1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Over Weight Puppy!need Help!!

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by El Mexicano, Jun 23, 2005.

1. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

I Think My 8 Month Ld Puppy Is Overweight.and I Want To Know How To Get Him On A Reasonable Wieght.

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

well, first off are you for sure he's over weight? (and then general questions,,healthy? worm free? Vet checked? How big are the parents, etc)

Next thing to look at would be the food you feed him High quality? Do you free feed or measure out the daily portions?

Basically, assuming there is nothing wrong, nice walks, games of fetch and a feeding schedule should work. 8th mo pup is still growing, both physically and mentally so its important to take things slow at first to not damage him. Remember, it is ok to have some puppy fat still. And at 8 months, I dont think some swimming would hurt, either if he likes to (swimming puts less stress on joints, etc) just remember to not over do anything and like with people, gradually build and condition him up.

good luck

3. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

his parents arnt big and he has a hard time when he is tryin to stand up and i just got him cheked out.

4. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

would it be good to walk him.i could take him swimmin to my friends pond this whole summer and fall but i wuld rather walk him when i walk my other dogs.

5. rocksteady

Yes..that is what I wrote ..walks, fetch .. just take it easy, especially if he is having problems getting up..

6. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

You never answered the "How much you feed question, and is it high quality food"? But like rocksteady said. Take it easy with him if he's having trouble getting up. If he's overall healthy like you said above, then maybe cut his food back..Do you feed him table scraps and any other ppl food? also walks, swimming, tug o war, any kind of exercise just to get him burning some calories, but take it real slow, you don't want to injure him since he's young and his muscles are still growing..

7. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

The puppy your refering to is Chico in your gallery right? Do you have any other pic's besides front shots, some so we can see his side or above him?

8. B

B CH Dog

Does he appear fat because he hasn't been wormed regularly? As a pup you need to work every other week for awhile. If you don't kill every single worm, he just gets reinfected and blows up like a little bowling ball again. You should worm every other week for atleast a few months straight. You should but some Nemex-2 or Drontal+.

B

9. lil'lucybear

lil'lucybear Big Dog

um in the gallery you said you feed him ol'roy right?? thats the really cheap stuff you can get at walmart right??? its probably really fatty food if it is the brand i am thinking of, my vet told me that if i don't want to pay the money for a quality food, to get rid of my dog, she recommend nutro, so that is what lucy eats, she is fit and has a beautiful shiny coat.

10. CB

CB CH Dog

ive had great results with the nutro maxx overweight food (purple bag) and he loves it gives him a shiny coat. I owuld recomend that to you then the cheap stuff at wal-mart.

11. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

ok well i just got the pup and thats wut the original owners have fed him all his 8 months of life.i dont have any side pics yet of chico.but i had him check for worms last week.im startin to feed him 3 cups a day his other owners fed him around 5 cups

12. rocksteady

lol you will actually save money if you go with a better feed.. even diamond puppy is better than old roy . .Some other good choices would be Canidae, Chicken Soup.. You feed less than with the cheaper brands.. (cheaper brands like old roy are packed with fillers like corn.. if you get a better kibble, you'll notice a big difference)

good luck!

13. lucibub

lucibub Pup

well, the 5 cups could be the problem, but... I don't know anything, but it would alarm me if my pup was having difficulty getting up. I don't think mildy overweight dogs typically have difficulty getting up unless there is a more serious problem. I would take him to the vet again...go on web-md and look at symptoms too. It's a good start going to a forum for help, too! Everybody is eager to help with suggestions! good luk

if you continue the cheepy food for whatever reason, maybe: feed less dog food & add boiled chkn or chkn broth to diet...or something. I am aware this is not an option for those who do not allow their dogs any other food beside dog food.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
  14. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

Bil-Jack is great food!!!! That is what i feed most of my dogs, that or sportsman's pride is great for pits to. also to slim up quickly and really build some muscle try frozen bil-jack, it is very high in protien and low in fat and is nearly 85% meat, you can also try mixing frozen with regular bil-jack or sportsman's pride - bottom line...almost anything is better than ol' roy!!! good luck

15. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

his joints and spine and stuff like that i got checked out 2 and the vet told me it was because he was overweight and he just told me to exercise him a little more than usuall.

16. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

MY chain dogs eat 30 ounces a day with an occasional egg or raw meat treat of some kind, and that includes dogs the same age as the 8 month old over weight pup, with the exception of pregnant dogs of which I do not have very often. I couldn't imagine feeding 5 cups a day. I worm the 1st of every month wether I think they need it or not. No over weight dogs here. :)

17. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

man i just found out that that dog was stolen then given to me.the owners came to pick up the dog today.the dude that gave it to me made up all that bullshit he told me about the dog.

18. CB

CB CH Dog

WoW what a d!ck head there's people like that though. Did he take the dog if he didnt put flyers around the place of the the dog so somebody can get tehre beloved dog back.

19. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

the owner showed me pics of the dog before i gave him up so i could know they were the actual owners im goin to hunting for that b!tch tom.he better hope i dont find him.

20. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

the people might give me a puppy cus they saw how much my female enjoyed being with him