1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Other breeds you enjoy?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hardhead, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Hardhead

Hardhead Big Dog

I know, to me at least, that nothing comes close to the APBT but what other breeds interest you?

I know I've always been a fan of good coondogs, especially walkers. Also like beagles, treeing feists and BMCs.

2. cheese

cheese Top Dog

I like little working terriers

3. hoovereport77

hoovereport77 Big Dog

i hope we can get a patterdale terrier this year. i've always liked their tenacity and drives. we've also had a few performance american bulldogs before hopefully we can have a good one this year too. other breeds that interest me are south african boerboels and rhodesian ridgebacks. if i had a farm i'll get one to be the yard boss. these african breeds are also said to be very good family guardians. the ridgeback and the boerboel are also guardians of livestock and property.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  4. Mostly I like working/hunting dogs. Too many to name, but the short list is Tosa Ken, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Patterdale Terrier, Bully Greyhound (technically not a breed, but a hunting cross, usually APBT/Greyhound), Ovtcharka (Caucasian and Central Asian), Airedale Terrier (working lines NOT show lines).

Edited to say: But some of the best dogs I've ever had were mutts!

5. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

I agree with you hard head, I grew up with coon hounds my dad always had em, old wheel blood blk and tans, great dogs super cold noses, he had a few night ch's that I remember going out at night coon hunting with him with, he would tell me to make that coon swak cuz I sounded just like one when I was little I had the pitch perfect.. Lol.. One night I remember it was getting late and I wanted to go to sleep so they took me to the truck but left the windows down, I fell sound asleep, we had this one walker male at the time by the name of Dick's "Wake Looser" well that night he decided to call it an early night and wanted to go back home so he jumped thru the window of the truck landing on me waking a 3 or 4 year old ME up and proceeded to lick all over my face, me not sure wtf is going on is freaking out cuz I think this sob is a effin BEAR trying to eat ME!! So I scream bloody murder which the dog only trys to comfort me more by licking me even more, my mom and dad rush to the cab of the truck and see the predicament, mom grabs me as I'm yelling a bear is trying to eat me a bear a bear... They finally calmed me down and I see that's its looser and not a bear, from that night forward looser ended up being my dog, and we were best of buddies for many years, he would follow me all around the horse farm and keeping a watchful eye on his little boy as we would go down to the creek and pond and all thru the fields, and to my friends house he would wait outside till we were down playing and then he would follow me the 3/4 mile back home on the gravel road or thru the field if we took a short cut, he was my buddy and a good dog for a little boy but a sorry hunter he would go off and tree trash, I suppose that's why dad let me have him...

I also like patterdale's Mr. D Mason lives in the next town over I like to go over there every now and then. I don't have a story on them.

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Other breeds I have had include a Dutch Shepherd, Border Collie, and my Boston terrier. I will never have another Shepherd, too much noise! My Border Collie passed away and one day I plan on getting another male Border for agility. I have had my first Boston Terrier for only 2 months and I love him! I waited for the right rescue to come along and after 5 years of looking I found him. I think I will always have 1 Boston around. They are fun, full of drive, and a great little dog I can take anywhere.

I have worked with many breeds but none have stole my heart like the APBT.

7. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

Me and my family have always loved Boston Terriers, one of our favorite dogs we've ever had was a Bull Mastiff/Dogue de Bordeaux mix that was a rescue and he was an all around amazing dog. I've been real interested in Patterdales also, I hope to get one sometime in the future

8. Bostons are awesome! :D I had a wolf hybrid pup that I'd take to the dog park all the time, and there was this little Boston Terrier who was always stirring up a chase!!!

9. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Boston Love... I love it!
    This is my Boston, how could you not love that face;)
    General Mc Nasty
    [​IMG]

10. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

i see some interseting things with certain other breeds, but i am sorry to say i frown upon them all. every time i look at another breed, i knowingly say to my self, an apbt could do that. lol... just cant help it.
    i ask you people, am i blind ?

D'S..

11. cutt

cutt CH Dog

you cant help that you prefer top notch. I feel the same way, but I do admire certain breeds with wrking jobs.

12. American Staff
    [​IMG]

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    [​IMG]

Standard American Bullgog
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dogo Canario
    [​IMG]

Cane Corso
    [​IMG]

Chek wolfdog (recognized by the FCI in 1994, Shepherd with work certificate - originally a cross between a GS and a wolf - the genetic heritage from the wolf is between 0,5% and 2% according to bloodlines)
    [​IMG]

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog
    [​IMG]

13. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

I have a great admiration for the Jack Russell Terrier especially ones that display great work ethics. They have amazing heart and determination with alot of moxy all in a tiny package.

14. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

VALKYRIAN: You got any pictures of a greyhound/apbt cross? I'd love to see what that combo looked like.

Getting back to the OP, I have not had a ton of interaction w/ many breeds, but, there will always be a place in my heart for a Great Dane. My parent's have owned 2 and they are some of the 'neatest' dogs out there. Life expectancy (sp) makes them not quite as attractive, but you know that going into it I guess.....

15. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i love our doberman. great yard security. i've also always wanted a patterdale.

16. BishopBullyZ13

BishopBullyZ13 Big Dog

Bull Terriers

17. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Patterdale or Bull Terrrier

18. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

I do like the Bull Terriers also.

19. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

catahoulas here

20. Hardhead

Hardhead Big Dog

A lot of people here in the Southeast swear by Catahoulas when it comes to good catch dogs.