1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ordered my mill today

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pittfallin, Feb 15, 2007.

1. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

ordered my mill today from www.grandcarpetmill.com

cant wait to get it in, ill post some conditioned pic when i get her ready. i think she'll love it, when we play fetch shell play till she almost passes out so ill have to watch her carefull. do yall have any more tips to condition her along with working on the mill?

i should get it in not next week but the one after

2. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

bump please

3. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

They make them right around the corner from me. I was told by one of my mentors to NOT GET ONE and put the $$$ towards a slatmill. I have seen the grands in person and they seemed alright, just alright. I use an e-mill right now and it is just ok. I really dont like it.

When u see a dog run a well built slat mill its a thing of beauty.

i hope it works out 4 u well.

4. truegames

truegames Big Dog

Congrats I plan on getting one of those deluxe mills in a couple months.

5. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

damn, i just paid yesterday and she told me that she already sent it my may....
    oh well, i can post some pics of her working when i get it...i want to get her in adba shape. do you have any advice to help me when i start her workout.....right now i feel her innove evo, the one in the silver bag.
    im kinda thinging about swiching to wolk king

6. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

they seem really nice, ill let you know what i think when i get mine in

7. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

If u are doing intense workouts remember a rest day is just as important as a work day.

IMO from seeing others dogs that Timberwolf organics feed seems like the best. You can also add raw to her diet to shape her up.

8. Marty

Marty Guest

You can do alot of hand walking, :D

Your young you can handle it ;)

9. Attila

Attila Guest

I need to get a mill. Too much walking for me at once and I am stuck using the cane for the next three. spring pole and firt pole saves me. that and the creek.

10. simms

simms CH Dog

Ginny........

11. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I just bought one of these too. I will also get mine in about 2 weeks. Slat mills are waaay out of my price range right now.

My neighborhood is ridden with strays and the county animal control seems not to be concerned. Therefore, walking around the neighborhood isn't a wise choice. I figure that it would be safer for my dog, myself, and these strays to just buy a mill.

What sucks is, I was planning to use that money for some new rims!

12. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

First thing, you want to make sure she gets warmed up before throwing her on the mill. Some flirt pole work for 15 minutes should do the trick.

Also, just make sure you start slow. Watch the dog closely to make sure that the dog isn't dragging the feet, which is a sign of fatigue.

I wouldn't go longer than 5 minutes for the first week or so and make sure that you give plenty of rest time, being at least one day off between runs.
    Slowly increase the length of the workouts in weekly intervals.

If there is anything anyone disagrees with or wants to add something, please let it be known.

I have never used a mill yet. I am just posting what I have heard and read. I am sure there are things left out that can help to make the best out of the workout.

13. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

if possible handwalking does wonders but a mill should do good as well. one of the dogs i walk was kinda chubby and now tht he was getting a 1 hour /1..5-2 mile walk everyday he shaped up real nice :)

14. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

i built a spring pole and she likes it pretty good, but she has so much energy in her i want to take advantage of her willingness to work

15. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

yeah i guess, i feel old though...i work in a machine shop and by the time i get off of work im draggin my feet.
    i planed on warming her up on the spring pole and playing some fetch, and the when i first start i was gonna work her for 5-10 and see how long it takes her to recover ...when she starts recovering easily i was gonna step it up a notch...
    im gonna take some of the advice that yall gave me in the thurogh bashing i got yesterday and start listining more and not getting so definsive so im open to all opinions regardless of what it is...

its just that every since i got sent home from war after being injured i get mad and definsive easly..

16. WWII

WWII Banned

I got a decent slatmill for $800. The guy that made it drove it straight to my house from MI. Ron Carter I believe his name is. Good guy. Showed me how to hook the dog up and what to watch for. Even fitted it with an electronic spedometer. Not the most free spinning mill, but it gets the job done and I believe it to be worth what I paid. I started the dogs out at just a couple minutes a day, then a nice hand walk. Make sure they are actually running it, too. Not just lolly-gagging along. For one of my dogs I stand in front of him with my back to him and swing my arms like I'm running. He goes all out trying to chase me. LOL. Mills are awesome though. Handwalking and flirtpole are the best IMO, but when it's raining or you're too tired, the mill will do the job. And I believe a carpet mill is more of an anarobic exercise, instead of a slatmill which is more aerobic. Either way, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. Let us know what you think when you get to use it.

17. Attila

Attila Guest

Ya a mill sounds better for you that is for sure.

When I was kid my grandpa made a deal that had a wheel that the dog walked on like a big saucer with a rig above to hook the dog too. Kind of a cat mill or horse mill but the dog walked on this big disk and it spun while the rest of the contraption was stationary. I wish I had studied tht thing more. It didn't take him very long it seems to build it. I have a vague picture and memory of the thing in my mind. I know that the dish was attached to a rim and hub on an old horse drawn wagon axle Probably could do the same with a car axle in the housing cut in half and buried a few feet to put the platform just about a foot off the ground. He had the rig hooked to the dog and hung a possume in a cage in front of it. dogs would run the hell out of that thing to try to get to that ugly ole possume. He actually fed that possume for a few years and used it over an over. it didn't seem to care so long as it had cabbage and what not to eat. You could always us a coon or a cat.[​IMG]

18. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I got a used Grand Carpet, it was ok, not the best thing. It warped so I messed around with getting it staright, never was totally. As soon as I finish with my new shop I am going to build a carpet mill. I had a slat years ago and it was load as hell. I like walking and running my dogs so a carpet mill would work fine for me.

19. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

Atilla, u r talking about a table top mill I think. I dont think very many people use that type now days.

20. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I've seen those table top mills. I've heard they work well, just take up a lot of space.