1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

over breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by swosprey, Sep 3, 2004.

1. swosprey

swosprey Pup

When I first got involved with bulldogs in 1989, they were readily availible, but you actually had to do a little research to find one. Now in just about every city paper they are a dime a
    dozen. Now I am not a professional dogman or anything, I just regular guy who loves the breed. In college I used to foster bulldogs so they wouldn't get euthanised. I live outside of detroit which has a huge problem with dogfighting. I'm not talking about the gentlemans sport
    of Floyd Boudreaux and the Colbys. I am talking about guys trying to prove how tough they are by fighting there dogs in run down houses and crack dens.

My biggest issue comes out of the senseless breedings by people who have no clue of the
    science and history of animal husbandry. How do these breedings effect us? I believe these
    breedings to be the root cause of all the Breed specific legislation that is going on.
    Does the world really need "blue" pits? If you want a dog bred for looks get a poodle. Then
    your dumbass won't get my dog taken away from me. How come up until the late eighties we never heard about "vicious pitbulls"?

Bulldogs are a priveliedge and not for everyone. The current influx of curs and halfbreeds
    is causing a serious problem for all of us who love and respect the breed.

AC likes this.
  2. CRG

CRG Top Dog

could not agree with you more...

3. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

You nailed the real problems right on the head. The things mentioned are truly the downfall of our breed.

4. great post....

5. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Good post keep em coming....

BB

6. tzo45

tzo45 Pup

thats good stuff...

7. yep you hit it right on the nose.

8. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

great post could'nt agree with you more

9. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I'm not too far from Detroit. I'll take my "3/4 breed" anyday over some of those "pure bred" papered currs that are only bred by what their paper says and not how they truely are

and half the dogs I've seen rescued( yes..we've done rescue in detroit) arent am staffs..nor are they big blue dogs.

Why is everyone so quick to blame it on a stupid color? ITs not the color!! Its the stupid BREEDER who has ruined whatever chance the dog or line had. Its the person ,,not the dog. You want to blame anyone start with Mr Colby himself for allowing the AKC to use his dogs for the "aM Staff'. BLame the ADBA and the UKC for allowing the AM Staff to be registered as an APBT . Blame the BYBs and whoever made theri first 1,000 of the color and started the fad. Blame the media for portrayng these dogs as something they werent which inturn made people see $$$ and want an image. Its not the darn dogs fault..they didnt ask to be bred. Blame the dogmen that werent careful and allowed people to get their dogs and do whatever with..

Papers dont make the dog.. the dog makes the paper

Have you been to any Michigan AADR shows? You know that little red bitch who keeps winning? you see how she acts in the ring?? That intensity ?? My dog is a aunt to that dog. Go figure. And BTW...she isnt a curr..

10. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

I'm sure everyone agrees with this, as it is very true.But I see one more thing, and that is alot of senseless breeding by people who call themselves "dogmen". What I'm talking about are people who breed for pretty pedigrees. They breed them because the bitch is "this" and the male is "that". I think someone who hasn't been in the game long enough or has not had the proper schooling shouln't be breeding these dogs. What the hell are they basing their breedings upon? If the parents are in the wrong hands where do you think the puppies are most likely to end up? In fact everyone in general should cutback on breeding until the dust settles down. If some people say they are "dogmen" they should be spending more time in doing "keeps" than in breeding. ]When I first got involved with bulldogs in 1989, they were readily availible, but you actually had to do a little research to find one. Now in just about every city paper they are a dime adozen. Now I am not a professional dogman or anything, I just regular guy who loves the breed. In college I used to foster bulldogs so they wouldn't get euthanised. I live outside of detroit which has a huge problem with dogfighting. I'm not talking about the gentlemans sport
    of Floyd Boudreaux and the Colbys. I am talking about guys trying to prove how tough they are by fighting there dogs in run down houses and crack dens.

My biggest issue comes out of the senseless breedings by people who have no clue of the
    science and history of animal husbandry. How do these breedings effect us? I believe these
    breedings to be the root cause of all the Breed specific legislation that is going on.
    Does the world really need "blue" pits? If you want a dog bred for looks get a poodle. Then
    your dumbass won't get my dog taken away from me. How come up until the late eighties we never heard about "vicious pitbulls"?

Bulldogs are a priveliedge and not for everyone. The current influx of curs and halfbreeds
    is causing a serious problem for all of us who love and respect the breed.[/QUOTE]

11. blueyamr6

blueyamr6 Pup

great post hit it right on the nose

12. GT99

GT99 Pup

"How come up until the late eighties we never heard about "vicious pitbulls"?"

I love that line because it is so obvious how people dont think, they take the smallest example and run with it, now its too the point where it is so bad I dont know if the dogs will ever recover, every decade had its "vicious dog" the witch hunt began and ended then onto the next breed, I just wish that it wasnt so severe for pits now.

BSL didnt work then, it wont work now.