1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

NJ: owner moves away, leaves behind two dogs in trailer covered with feces

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

NJ dog owner moves away, leaves behind two dogs in trailer covered with feces
    Posted 7:05 PM, February 7, 2015, by Christie Duffy, Updated at 07:07pm, February 7, 2015

PATERSON, N.J. — Imagine living in a trailer with no heat and all you have is a torn up mattress in a place covered in feces.

It’s unthinkable — but, that is how some pets are treated.

Paterson Animal Control and Paterson Police responded to an anonymous complaint on Vreeland Avenue in Paterson on Saturday. The caller said a dog owner had moved away and left behind his two pitbulls.

Animal control found the pitbulls living in dismal conditions. The dogs were apparently living in an approximately 25-by-7-foot office trailer. It was cold inside and the floor was covered in dog defecation. They were laying on a mattress that had been ripped apart.

[​IMG]

Two men who identified themselves as friends of the dog owner were not phased by the conditions these animals were living in.

“Its no big deal,” said Jose Rivera.

“You know people feel like they’re suffering and their really not. It’s cold … it’s understandable. And that’s it,” he said.
    Paterson Animal Control didn’t feel the same way. They asked the men to fill out some paperwork that allowed them to remove the dogs from the site.

While investigating the scene, one of the men lifted a log overhead while yelling at the animals to get back inside

“Could you imagine how these poor dogs felt? They don’t want to be outside,” said John DeCando, Chief Animal Control Officer in Paterson.

DeCando’s team just rescued three other pitbulls from the cold on Friday. Responding to another anonymous call, an officer found the dogs chained up outside a home on Maryland Avenue.

“When we got there, it was like sub-degree weather. 7, 8 degrees. The dogs were absolutely shivering. I mean when the one dog came to me, we took him off the chain, actually jumped into my arms,” said DeCando.

Today, the dogs are at the Paterson Animal Shelter. Their feet are bloody and calloused. DeCando says their injuries were caused by sleeping and standing on ice. Their tails were also wounded, he explained it was from wagging them and hitting the home’s exterior wall.

“With the weather coming in tomorrow night into Monday, God knows what would have happened. These dogs might have died,” he added.

Paterson Animal Control left a note at the Maryland Avenue dog owner’s home on Thursday night, but as of Saturday afternoon, no one had called looking for the dogs.

DeCando is urging anyone who sees a dog out in the cold or being mistreated to call their local animal control, police or the SPCA.

The owners of the dogs confiscated in Paterson on Friday and Saturday could be facing a $1,000 fine and up to 6 months behind bars, if convicted on animal cruelty charges.

If you see pets being left out in the cold or other signs of animal abuse, call the New Jersey at 800-582-5979 or New York SPCA at 212-752-4842.

NJ dog owner moves away, leaves behind two dogs in trailer covered with feces | New Yorks PIX11 / WPIX-TV

2. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

Cold trailer is a 5 star hotel compared to hay and dog houses imo

3. The Handler

The Handler Big Dog

Thats sad.Dont take on responsibilty if you cant handle it.

4. Granite Co.

Granite Co. Big Dog

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if this is yours, then you don't have a clue.. A double wall insulated doghouse packed with straw (NOT hay) is downright warm, even in frigid temps.. Some people amaze me..SMH

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I agree with Granite's comment.

On a separate note, the comment about calling ASPCA if you see a dog in cold weather is just as ridiculous as the comment Granite responded to.

6. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

I feel YOU I'm just saying what I see with my own eyes. Im where the weather is at its worst and I convo'd with u via phone before granite..as of right now I gotta find homes for my dogs bc my basement isn't insulated enough for mine to live in so my landlord calling.the city..we deal with these dogs on a daily bases so we know what they can endure and not endure..maybe I'm just in my feelings tho but idk the situation so I prolly shouldn't have commented

7. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

I can show u some pics off some 11yr old dogs that been in they dog houses yr round with just a comforter, never had health honest to god

8. that was a discusting house. and all you basement kings should give up .wow really a basement and you see nothing wrong with that. and these are the ppl that stay online giving up inputs. just get rid of them thats some crazy nasty shit. you guys stay crying about who got raided and act like the animal control ppl just so happen to wake up one day and go fuck with somebody . i have dogs, hated animal control but as i get older can you really blame them. every place raided looks like shit and all you asshole need to stop doing the barrel thing like i said if u cannot afford to keep a dog in good conditions then give up. this guy talking about the landlord calling the city.Wow so you have dogs in a basement smelling like shit and you mad at him? Sell them dogs get a down payment and buy your own , you guys are fools any one that think basements and barrels are fine because their just dogs are a piece of shit i bet there asses would be very un confortable in a cell straight complaing.

9. my partner is just as nasty too. stupid ass wondering why animal control aspca and state police stay up his ass . im just keeping it real you guys never notice all the places raided all look the same. they all look like my budys basement