1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old Methods

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Pipbull, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

So I was just flipping through The Sporting Bull Terrier manual (thanks, Oldtimer), and since I'm a conditioning nut, that's where I stopped. I just wanted to ask a couple questions about some of the methods in there, if anyone has input.

This first thing was the white oak bark solution. I read about how it toughens the dogs pads. And to make it, take an unknown measurement of white oak bark and seep it in boiling water for 3-4 hours and then it's good to use. So, any merit to this at all? I'm all about my dogs getting their pads toughened up, I've been redoing my backyard, so I don't want to much walking to hurt them, especially since it's so hot here. And if this is worth trying, does anyone have a more current method of making this? Or measurements that still exist? I think they called it a hatchet of bark, or something like that.

Secondly, he talks about using boiled water for the dog to drink, because it does not put on fat like normal water. I'm guessing he is talking about the dog getting bloated if he drinks a lot of water after a good run. What makes boiled water better? Is it the same as distilled water, or something else that I can buy jugs of, or am I going to be boiling a crap load of water everyday?

I guess that's all I can think of right now, thanks in advance for any responses.

2. I'm sure that you already know most of this, but I'll try to input something. I agree that was a good read...although outdated. A "pre"-conditioning phase is important to save the dogs pads. Before getting into tough work starting with walks, etc. toughens the pads and prep them for harder work. Along with that avoiding rocky, rough, and hard areas is the best thing. Third, and opposed to white oak bark, is a product called tough pad that is sold at most feed stores. See http://www.vetdepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1292. There are many varying products that may be better or worse.

As far as the boiled water I think it comes from the times before we had water treatment facilities filtering water for us. Purification was the goal because a match dog needed to be free of internal parasites.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  3. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Yeah that white oak bark will do the trick on getting them pads hard,now a hatchets worth in my day was about the same size as if you put 2 pop tarts side by side now whether he is meaning the same size or not i don't know for sure.and a lot of times it vaires from person to person some a little larger some a little less.really is no set amount of anything just set it in boiling water and let it be for that amount of time no more no less and then just apply it.

Now as far as boiling the water it was once thought that unboiled water made a animal fatter and if you boiled it it took something out of it and if you were doing some form of strenous work you gave your animals only boiled water to drink about a week or so before.but i think what it really was was in certain cases the dogs or animals got some type of parasite and bloated,but it was also common practice when i was a boy that you just boiled your water before you drank it because you had to make it clean.i remember my brothers and i toting big buckets back from the creeks and the well and mother would boil about 14 gallons a week in big pots,otherwise you was liable to spend the night in the outhouse throwing up and running off at the bowels,so i reckon thats what they was meaning in that book as well.but it was a common belife that water contained some form of fat or calories,and that came about because sometimes when your thirsty you feel hungry and it goes right away with a big glass of water.thats about all i can figure it might be.

4. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

does anyone use special water when working a dog? I never thought of it until this whole boiled water things came up. And it sounds right that it was just because in those days you had to boil water to make it fit for drinking. But what about distilled/purified and all that nonsense. Is that supposed to be any better or make any difference for the dog? I would think not, but again, the book got me thinking.

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

There are alot of stuff that people use when working their dog or condition their dogs. Not that many people will tell you what they use. I personally just use plain and simple water that I drink from the sink and hose because our place was built with water purifiers. Now when I was living in the 215 I was giving my dogs boiled water because my family would always do that before we drank anything from the sink (atleast 25mins).

6. Smithson

Smithson Pup

The boiled water thing is an old's wives tale. Boxers would also drink boiled water.

Water has no fat. Boxers, jockeys etc. will dehydrate to lower their weight before competing. Weight pull dogs my do the same. You are not lowering fat levels though. As soon as more water is drunk the weight will go back on. To compete in any sport dehydrated is dangerous. Boxers will start drinking water straight after a weigh in.

7. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

My questions were more about curiosity than actual use. Just things I didn't understand and wanted to get info on.

Since the topic was brought back up, they also talk about a mill sort of machine, built like a carousel. Anyone know what that is? I saw a picture posted of a small circular mill before, I figure that's what it is. GSDBulldog posted it a long time ago, not sure if she still has it.

But ya, I was just asking out of curiosity.

ETA: I checked again, and it actually says "half peck" for the measurement, not hatchet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  8. From my reading I interpreted that running machine to be a jenny.

9. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

The reason for boiling water is to clean it up. It's the beginning stage of distilling. Distilled water is more ideal, but boiling will still clear out the minerals some. The sodium in the water will cause the body to hold onto it longer. Water acts as an insulator thereby creating the body to heat up quicker. This is not desired in a show.

10. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Boiling water will NOT reduce minerals, it will intensify them....minerals and vitamins and other SOLIDS are nonevaporable in water. Thus making then unable to evaporate. Bacteria and viruses can be killed by boiling but their toxins will remain so be careful.....also, minerals and other things will remain too, and actually be more intense than original, since some water has boiled off and left behind the original amount of solids making the final volume more concentrated. Boiling is just to clean the germs out not distill it... unless you catch the evaporation. Thats distilling.

11. Mr Mark

Mr Mark Guest

Okay, my mistake. I did write that it's the beginning stage of distilling and that distilling is ideal. Thanks for the clarification.

12. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

If you are considering using distilled (basically dead) water, I recommend you investigate the pro's and con's before you do so.

There may be some benefits from short term usage (detoxification) but in the long run you may be doing a disservice to your dog (mineral depletion).

Here's an article to get you started...:)

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water_2.htm

13. 86404Mega

86404Mega Pup

Yes; training machine is an all wood jenny...nice, seen one in the Carolinas some years back