1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old Irish Staffs

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Lusitano, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

I addressed the question at hand; did you miss that? .. ... they crossed in other breeds for other purposes however they used the game bull terrier to add vigor to other breeds; not the bull terrier per todays understanding in the early tosa and so on. The irish dogs your looking for are alive and well, you just have to find the traits your looking for. THe original bulldog is the old SBT, I showed an old diagram you could compare. So to me those early irish dogs look like APBTs to me.. traditional that is.. I'll step out, its just interesting that so many people think so many dogs are lost... .. dna/mtdna goes back 1000s of years.

2. smithy

smithy Big Dog

I don't care what you say as somebody already said you can't breed a jrt from a mastiff

3. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

no they bred it from a wolf..... mutation after mutation... but still canis lupis on the dna scale..

4. stickler

stickler Banned

How does the term 'gameness' fit into your story ?
    And how big is the difference in DNA between the human race and monkeys ?
    Can't be that big, lol. So there should be still the chance to get a new Einstein from breeding 2 monkeys, lol.

5. smithy

smithy Big Dog

I can't stop thinking about monkeys with Einstein moustaches hahaha!!

6. Foundation

Foundation Big Dog

guys.. you gotta be more level headed than that? Monkeys?? Einsten?? The DNA in dogs says its canis lupis wolf.. Humans close to chimpanzees?? Yeah thats why they've used pig hearts for translplants because Chimps or Apes are so much like us.. Human is human... Dog is wolf. how does the term gameness fit into the story?? this thread is about old dogs supposedly lost... I touched on game but it goes withoutbeing said the game bred trait is a trait that only the APBT has harbored as a "breed" trait, they couldnt be registered in the beginning as APBTs unless they won two bouts in the [] in the founding of UKC. Your irish pit dogs are not lost.. Your comments and arguments just don't hold water and show your lack of dialogue.

7. pockets

pockets Big Dog

this tread is getting outa hand lol and is starting to become nonsence.foundation is right in what he says about dna and dogs if u read his posts it will make sence cause as i have been reading threw the 3 pages there is to much slabbering going on to know what each persons point is.there is also a good documentary for anyone that want to know more about dog dna on you tube.

8. smithy

smithy Big Dog

This thread was asking if there were any irish staffs like the gull terr the op put up so to answer? No.

9. GameStock

GameStock Pup

interesting

10. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

This is where the time machine comes in yall. Some can comprehend that and some cant. Foundation is right on with all his posts. These are the type of threads that people can learn from because it causes folks to work backwards and possibly see something that they did not the first time. Study up. genes do not lie, people do.simple as that. el tempo passa
    If correct info is not taken when offered, than why are we here on this site anyway?
    We all love our dogs to no end. If someone puts in much time to understand and evaluate history, they should be able to answer any questions that may arise themselves. All I know is I need to get out to them mountains and shake your hand one of these days.

now quit all the monkey business ! This thread has some real good stuff in there.

11. GameStock

GameStock Pup

It took a lil reding on this thread but i understand 100% where you're comin from, what most of the readers and followers of this thread don't know is that back in the day when the Colby dogs were first bred that Colby and a fella named Irish Jerry got together and done some breeding, ring a bell??? OFRN dogs were started off of some of this irish blood that Irish jerry had brought from back home, he had preserved only the gamest of the blood, I don't want to misquote anyone or anything but I read some time ago where Irish Jerry said the dogs he had back home deepest of game and had fire red eyes, now if you see anything that I write that you beg to differ with please let me know because I myself want and need a better understanding of these Irish dogs the people seem to think they are all just a fond memory.

12. GameStock

GameStock Pup

By the way, my previous post was meant for Foundation.

13. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

You not talking about Irish Jerry ...the famous dog man from the 1970s...Wehunt, Honeybunch , Trim moody etc etc ?

14. hey ricky nashadpit will be on soon giving his tuppence worth lol

15. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

all of this is incorrect, irish jerry was around in dogs from the 60's -70's til the present, he had nothing really to do with colby except for owning a couple with colby dogs in their pedigree way back, just like all pit bulls do.

16. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

I think this is him...lol

17. irishbull

irishbull Pup

old Irish (Staff) go to gallery is that wat u looking for..

18. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...so can we breed back-wards...yeah i think ya can if that's what ur saying...but do we need too

19. david63

david63 CH Dog

confused on irish and rnglish dogs does't matter

20. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

Gull terr is a indian/Pakistani trying to say bull terrier. Original dogs brought to the Indian subcontinent were famed for their gameness and hardy disposition. Bred by locals still to fight & catch boars. But they are crazy man biters and are not culled for this. They are usually chained and used as guardians. But they are not dog or people friendly. Only experienced folks have them as neighbours will kill them on sight if let loose to roam. Nice if bring one up as a pup. They are usually crossed with bully kutta to make a Kanda (thorn) dog which has lot of mouth. Gull terrs are kept as pure lines. Many villagers use the blood crossed as catch dogs. Same as gypsies & hunting folk do the same shit the world over, lol.