1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Omega-3 Fish Oil vs Flaxseed Oil

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by norcalreds.com, Nov 4, 2009.

1. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

Is one better than the other? I wanna add it as a <NOBR>supplement</NOBR> for my dogs <NOBR>diet</NOBR> but was wondering which would be better and why? Or if using both would be necessary? What are the benefits?

2. melros

melros Pup

I've used both and think the fish oil works better.

3. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

https://www.barleans.com/literature/forti-flax/111-natural-nut-source.html

i use barleans cold ground forti-flax for obvious reasons.

Fiber
    Contains both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber

Fatty Acids
    Contains essential* Omega-3 and 6 as well as non-essential Omega-9 in an excellent balance to support health

Vitamins
    Contains 8 essential* vitamins

Minerals
    Contains 4 major minerals and 4 trace minerals

Tocopherols
    Contains alpha, delta, gamma tocopherol

Amino Acids
    Contains all 10 essential* amino acids (complete protein) as well as 8 non-essential amino's

Phytochemicals
    Contains: Lignans, Phenolic Acids, Flavonoids and Phytic Acid

4. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

In short, Fish oil is better. The product waste and chemical conversions associated with the use of Flax oil makes it inefficient for use in a canine diet to supply omega-3's.

Flax is composed of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) not EPA or DHA (found in fish oil)
    The body uses various enzymes to convert ALA to other omega-3s, and the process is not very efficient, especially as one gets older. Estimates of the rate of conversion range from 5% to 25%. In order to make sufficient amounts of EPA and DHA, one needs to consume 5 or 6 times more ALA (Flax oil) than if one relies on fish oil alone.

Another consideration is that ALA competes metabolically with the other essential fatty acid that the body cannot make for itself. Linoleic acid (LA) plays the same role for omega-6 fatty acids that ALA does for omega-3s: The body uses LA to make all the other omega-6s that it needs.

All ALA conversion info deals with humans and not canines. It is assumed the conversion rate are worse for a canine that has a short digestive track.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid -- more info on ALA.
    Flax oil is also known as Linseed oil.

5. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

well shit, you learn something new everyday. It was my understanding that the use of cold ground flax seed trumped flax oil and fish oils in efficiency.

from consumer reports webpage-

As good as fish oil?

Flax products come in three forms: supplements, oil, and the seed itself. All of those, like fish oil, contain omega-3 fatty acids. In fish oil, those substances protect the heart in several ways, notably thinning the blood and lowering levels of triglycerides. Moreover, those fatty acids might offer other health benefits, including protection against mild depression, Alzheimer's disease, and macular degeneration.
    But it's unclear if the fatty acids in flax, which come in the form of alphalinolenic acid (ALA), provide the same benefits. That's because the body has to convert ALA into the two fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), found in fish oil. And to get meaningful amounts of those compounds you may have to consume lots of flax, according to a September 2008 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It found that even large doses of flax oil—four to six 600-milligram capsules—boosted blood levels of EPA by only about 35 percent and had no effect on DHA.

6. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

Flax is good for Lignans a phytoestrogen product that also acts as an antioxidant, but I would not rely on it for Omega-3's.

The info above is why supplements like Missing Link are a waste of money, they are composed mostly of ground flax.

7. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

Nice, thanks.

8. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

Wow... all great info! Thanks!:)

9. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

I always used cod liver oil

BUT THIS IS SOME GOOD READING HERE

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I feed salmon or canned jack mackeral and my kibble contains alot of fish and fish oil...as a skin conditioner fish oil is good....but in keep I supplement with Flax seed oil or a 3-6-9 caps. I use other fat sources as well!

yIS

11. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

So why do you change to flaxseed oil in a keep? What would be the benefits or difference maker?

12. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

Why cod liver oil? How much and often?

Are you familiar with Vit. A poisoning, and the possibility of your dog building up a toxic level? Why not just feed liver treats?

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Same here. Much prefered the results of the fish oil.

14. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Not sure if I worded it it right but I don't switch to flax only....I feel there is enough fish and fish oil from my raw feed and kibble that I only add flax seed oil as another supplement.

YIS

15. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

Great info and great thread! I always wondered...I always gave salmon oil but now I know why I felt I should stay away from flax. Thanks guys!

16. What about kibble that already has fish oils in it? Is it still a good idea to supplement?

17. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Exactly...over-supplementation is where people go wrong..."too much of a good thing can be bad for you"! Most forget the kibble nowadays have some pretty good ingredients, vits/mins, digestive enzymes and herbs added to it, and that before adding any other supplements to the mix you should see what your kibble currently has and what amounts!

YIS

18. SilentDobe

SilentDobe Big Dog

This is very true! You can easily poison your dog by trying to do good! However, with a RAW diet that is not premade, you can add, just pay attention. Example of a proper raw diet over-supplementation is say, calcium. So, yes, be the bag-flipper in pet stores everyone hates. :D

19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

But all in all in the end....fish oil is the better of the 2 if you had to go with one!

20. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

CLA is a good one 2, while working at EAS I read Univ backed research showing that at 7 gms a day(not cheap) it increased muscle mass decreased fat stores and shrunk rectal cancer tumors...oh yeah all done with canines.