society yesterday, where it had been quarantined for the past 11 days.

"I really don't know what to do. No matter what I do, I don't see any way of winning," he said, admitting he is still contemplating fighting the new legislation.

"If I go to fight it, they are going to go all out," said Mr. Hickey, who acknowledged it could be a costly and lengthy legal battle, but one he isn't afraid to fight.

"I'd go to jail, no problem. Dozzer's worth it to me," he said, adding he'd be willing to leave the province if that meant saving Dozzer's life. "The more time I have with Dozzer the better."

Mr. Hickey's commitment to Dozzer is so strong, he even had the dog's name tattooed on his stomach three years ago.

Although Mr. Hickey isn't supposed to appear in provincial court until Dec. 15, he said the city imposed a strict two-day deadline to decide whether he would co-operate.

Ottawa's director of bylaw services, Susan Jones, admitted Mr. Hickey could avoid prosecution on the Dog Owners' Liability Act charge if he turned the dog over to the city to be put down prior to the court proceedings.

"He still has the opportunity to take matters into his own hands and have the animal put to sleep. The city would be in a position to have more leniency if he did that," she said. "It wouldn't be necessary to pursue the charge."

Mr. Hickey is already facing more than $1,500 in fines after being charged under four municipal bylaws, including allowing the dog to attack and not having the dog licensed. He said the charges would be waived if he turned the dog over by tomorrow.

Mr. Hickey was charged after Dozzer escaped through the front door of a Kimito Private home, near Hunt Club and Conroy roads in Gloucester, on Nov. 21 and bit Cheryl Hume, 43, as she walked her Siberian husky, Chico.

Mrs. Hume said the dog lunged after her husky. She found herself in the middle of the fray and tripped over her dog's leash. She fell to the ground and tried to fend off the attacking animal, which bit her several times on both hands.

Mrs. Hume, who wants the dog euthanized, needed more than 20 stitches to close the wounds and suffered broken bones in her left hand.

Following the attack on Mrs. Hume, a Vancouver man came forward to say he, too, had been attacked by Dozzer. Brian Perry, 35, said he was visiting Ottawa when Dozzer jumped up on his leg and bit him. He never reported the incident to bylaw officials.

Under the province's new pit bull legislation, any dog that fits the definition of a pit bull and bites a person or another animal must be ordered destroyed by a justice of the peace. Its owner could also face six months in jail or a $10,000 fine.

In order to successfully fight the legislation, which was passed by the Ontario government earlier this year, Mr. Hickey would have to prove Dozzer is not a pit bull.

Yesterday he claimed the dog was "not necessarily" a pit bull, although Ms. Jones said Mr. Hickey has already admitted that the dog is a pit bull.

"We're confident. We think this is one of the easier ones," said Ms. Jones. "It's clear cut."

In the meantime, Mr. Hickey is allowed to keep the dog at home.

He said he has since had the dog neutered, bought a muzzle and made arrangements to have Dozzer vaccinated. Mr. Hickey said Dozzer was a bit dehydrated and hungry yesterday, but otherwise happy to be home.

Ms. Jones said Mr. Hickey must keep Dozzer muzzled and on a leash at all times in public and contained on his property. If there are any further incidents involving the dog prior to the court's decision on its fate, the city has the ability to seize it again, she said.

Ms. Jones said the city has no choice but to seek to have the animal put down.

"It's just really the reality of what the legislation is. If you own a pit bull, one bite and you don't get a second chance," said Ms. Jones. "One bite and the law is pretty clear. We have no other choice here, we have to go with what the law says."

2. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

i am just not sure what to say here im sad that the guy is losing his dog but it sounds like what i would want done if my neighbors dog had bitten two people. regardless of where this dog is and the current bsl laws. having a dog that you cannot control and that has bitten two people is not acceptable. (this is assuming both bites were factual)

3. bdub

bdub Top Dog

load of crap,,id tell to go f--k themselves

4. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

yeah well his dog got out and bit to people according the facts we are presented with. so its not the first time and he should know his dog may bite. irresponsible ownership.

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

if what was said is true the dog should be taken away and put down.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

His dog was out running loose & bit someone. How can you say that? It's owners like that that have helped to put this breed in the position that it's in. I hope the dog finds a peaceful end & that the owner never owns another pit bull. We don't need him trying to "help" out the breed.

7. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

if they wanted the neighbors too because this guys dog bit someone id have a problem. he doesnt seem like a good owner dog wasnt registered vaccinated or undercontrol. i agree with mia.

8. simms

simms CH Dog

Petbull owner...most cary the same carefree attitude.

Regards.

9. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

oh simms lets not start flinging assumptions and generalizations around like that. there are bad owners on both sides of the fence.

10. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Petbull owner...most cary the same carefree attitude.

So it's your assumption that because a dog is not a "pedigree", that it has an irresponcible owner. That's so wacked. My China is a petbull and I am very responcible.

11. Suki

Suki Guest

EXACTLY!!!!
    well put, (as usual!!!!;) ), Mia!
    This breed gets enuff bad press, as it is. We need people to help curb it, not, add to it...

12. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

What has made you so miserable and hateful in this life?

13. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

If he feels that way, why don't he move out of there quick. Don't look back.

14. simms

simms CH Dog

My assumption, No I don't think so..... I didn't mention pedigree's , I don't know how that dog was bred and I don't care. pedigree or not that dog is and was obviously misshandled By a petbull owner.......who had the carefree attitude that his dog would not could not be a menace, guess what he was.

As far as your concerned and your petbull, No I wouldn't consider you to be a responsible petbull owner or breeder. Ofcourse I don't know what your true intentions are behind the breeding you made not long ago.

1, I haven't seen the ped on those pups or I havent read how they were bred....do you know? you claim that she's your petbull. I'll take your word for that. So with the limited information that you have provided, that I have read. The only reason behind the breeding you made was in hopes to get a male out of her....correct me if I'm wrong???

Then the puppies were all promissed out???

Well, with the limited info that you have provided. I guess I can "assume" what type of petbull owner you are. Do you even relize that you are or have already set the stage for yet another.... very real headline. The potential and possibility is there when you place any animal.

The only smart thing that I've read about you and your dog is that you decided to spay her....kuddos to you, for making a good choice with your petbull.

Regards.

15. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

To Simms: You make it sound like if you you own a Petbull, You have no business owning a pitbull. I have three that are wonderful, loving pets. They don't have to compete or own tittles for me to love them anymore than I do.
    You know nothing about me, my dogs or my intentions. I did breed my China for a male PUP. Who on this site would not breed for something in a dog they wanted to pass down or keep in their family. Isn't that how it all got started. People preach adoption, but I know they breed and for what, God forbid they want to pass good traits on to another generation? I don't need papers or tittles to validate my dogs to you or anyone else. I work in my local shelter weekly and see the reality of what has become of "our breed" and so many others. And as for the pups that were "promised out", they were all altered as part of the legal documentation of the adoptive parents. So having said all this, don't put me in the catagory of a byb or novice when you clearly are quick to judge without knowledge. Mom used to say: "Walk a mile in their shoes and then tell me how tired your feet are." Regards.:)

16. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

OH, and I also agree with Seal, Bad owners are bad owners, Pedigree or not.

17. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Alot of people wouldnt breed their dog just to get a male pup, exspecially if that dog was simply nothing than a petbull. You are a contradiction. you work in a shelter, were there are probably lots of pups and dogs already needing homes and you go becasue of selfish reasons and breed your petdog..then "adopt out" the pups.. why didnt u just keep all of them or put the ones down you didnt want? You trade lives of dogs already bred, looking for homes to suit your wants? you are a byb..you did nothing to help dog,s just fullfill your own selfishnesses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006
    Marinepits likes this.
  18. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

Chinasmom I totally agree with you. If you did breed your unpaperd female that is your choice and I think that is real responsible of you to have all the pups placed in good homes. And furthermore so what if your dog has papers or not papers dont mean anything. I also think that you did a great thing by getting her fixed after the litter. And all the hating thats going on needs to stop from all parties involved that is not why we are here, correct. You bred your female, Why? because you noticed something in her that made a great dog. And in my honest opinion that IS bettering the breed, papers or not.

19. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Alot of people wouldnt breed their dog just to get a male pup, especially if that dog was simply nothing than a petbull.

Then why did so many breeders do this in our past? How do you know that a petbull won't become a pitbill? If the charactoristics that you want are there, who's to say the breeding is wrong? How many ppl have started their own bloodline because they saw something in a dog they liked? I could start training China tommorow and her pup later if I choose to. I think both dogs have great potential, but I also believe it is my choice.
    Never, ever underestimate the pit. The least expected may be the one you will all want in the end.

20. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Simms: Do you own dogs and do you breed?