1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OVERworking...

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by mrk, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mrk

mrk Pup

I think I accidently overworked my dog on the e-mill & now she no longer want to be on it 5mins. Is she now ruined? Once a dogs' been overworked..will it ever work again? Please help! ...I'd hate to dispose of her.

2. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Let her rest for 3 days to a week, during this time walk her the old fashioned way and give her lots of praise, she should come around.

NGK

3. mrk

mrk Pup

Really appreciate u! Seriously.

4. hardluck

hardluck Banned

is this a joke lol. tell us all how long the dog was on the emill. how fast did you set the speed of the emill and was the dog strapped to the emill? i dont think that our definition of ruined is the same.

5. NGK

NGK Top Dog

I dont think its a joke, just a question from an amature in the dogs who needs an experienced persons opinion. If we all waste our time calling names and being assholes their is no benefit, if it is a joke that turns into a 5 page thread of ignorance then the hoaxer has played you all like fools.

NGK

6. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

is it necessary to resume training asap?

7. NGK

NGK Top Dog

If the dog is sore from overwork, some short hand walking will help. I would start right away....

NGK

8. spaniard

spaniard Pup

some dogs don't like the mill other rather walk or run on a bike one heavy day one lite and rest

9. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

was question to topic starter, i asume he aint doing no keep so no reason to rush back on it in 3 days

10. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Yes their is a reason, maintain work ethic, health and incourage the want to work.

NGK

11. hardluck

hardluck Banned

NGK whats with the name calling? did you get your feelings hurt? the persons question is funny. i know im not perfect at all nor do i claim to be an expert. he/she should of asked these questions before he/she attempted to put the dog on the emill in the first place not afterwards. that's were common sense comes into play and not doing it afterwards and asking questions on disposing the dog now are you kidding me! do you see where im coming from.

from the sounds of it he/she isnt strapping the dog on the emill and is letting it free run it if only doing 5minutes, or is doing it all totally wrong. you have to strap the dog up to the mill. being that the dog is strapped up to the emill and can not stop the emill at all like w/a carpet or slatemill(were the really work the mill) you dont run the dog on the emill. never take the dog past 4mphs on a emill keep the speed between 3-4 and more at a pace of 3.5 becasue they cant stop the thing and will burn there paws off. you go slow building the 1/2 miles and miles on a emill with them strapped to the emill. how old is the dog also? if it is young and is not taking to the the emill, you set the speed at under 3mph's and coax the dog with treats a toy something and build the dogs confidence. if you want to run the dog get a slate mill and not an emill. if you dont want to do that take it outside and run along with it or use a bike. take the dog to fenced park a baseball field something and have it play fetch something to run. its just a funny question that should have been asked before putting the dog on any type of mill in the first place and now asking questions on disposing the dog.

12. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Sounds to me like you have way overthought this but do have good advise hardluck, If I hurt your feelings im sorry, im kinda getting tired of the normal approach everyone takes throwing stones and carrying on like school kids. I think it was an honest rookie question asked after learning from a common mistake and tried to give an honest experienced answer based on my own learnings. Again, sorry for hurting your feelings like that I should know better and now I feel bad.

NGK

13. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Hell i totally agree on this one some good people get run off of here because of folks acting lilke know it all jerks and i also agree it was a valid question for someone who is just starting to work there dog and did deserve a responsible answer now some folks come on here asking for the asshole to come out in people but i do not think that is the case with this particular question

14. hardluck

hardluck Banned

lol my feelings are never hurt. this is not the place for feelings nor to talk about it lol. i was just being funny. there is no sense in arguing over the internet is all im was saying and it seemed like you called me a fool. i dont believe i over thought this becasue i myself put my dog on an emill. its just a question he or she should have asked before putting the dog up on a mill of any kind to begin with is all im saying. i have my definition for ruining a dog and i dont see how he/she could do this in 5 minutes unless they were running the dog on full speed and on some treadmills full spreed is 10-14 mphs. real wrong.

15. AGame

AGame CH Dog

No they didn't only have the dog on for just 5 minutes the OP said they will now only stay on for maybe 5 minutes and an E-Mill is the easiest way to overwork of any mill which is why you need to know what your doing when using an E-Mill i also agree they should have known what they were doing before they put the dog on the mill you can deffinately end up hurting one more than helping if you don't know what your doing

16. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Yes she will work again just might not be on the emill,you may have to find another way to work the dog.I would take NGK's advice.And if your gonna dispose of every dog YOU ruin,i would take the time to do the necessary home work in advance the next time,it will save you,and your dog a lot of wasted time if that is your method.Remember under worked,is always better than overworked.

17. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Let her rest for a waile and she will feel contable again

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

The problem usually is the way the OP asks there questions. If it sounds like a honest legit question you usually get better replies , but if your OP sounds flakey or super retarded like disposing the dog because you ruined it on the emill, then you will get smart ass replies that simple. lol

19. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

agreed. some take things a bit far sometimes.

20. hardluck

hardluck Banned

Thank you Saiyagin its how i felt myself. well, for what it is my apologies to the OP if i was blunt. as with life you take the bumps and roll them off, no hard feelings im just passionate about learning before doing things. ive learned alot from this place myself. welcome and make sure to stick arround