1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Olde Tyme Carpetmills New Life

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by chain weight, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I wanted to post these pics to show some things from th 031 (640x480).jpg e past, and some things for the present. I have been building these carpetmills since the early 1980s. I wanted to post this one picture of 026 (640x480).jpg an old add (Sporting Dog Journal) I had placed in the Journal back many years ago. I am still building and using these carpetmills today. Carpetmill pics 007 (640x480).jpg The training for conditioning is still the same. I used to be "Bulletproof Kennels" now I'm Bulletproof Primitive supply. I run a wilderness skills and survival training business. Please contact me for information regarding these carpetmills. I am still using my same old blood from the old Ch. Joe Testiment, and Ch. Uncle Bud blood.

2. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

I like the look of your Carpet Mill, Catch Weight.

What do you use for rollers?

3. APBTfan

APBTfan Big Dog

Mills look real nice, could you please pm a price and location?

4. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

It looks just like the one Slim12 makes.

5. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

What are you using for the slide surface? In pic 2, look at the dogs front foot, it sinks in too much, causing the stiff turn you have in the mill. Good work non the less, just spotting much needed improvements.

6. @ mac11: The first issue is that the carpet mill in the video is not yet broken in, and the carpet was stiff from being new. The other issue is that the dog on the mill is only his first time to work a carpetmill and he was only 8 months old. Carpet mills do have a breakin period.

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

do you have plans for that turn table back there?

8. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

I am a firm believer in a good carpetmill and use one all the time...Ill pick my carpet over a slat. Break in time is needed for a new carpet mill or new carpet on an old mill. Just watch your dogs and dont be stupid when it comes to over workingv on a carpet mill.

9. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Not all carpet mills have a break in period. And the dog only ran like that on the mill cause there was too much resistance. Puppy or not he was smart enough not to burn his kidney's up.

10. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Thats true Mac11 but i use a real thick/heavy carpet on the mills i run and the backing is real stiff so it takes a few days for it to loosen up. I always use wd40 on the bottom of the carpet when in work anyway. i found that it reduces the resistance of the carpet and also isnt bad on the bulldogs pads. A sheet metal floor and 8 inch rollers to me are a must on carpets. A person can get wind and strengh out of a carpet mill if its built right. JMO

11. APBTfan: the location is NW Florida. The price is $550.00. best to you Primitive Supply

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

the carper mill can be effective built and used in several different ways...i like mine to offer some resistance but open up and have some all out free spinning as well....i have built a ton of them with varying carpets. rollers, sliding surfaces. I like a medium backed carpet, not so thick it is a hard driver and not so thin as to bind when pushed against....
    the key to the mill is time spent running it....if it is a hard turner then the times will be shorter...if it is a free-er turning mill then the times can be lengthened...but with most every thing in conditioning a bit too little is way better than a bit too much....this is a short video of the mill I make...pick up only in NC...$325....plans to build your own are $30....mill can be built for less than $175 which includes the price of the plans...

[video=youtube;nq7h6nQmKoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM[/video]

13. @ slim12: I totally agree with you Slim, I like the look and craftsmanship of your carpetmill. I too have built many carpet mills of different types of resistance. ( look closely at the old black&white Ad of my carpetmill, featured in the Sporting Dog Journal 1980) The issue of the thinner carpet for my my carpet mill will make it run easier. I have several mills that I can rotate the dog that is being worked. Sometimes it can be the particular dog and his working style. Some dogs only work balls out, while other dogs will just trot at a steddy pace all night, on what some people call "TOO MUCH RESISTANCE". I have seen one dog work my carpet mill, and walk at a steady pace, while other dogs make it very tough, because of their style of working. I have one carpetmill with thin carpet, and another with a little thicker. I have found that if it isn't really "TAXING" the dog being worked then the dogs would do just as well to run behind a truck. Something I don't do. best to you SLIM12..........Primitive Supply

14. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

nice mills...i agree the dogs always tell us how good the mills are...and recognizing differences between dogs on any give mill is a must....there is nothing 'cookie cutter' or 'absolute' in these dogs....i have always thought the guy who could recognize and make subtle changes on the fly would be pretty hard to beat...i like the mill that the dog has to drive and keep diving...i like it a mill that will let the dog give all he has...smooth yet providing resistance....good luck with the mills...US1

15. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

bump this thread

16. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

Right on poison!!

17. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I'm in the process of building A carpet mill, one question doe's humidity affect the turning of the carpet mill? Still using the slat I built over 40 trs. ago, just upgraded to inline skate wheels! Now I don't have to wear ear protection!! LOL made A HUGE difference!! The most time I use A mill is in (pre) or just some exercise!

18. old goat

old goat CH Dog

Hey Trot did you have to drill new holes for the inline skate wheels ?

19. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I'm doing mine now. I have half of it done. I haven't had to drill new holes year. I brought wheels the same size as the steel wheels are.