1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by gator, Apr 10, 2004.

1. gator

gator Big Dog

I always considered judging a $15.00 opinion or however much it cost for your entry fee. As much as I hate to say it I truely believe the conformation ring especially with the A.D.B.A. is all about who you know and not your dog. Just my Humble Opinion.

2. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

Some dogs just aren't built for it. Other than that I would have to agree with u about the judging.

3. Gamest

Gamest Pup

I agree totally. It is who u know way to much favoritism. I was in a club here in TEXAS and finnalyy got out way to much favortism. What ever club host a ADBA show 9 out 10 of there memebers win .

4. gator

gator Big Dog

Sad but in general you are right

5. Gamest

Gamest Pup

VERY SAD I had come to tha club wantin to meet be people but there were people in tha club 10 or more years and would just turn there noses up at u.:mad:

6. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Dito......as they say.....it's not who you know, but who I know! Bunch of sorry ass politics. Just my opinion!

7. 3BK

3BK Pup

woah!!!! I thought politics in dog shows only apply here in the philippines! Damn! I was an Officer before in an APBT club here and I quitted that club coz of Politics!!! It's all aboput who you know and how much you have! plus, who IS your dog!!! And it's all bullcrap! And the sad thing about this is that 50% of members or patricipants are kids of ages 15 to 18 years! tooo bad! the good thing about the dog shows here is that you meet new friends and share ideas and all! But at the other club I later became a Certified Judge myself. And I can say they have the BETTER Judging System to lessen Politics!!! There are 3 different judges at the same time so NO Favoritism may be applied!

yis

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2004
  8. gator

gator Big Dog

Alot of people get in a clique or club and think that it belongs to them? They forget the whole purpose of the club which is to reach out and get new people involved and actually have a good time..

9. MMK

MMK Guest

at last years nj adba show i watched the show for a little bit and watched this one little black dog trying to hit everything it could. i would have picked the same dog to win.
    MMK

10. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I had one of my dogs evaluated before hand from a person who had nothing to do with the particualr show we were going to. My dog has great conformation..he's just 60 pounds lol but clearly the standards state even though smaller dogs are preferred, weight in proportion to height ..and he just slides in under the desired weights

Anyway..I didn't expect to win because he wasn't as conditioned as he should be. And i'm not sore..we had fun. I would have liked the judges though to maybe give you a glance at your dogs score sheet and explain why they didn't win or what would make them better.. sometimes little details aren't as obvious to us as a judge

I was happy to see the best dog at the show take home every prize she could .. in all, I could tell there still was some politics running around there..but since it was only a fun show, it was just that, fun.

11. gator

gator Big Dog

Most judges will go over your doh with you after they have completed their judging.

12. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

the politics are in all the shows you find.Each registry has it's own conformation ideas.Thats why I decided to get into the weight pulling.Still a lot of politics but they have to go by what your dog pulls,not who you are.

13. who

who Top Dog

YEAH I agree there are alot of politics in the show ring people bend and stretch the comformation standards to where the "PITBULLS" of the show ring today are non athletic and etc. but the adba is a little better but yes the politics are playing a bing role in the shows....well my opinion is practice your brown noseing LOL

14. Well this is just my opinion.I have been to and ADBA show and not shown.Just to get a feel of what goes on.I am quite new at showing also.I have since then shown in 2 AADR.First was a fun show and the other a regular show.My daughter showed her pit in junior handler.She did ok.Shes only 5.I showed my dog in the second show.I only know of these people from who i got my puppy from.I took 3rd in both shows that day.This dog had never been shown before either.I also didnt know any of the judges.
    So just goes to tell you sometimes its not always that way.
    But I will say that when i did attend the ADBA show it seemed the people with the biggest kennels out there were the ones to win.
    Just my experience and opinion.
    Here is the dog i showed.Please tell me what you think.The white pit is my daughters.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2004
  15. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

I think both dogs are nice and seem very happy - good luck in the future!

16. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I show my dogs alot & I hardly ever win anything. But I don't go to shows for that, I go to fellowship with other people who love these dogs as much as I do.

17. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

It depends on the judges..From talking with a judge who's been around and is certified both ADBA and AADR, he said many judges pick dogs based on what they like to see in a dog.. Some judges tend to get picky and stay with the standard, other judges not so and still it depends on the other dogs in the class. I've seen dogs who dont deserve to win win, and great dogs not place. I've had dogs place and win under one judge then not place under another. Its just all part of the game.. and again, depends on the dogs in the ring at the time And it also depends on the dog's attitude :)

Both your dogs look nice..allthough a bit long in the back on the drk one..(or it could be how she's standing in the pic..) I have a female the same way..

18. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

every judge knows before the dogs roll in what he/she is looking for. some like the bigger dogs some like smaller. some like the reserved confident quiet dogs others like the the nutty ones. me i like the nutty ones lol theres one piticlar dog ive seen show 5 or 6 times owned by a club president that has never won that ive seen. but she has always been my pick. that bitch will yelp and holler the whole dam time. and when she walks out shes dam near lost her voice and her whole mouth is bloody lol

19. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

It all depends on the judge. Some judges take their time, look the dogs over, and give ribbons to those that deserve it. Other judges look beyond the dog and see how is handling it..lol Once you've been to a few shows, showed under different people you'll get the feel of it.

We've learned to keep certain dogs at home if a particular judge will be at that show..that's why its frustrating for them to keep the National's Judge a secret until the show day.. 2 years ago I would have had a better chance at placing if I would have known who was judging and brought the appropriate dogs..lol

I agree its all in who you know as well. When we first started, no ribbons, never placed, but once we starting going to more and more shows (with pretty much the same dogs) the ribbons started happening..hmm..makes you think doesn't it. As for the clubs...LMAO...we joined one, went to a few meetings, tried to help out but were looked over and told "we've got it covered" sooo we went back to independant. Its a shame that those that have been in the clubs can't open up to those that WANT to help out and be involved. We'll never join that club again simple because of the poor way it is ran, and the members being all about patting each other on the back and making excuses. Now don't get me wrong, they put on a hell of a show...BUT...how long is that going to last when they don't have any new members to continue it? Ahh hell its more fun to meet up with all our friends there and catch up anyway..lol

LR

20. DEACON ROM

DEACON ROM Top Dog

glad you stll get out to the shows considering, and really the few ive been to they needed the help.