1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Old game Bred Bull terriers

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Box Bulldog, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Irish pit bulls come from from Manchester terrier ,,,show me where you ever seen this being mentioned in a article or book ,,? Manchester terriers are a local to Manchester at this time in History ,, there is no record of smooth terriers in Ireland ,,,and most Pitbull terriers recorded imports to USA from Ireland ,,ware red or white with markings ,,,

2. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

Name 10 Bull terriers matched ,,around 1900...I can name 100 that are Pitbull terrier ,,, f...rom records at the time,... as for Frisco sport ,,his dam was from show Bull terrier blood...his sire was from top APBT blood ,,, I think he turned out to be a great pit dog , despite his dams breeding , not because of it.

3. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Exactly they like to point out that Frisco was half Bull Terrier but miss the most important part that he was half APBT.....

4. italianpit

italianpit Big Dog

5. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

I think he meant red from ireland, black and tan from Manchester. just a comma missing. As for the 10 pure Bull Terriers with no Pit Bull Terrier blood being matched from dogs that I actually know the pedigree of I think that's a job for Bluedoglover, lol. I don't even know if Moore's Diamond was EBT just the names of sire and dam and that they were Austrailian imports.

Brantford Crystal was a pure English Bull Terrier show winner that when bred to pit dogs sired some fighters. He was owned by EC Norman Bennett who kept EBT and Pit Bull Terriers. Bennett was a fan of the fighting ability of the Pure EBT in try outs, not sure about actual matches.

Brantford Crystal 2 1909.jpg Brantford Crystal 3 1909.jpg Brantford Crystal 1909 offspring pitted.jpg Brantford Crystal 1910.jpg Doc 1910 1.jpg Doc 1910 2.jpg Doc 1910 3.jpg Doc 1910 4.jpg Hyland Crystal 1909.jpg Williams Lady 1917.jpg

6. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Interning adverts but let's not forget these men were salesmen, they didn't let the truth get in the way of a Dime....

Dusty Road and Robertosilva like this.
  7. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

True, they could pretty much say what they wanted as long as they were paying for adverts. The often comical "winner of seven battles" which seemed to be some sort of magical number plucked out of thin air and repeated by many a dogman.

As well as guaranteeing every puppy in a litter to be dead game, lol.

Dusty Road likes this.
  8. DogMan85

DogMan85 Banned

Yes and all these sires are dead game too....

Dusty Road likes this.
  9. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

I read some where that the Irish had a lot of little black very inbred/line bred game dogs. Can't remember where I read it though.

10. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Irish Imports 1.jpg Irish Imports 2.jpg Irish Imports 3.jpg Irish Imports 4.jpg Irish Imports 5.jpg Irish Imports 6.jpg Irish Imports 7.jpg Irish Imports 8.jpg Irish Imports 9.jpg Irish Imports 10.jpg

italianpit, DogMan85 and Box Bulldog like this.
  11. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I dont know even what yawl are arguing about?....I dont think anyone here is saying that the EBT is better then the APBT when it comes to fighting so I dont see what all the fuss is about? Or am I missing something here? LOL

italianpit and Box Bulldog like this.
  12. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

same as nearly every thread on here, a bunch of random bullshit nothing to do with the original topic.

Box Bulldog likes this.
  13. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

You are 100% correct. The thread was started by me asking if anyone could tell me if my gr. Grandfathers dog was a pit bulldog, a bull terrier or a mix of the two. Then most agreed at one time or another over the years there has been a few bull terriers that showed some ability. Then there is the few others that stated that they are nothing but a useless cur show pony and none have ever had any ability. And a lot of the thread turned into a pissing match. But there is some very good information posted and great old pictures. But you are corrected no one ever stated that the bull terrier is better or a replacement for a APBT which is king of the box and always will be. Some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing some will argue black is white and so on instead of reading some very good historical writing from some people that have a wealth of knowledge about the breed. I personally enjoyed most of thread and have learned a lot from it. There is nothing wrong with s friendly debate but one cant argue with a fool.

Scratch Pattersons likes this.
  14. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Oldie but a goodie.

"They're sooo both determined lol"

15. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I don't care much that things go way off topic, when it does Robertosilva starts dropping that old school info on ya ass.

On topic or off,
    You gonna learn today!.
    Lol

Box Bulldog likes this.
  16. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Lol, yeah I am full of rubbish. The same OCD like Elias with his crazy Peds but with old crap instead.

italianpit likes this.
  17. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

Honestly you should write a book. I would buy it.

18. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

I think there are enough books on the history of the dogs written by actual dogmen. I have given up on trying to catolgue and save all the old stuff I can find, it's an endless task and unless the person writing it was there at the time it is all Newspaper, Magazine, old books and re-writing all that information. For example Cockney Charlie's Paddy was described as a white and red dog in a kennel visit in the Newspaper in 1880, in his match with Tricksy he was described as white and yellow, and in others white and brindle. That's just a simple colour and that isn't even consistant let alone all the various opinions on any reported old contests. There was an old article early 1900's that stated something along the lines of; you can have 10 people all witness the same contest but all of those will reccount different versions of the same event.

italianpit and Box Bulldog like this.
  19. Box Bulldog

Box Bulldog Top Dog

That dog Rose you posted that I am fond of, have ever seen in recent times a dog that is similar put together or did I miss out by 150 years? There is nothing wrong with most of the dogs today but to be honest I like the dogs of 100+ years ago far better. There was far more selection of build and size and looks back then.
    Bull Terrier 1863.jpg

20. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

That's kind of why I like the old dogs just because of the variation, you never know what you are gonna get, like a box of chocolates, lol. That Rose is a strangely built dog and a great photo quality wise for the time, very detailed. If only the old Pit dogs could have been photographed and displayed as well, that would be amazing. Sadly early show dogs were photographed and even video'ed better than even the later pit dogs. There are still some incredible variations in pit winners today. There's not so many white dogs as they were bred into all the others and generally it's the foreign dogs of the eastern european dogs that have that white and brindle patches. My mutt looks a little like that markings wise and muzzle.

Box Bulldog likes this.