1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old-time winners that got along with other dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bahamutt99, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I know that these had to have been few and far between, but I've heard they exist. How about it? Got any stories about pre-1976 winners who got along with other dogs? (Outside the [], of course.) I know that among my own dogs, they're more likely to get along with fluffy-butts than others of their own breed. Were there dogs like that?

2. MdDogger

MdDogger Pup

Ive heared from several different people that Gr Ch Virgil (one from the 90's) could run near other dogs and not attack them. And would play with pups and cats.
    I saw pics of the pups and cat but never of grown dogs maybee others can chime in.

3. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Jacksons "Dixie" She played well with other dogs as long as they were nice. But in the fun box she was pure hell. She also lived till 13 years old and the only dog that could run with her was her litter mate sister. That was a great dog all the way around loved kids and was the best dog I ever seen in the house. Jezz that brought back some good times in the head. Its hard to find them like that. YIS J

4. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I've read Tudor's Dibo was like this with others dogs, can anyone confirm?

5. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

Sorrell's Uncle Bud was like that, I've heard.

6. SPFDOGS

SPFDOGS Guest

Read in a old SDJ that Traxler's Noonie would play with dogs that played nice..Read the same thing about Ch.Peterbuilt..

Saw a old yard tape of DOA's GrCh.Virgil off lead in a yearlings chain spot,and they were acting like best buddies..

My parents had a 75lb mutt that I could let loose in my dog yard (which included some hot heads),and not 1x did he ever get attacked..He would make his rounds and greet all the dogs..

7. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

if im not mistaken i saw him in the video dogman 2000 where is of leash in the yard

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks for the stories, all. Keep 'em coming! I'd read about Dibo in one of Stratton's books. That prior to being picked up by Tudor, he ran loose in Heinzl's yard and didn't bother the other dogs. Haven't heard of any of these others yet. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of the other dog I'd heard of who was like this. Jimmy Boots maybe? :confused:

9. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I recall reading somewhere about a dog named Mongoose, can't remember the owner or breeder of the dog. He supposedly got along with other dogs that didn't start up with him. Nice quality, IMO.

10. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

There is a picture in Garry Hammonds Book(A half centery w/ the apbt Pg.125) Of Hammonds Bruno and Hammonds Macho working a a suspended Tire together. Under the picture Is reads "A tricky situation" lol, ya I'd say so!

11. [​IMG]

That's Santa's Gr Ch Mongoose. Here's a pic, ped, and story...

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=4362

Bred by Rushin Kennels, Mongoose or "Goose" as he is commonly called won his first three for the Havana Boys. Havana Chico ran into some problems and had to sell him, which is when we acquired him and finished him off for his Grand Championship.
    It is hard to describe Goose’s "Pit Manor". You would put him in the box and he seemed to know that he was going to win. While the other dog looked angry and anxious, Goose always seemed calm and determined. Once the ref. announced "Release", he would trot at a medium pace and meet the dog in the center. It was once they met Goose showed his true splendor. Goose was the kind of a dog that fought from his heart straight to his mouth, not the other way around like a lot of hardmouthed dogs do. He would walk into ten hits just to get his one, and when he did the other dog would look up at you, his eyes seeming to say, "Why couldn’t I have been born a Poodle?" He never shook real hard or bit sporadically. He would just grab a leg and sink his teeth into it until it broke, then he’d move to another leg. After that, if the other dog was willing or able to scratch, he would hit the chest. This would accomplish putting the dog out of his misery most times, except for the case when the other dog had enough juice left in him to jump the wall.
    Goose was not only tremendous in the box, but he was good around people too. He always seemed to be relaxed, not barking much either. He’d sit and let birds bathe in his water bowl, and roll on his back to let puppies nip at his chest and his feet. And as soon as you showed him the mill, he would jump right on and practically condition himself, hardly stopping to take a deep breath. You couldn’t ask for a better dog, he was an "Ace", and anyone who has seen him go will agree, I’m sure.
    Goose is currently under the watchful eye of a close friend, Mr. Bill. Bill’s medical knowledge has made it possible for Goose to still be with us. I am glad to say, Goose is alive and well because of it. Grand Champion Goose now waits to be bred, and have his offspring make him a Register of Merit. Of the dogs he has already put on the ground there are several winners. Hemlock’s Badger 1xw in 1 hr. 14 min., Havana Chico’s Goose Jr. 1xw in 3hrs!!!, and Mr. Bill’s Ms. Goose 2xw.
    Yours in sport,
    Santa & The Heartbreak Kid

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Good stuff, guys! Wish I had the cash to pick up some more books. I haven't read anything new APBT-related in a while.

13. HBK

HBK Big Dog

I was once told that Gr Ch Nigerino was like this.

14. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

This is the only dog that came to mind. Cool story too.

15. koening

koening Top Dog

What about Centiped ? I remember I've read something like that about him ...

16. lol, you never wondered why those stories sounded so good? You never hear of the cats and pups that Ch Virgil did not play so "good" with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Play nice? "What that mean?" :cool::D

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I just hope there are not people out there looking for "backup" to explain why they are keeping dogs together. Dog stories are exactly that...stories. Granted, they are based on facts but served with a lot of sprinkles and whip cream to make it even better.

Adult game dogs rarely befriend another game dog....and rarely is an exaggeration. If you do not wish to jump between two dogs fighting, do not try to go against their genetics. Save yourself a nervous breakdown.

tommy3 likes this.
  17. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I'm sure there are folks looking to support the statement "dogs must be trained to fight," but I am not one of them. (My dogs are no gamedogs, and they still need to be separated.) Hopefully anyone who spends any amount of time over here understands that. I just like hearing the stories. You hear lots of stories about dogs who are hell on wheels, but rarely do you hear about dogs who could just be a normal dog at times. :)

18. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Had a very talented dog named Brendy(well, my father's dog, many years ago). She was a...well, very smart, talented dog. She would play with any dog on the yard, unless they tried her. Once they would try and break bad, it was over with. I know this not because I let my dogs run together. Heck, I have two 10 week old pups that I had to seperate with break sticks yesterday, and treat wounds!! I know this because I have had a dog slip a collar every now and again, and found them in Brendy's spot, playing, or laying on top of each other, and then I have had the time I heard a rucus in the morning out of place, run outside, jump the fence to go and break her and another dog up. I have also found dead strays in her chain spot. Told one of the neighbors, "well, your dog must've tried something with her.

It is my belief that these dogs got their fix in the [], and were okay around the yard.

And b4 you jump me and say I dont contain my dogs properly, either you dont have any, or they are not game bred, because accidents happen. show me one yard of well bred dogs that has not had an accident, and I'll show you where Mary Poppins lives.

19. MASONDOGS

MASONDOGS Pup

I know plenty of yards that hardly ever have accidents ( and by that i meant maybe two or three in a span of thirty years) I myself have never had one...(guess my dogs must not be game bred lol...) You yourself said the dogs had slipped the collars, those accidents could have easily been prevented by doing simple collar checks when you feed... Its not that accidents dont happen, cause they do...Its that some peoples standards of containment are higher than others...;)

20. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

Of Virgil, here's a quote from a man who spent quite a bit of time with Gambler and Virgil when he was being campaigned:

"he even got along with the house cat and generally wasn't overly aggressive to other dogs - but put him in the box and he knew it was time for business. He was even ok around puppies."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.